8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2014 1:40 PM by John O'Toole

Appserver works for a minute and then stops

I have installed an application server on a windows 2003 box. After starting the services, it works for a min and then stops. The logs suggest Java runtime error. It is the default installation i.e.just one server instance of type ALL. Heap size is set as 1024MB but it just uses around 200MB for the instance. Earlier, I had 4 server instances running on the same box which were running fine. But after the reinsallation, it just doesn't. I tried to increase the -Xss value (default is 1m) but in that case the service doesn't start. What could be wrong here?

• 1. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops
          Jim Wilson

You probably should log a support ticket for this, but in any case, more details are needed (either for support or here)

BSA Version

O/S Details

AppServer Log 

• 2. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops
            Isaac Matta

Remove the max heap size allocation and reboot the windows box and see if that works... otherwise as Jim mentioned, please open a ticket with us.

Regards,

Isaac

• 3. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops
              Bill Robinson

how much memory is in the system ?

what is the error in the log ?

x64 or x86 ?

you have the max heap set where? per instance or in the registry ?

• 4. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops

Thanks you all for the replies

Jim and Bill, following are the details:

BSA version - 8.2

OS - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2

Architecture - x86

RAM - 48GB

I had set the heap size during the app server installation (when it is asked to enter a value between 512MB and 3GB). I have 2 instances now and haven't set the maxheapsize in the infrastructure management window. Also, there is nothing in the appserver logs. But if I check the console log, I see Java Runtime Exception which I believe comes when the total memory for the instance is consumed. I have seen the total memory for the instance go over 250MB a few times and at that time, the app server instance works for a longer duration.

Issac,

I tried that as well but the results were same.

• 5. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops
                  Bill Robinson

can you include the actual error ?

what is the max heap set to in the registry (HKLM\Software\BladeLogic\Operations Manager or something like that)

• 6. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops
                    John O'Toole

A "Java Runtime Exception" can occur for many reasons. It would probably be followed by a more specific error.

Before we too deep into changing heapsizes etc, I think we should pause and review the following:

1) The console.log which you said has the error
                    2) AppServerLauncher.log

Thanks,

John

• 7. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops

I apologise to reply so late here. I had quite a long vacation .

I had opened a support ticket for this issue and the initial response from support was that the app server was failing while importing certain objects and it is not able to handle certain threads. They asked for logs in debug mode. It is at this point when the problem got resolved on its own. I tried to replicate the issue but could not. So, we do not know what was the actual cause and how it got resolved. Once again, thank you all for your help and thoughts.

• 8. Re: Appserver works for a minute and then stops
                        John O'Toole

Hi Vikas,

No problem. Thanks for the update.

The first time you start an appserver after install, and often after an upgrade, some out of box content is installed and this can take a while (minutes). It could be that the Windows Service timed out waiting for this to complete but the appserver correctly continued the import and then startup in the background.

If multiple appservers are started at the same time, either on the same server or different, some of them may throw errors as the other appserver has already started the import. What probably happened is that, eventually, this content import was completed and then every subsequence appserver restart did not have any more content to import so there were no problems.

Thanks,

John