4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 10:21 AM by Sorin Gancea

How to install blcli on a UNIX target - BSA 8.3.0

Sorin Gancea

Hello,

I want to integrate blcli calls inside BLPackages and I read that this is possible if blcli is installed on target server.

How to do this, having BSA 8.3.0 and targets are Linux, Solaris and AIX?

Regards,

Sorin

• 1. Re: How to install blcli on a UNIX target - BSA 8.3.0
          Bill Robinson

You need to install the bsa client on the target.  I don’t recommend this.  why do you need to run blcli inside the blpackage ?  what are you trying to do ?  it may make more sense to use the webservices (rest/soap) interface to bsa instead.  for that you would not need anything installed on the target other than something that can make ws calls – eg wget, curl, perl, etc.

• 2. Re: How to install blcli on a UNIX target - BSA 8.3.0
            Sorin Gancea

Well, my client had the idea to set server custom attributes inside a blpackage that deploys also content. I saw in one of your posts that might be possible so I was just curios to see how this works.

They're using NSH script jobs for setting the attributes and then deploy jobs for installing sw. This is done using a batch job.

I tried to reduce the complexity by only having one job, for a blpackage, that includes also blcli calls.

• 3. Re: How to install blcli on a UNIX target - BSA 8.3.0
              Bill Robinson

i would look at web service calls and not the blcli - trying to install the gui across all your severs just to run blcli calls makes no sense to me.

one thing you might want to think about is that i believe most properties are resolved when the job starts to run, so unless your commands are pulling the property values during the deploy that they need, you won't be able to set a value in the blpackage then reference it like ??TARGET.BLAH?? - you'd need a ws call to resolve BLAH on the current server.

• 4. Re: How to install blcli on a UNIX target - BSA 8.3.0
                Sorin Gancea

yes, it seems more logical to have web services that will trigger dedicated jobs

your assumption was right, the values are to be set, not read

I'll close this post here, I've got the answer I needed

thank you Bill