7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2014 11:28 PM by Yashaswi KC Branched to a new discussion.

RSCD Agent upgrade

Hi All,

Background: Most of our infrastructure has 7.4.4 RSCD agents. We are aiming to upgrade all our windows servers to 8.2.01.

I am carrying out tests on a windows dev server that had a 8.2.01 agent.

I prepped the environment by uninstalling the 8.2.01 agent and installing the 7.4.4 RSCD agent.

I have created a file deploy job with the following source:

• {Server}/C/tmp/RSCD82-SP1-WIN32.msi

I have preserved source file paths to ensure that the file goes on /C/tmp/ of the target server.

The job has the following post command:

msiexec /I "C:\tmp\RSCD82-SP1-WIN32.msi" /qn /log instalrscd.log REBOOT=ReallySuppress

(The 7.4.4 RSCD agent is 32bit.)

The job results are as follows:

InfoJan 16, 2014 10:05:01 AMCopy //{server}/C/tmp/RSCD82-SP1-WIN32.msi -> /C/tmp/RSCD82-SP1-WIN32.msi ... Done
      InfoJan 16, 2014 10:05:02 AM+ /job_2113013.2_postcmd.bat
      InfoJan 16, 2014 10:05:04 AMExit Code 0

However the installation log ends with the following:

Property(S): USERNAME = Windows User

Property(S): PackageCode = {2FE416DE-85FC-4672-BE2B-BB3A8712B83A}

MSI (s) (D4:D0) [11:14:18:227]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (s) (D4:D0) [11:14:18:227]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent. Product Version: 8.2.01.273. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: BMC Software, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

=== Logging stopped: 16/01/2014  11:14:18 ===

• 1. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade

After looking through the install log I have found additional information:

Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_UNINSTALL = Uninstalling COM+ application: [1]

Property(S): IS_PREVENT_DOWNGRADE_EXIT = A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard.

It seems that something may have been left behind from the initial RSCD agent (8.2.01), does anyone know how to clean up the remnants?

I used the control panel to operate the uninstall.

• 2. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade
            Bill Robinson

hklm\software\bladelogic ?

• 3. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade

Ok, uninstalled the 7.4.4 agent again.

Removed the following bladelogic folders:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\BladeLogic\"

"C:\Windows\rsc\"

Removed the registry folder hklm\software\bladelogic

Reinstalled the 7.4.4 RSCD agent manually using "RSCD744-735-W32.EXE"

Used the autolic command

Pushed the ACLs

Ran the 8.2.01 RCSD agent file deploy & install job described above.

Install log contains the following result:

Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_INSTALL = Installing COM+ application: [1]

Property(S): IS_COMPLUS_PROGRESSTEXT_UNINSTALL = Uninstalling COM+ application: [1]

Property(S): IS_PREVENT_DOWNGRADE_EXIT = A newer version of this application is already installed on this computer. If you wish to install this version, please uninstall the newer version first. Click OK to exit the wizard.

Property(S): PackageCode = {2FE416DE-85FC-4672-BE2B-BB3A8712B83A}

MSI (s) (14:80) [13:58:39:465]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Installation operation failed.

MSI (s) (14:80) [13:58:39:465]: Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent. Product Version: 8.2.01.273. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: BMC Software, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

However higher up in the log file:

Property(S): OLD_VERSION = 7.4.4.735

I ran an agentinfo which returned:

{Server}:

Agent Release   : 7.4.4.735

Hostname        : {Server}

Operating System: WindowsNT 6.1 (x86_64)

User Permissions: BladeLogicRSCD@GBAHES789->{Local User Account}:PrivilegeMapped (Identity via trust)

Security        : Protocol=5, Encryption=TLS1

Host ID         : 10AE49B6

# of Processors : 2

License Status  : Licensed for NSH/CM

I must be doing something wrong?

Would installing a 32 bit client onto a 64bit server cause this?

• 4. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade
                Bill Robinson

Are you trying to upgrade a x86 7.4 agent to a x64 8.2 agent?

Afaik that won’t work.

• 5. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade

No i'm trying to upgrade a x86 7.4.4 agent to a x86 8.2.01 agent.

The server is 64 bit but I'm using it as a test bed prior to rolling out the upgrade across our infrastructure.

• 6. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade
                    Yanick Girouard

To be on the safe side, always use the installer of the same platform as the server you're installing it on. You should only be testing 32bit installers on 32bit OS. I'm afraid you'll need to find a 32bit version of Windows to test this upgrade on. Before troubleshooting further, I would try with the right platform and see if the same issue occurs again.

• 7. Re: RSCD Agent upgrade

Uninstallation of your older version will not completed successfully, but it may show the message.

Please do the below steps to uninstall the application clearly.

FYI : InstallShield created executable will always have their own silent switch to install and uninstall.

Find the silent switch in the mentioned below registry pathe. product code differe from system to system

Search for the string mentioned below : find the RSCD agent product code ,

1.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ (Product Code)

2. if you have not found the silent switch Msiexec /x (Product Code)

Reinstall and upgrade it.