You probably should log a support ticket for this, but in any case, more details are needed (either for support or here)
Remove the max heap size allocation and reboot the windows box and see if that works... otherwise as Jim mentioned, please open a ticket with us.
how much memory is in the system ?
what is the error in the log ?
x64 or x86 ?
you have the max heap set where? per instance or in the registry ?
Thanks you all for the replies
Jim and Bill, following are the details:
BSA version - 8.2
OS - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Architecture - x86
RAM - 48GB
I had set the heap size during the app server installation (when it is asked to enter a value between 512MB and 3GB). I have 2 instances now and haven't set the maxheapsize in the infrastructure management window. Also, there is nothing in the appserver logs. But if I check the console log, I see Java Runtime Exception which I believe comes when the total memory for the instance is consumed. I have seen the total memory for the instance go over 250MB a few times and at that time, the app server instance works for a longer duration.
I tried that as well but the results were same.
can you include the actual error ?
what is the max heap set to in the registry (HKLM\Software\BladeLogic\Operations Manager or something like that)
A "Java Runtime Exception" can occur for many reasons. It would probably be followed by a more specific error.
Before we too deep into changing heapsizes etc, I think we should pause and review the following:
1) The console.log which you said has the error
I apologise to reply so late here. I had quite a long vacation .
I had opened a support ticket for this issue and the initial response from support was that the app server was failing while importing certain objects and it is not able to handle certain threads. They asked for logs in debug mode. It is at this point when the problem got resolved on its own. I tried to replicate the issue but could not. So, we do not know what was the actual cause and how it got resolved. Once again, thank you all for your help and thoughts.
No problem. Thanks for the update.
The first time you start an appserver after install, and often after an upgrade, some out of box content is installed and this can take a while (minutes). It could be that the Windows Service timed out waiting for this to complete but the appserver correctly continued the import and then startup in the background.
If multiple appservers are started at the same time, either on the same server or different, some of them may throw errors as the other appserver has already started the import. What probably happened is that, eventually, this content import was completed and then every subsequence appserver restart did not have any more content to import so there were no problems.