4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 12:19 PM by May Bakken

Concerns on Beta Testing Program

Srinivas Merugu
      Share This:

Hi,

Can anybody answer the below questions regarding Beta testing program ?

1) Who will be providing infrastructure for the testing - Is it BMC or Person who enrolled for beta testing has to arrange the infrastructure ?

2) Will there be a restriction on candidate that he needs to submit the beta testing results within a given time frame ?

3) What if the candidate does not find any bugs ?

4) What will candidate get from this beta testing program ?

Thanks,

Srini

• 1. Re: Concerns on Beta Testing Program
          Laurent Matheo

1°) It's on your environment most of the time, so a virtual machine, an esx, your ROD environment...

2°) Beta programs are limited in time, most of the time you have a wrap up survey at the end of the beta. So if you discover bugs after the deadline well it can be "too late"...

3°) Well... Nothing happens... There is no "punishment" if that's the question

4°) No money if that's the question, nor fame, nor women (or men). Actually it's funny because I presented that at wwrug 13 Basically you helped BMC (or an editor) to test a software, find bugs... but you also learned the new features ahead of the others, you have access the the development team and you can ask questions on the features and maybe give some ideas.

• 2. Re: Concerns on Beta Testing Program
            Srinivas Merugu

I thought BMC will provide the virtual environment

• 3. Re: Concerns on Beta Testing Program
              Laurent Matheo

Hummm I can speak for those I followed:

-> ITSM: it was a "on premise" solution, so I created a VM or used an ESX I have at my disposal at work,

-> Mobility: same.

-> ADDM: you have to download the appliance,

-> MyIT: you needed to have your ROD environment.

Sometimes BMC provides a test environment. It actually happened once for one of the ITSM beta but it doesn't happen every time and it's less interesting since you can't really test what you want, get logs, do "crazy tests", stuff like that...

• 4. Re: Concerns on Beta Testing Program
                May Bakken

Srini, please email customer_programs@bmc.com with your contact details so I can address all your concerns and question. What company are you from?

1) Who will be providing infrastructure for the testing - Is it BMC or Person who enrolled for beta testing has to arrange the infrastructure ?

*This all depends on the program you are accepted into. Each beta program can be vastly  different.

2) Will there be a restriction on candidate that he needs to submit the beta testing results within a given time frame ?

*Again This all depends on the program you are accepted into. Each beta program can be vastly  different.

3) What if the candidate does not find any bugs ?

*Then that is amazing! Not all betas are about finding bugs. The most important thing we are looking for is "Customer feedback and experience" too. Beta sometimes is "misunderstood" as being a bug hunting adventure

4) What will candidate get from this beta testing program ?

*There are many benefits from being accepted into a beta program. You get early access into a product/solution that is not generally available to the public and your feedback may also affect how the product is being built. Each beta program may have "rewards" for active interaction as we appreciate all our Customers' time and commitment in testing our program. I could tell you more over the phone as I feel you are very new to BMC Beta Programs and would love to address any questions you may have.

We also ask for a Support ID from our tester because it is important if you encounter any issues during testing, we are able to address it in a timely manner.

Thank you for your questions and interest in BMC Customer Programs.

May Bakken

BMC Customer Programs.

Laurent Matheo for your 2cents also. Laurent is out of our top testers and it is always nice to hear our Customer's experience with betas he has participated in.