12 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2016 12:20 PM by Robert Accardi

How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?

Share This:

Hello,

I have two escalations. Both are triggered on each edit (no matter if customer or agent) and are not re-escalated. The first escalation checks the priority of the ticket and based on that sets the ticket color. The second one checks the ticket categorization and based on that assigns a ticket to a particular person. Both escalations are working correctly when are triggered independently. But when my edit triggers both escalations (like changing the priority and categorization of the ticket) only the first one is triggered. Do I miss something? I expect both escalations to trigger on the ticket edit but it seems that only one can be triggered at a time. Can I change somehow escalations behavior?

FP 11.6.

• 1. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
          Robert Accardi

That's where the "re-escalate" option comes in. When an escalation acts on an issue, that issue is said to be in an escalated state. All other escalations will pass over an issue that is in an escalated state unless it is an escalation that has the "re-escalate" option checked.

An edit manually carried out to the issue by a user will clear the escalated state from the issue. In your case you want 2 escalations to fire in sucession so there is no chance that a user will come along and edit the issue in between escalation 1 and escalation 2. You need to set the "re-esclate" option on escalation to true.

But be careful: once you set this option on an edit-based escalation, the text next to the option changes to say that when it is checked, the escalation will only fire once, ever, on a given issue. So in order to get escalation 2 to run after escalation 1 you need to give up the possibility of ever having escalation 2 run twice on an issue. There are workarounds for this, but first let me know if it's actually going to be a problem

Rob Accardi

RightStar Systems

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?

I need to have those escalations fire every time they match the ticket conditions. I cannot use re-escalate therefore.

I just gave you example, on my system I have way more complicated setup but I need a way to trigger multiple escalations on a single edit.

• 3. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?

Hello,

Are you running this as an Instant Escalation?

If so, there is an MRlocalDefs variable that can be added to allow Instant Escalation to be recurring.

1) The footprints\cgi\MRlocalDefs file needs to be edited. Make a backup copy of this file.

2) Now open the MRlocalDefs file in a text editor such as notepad or WordPad.

3) Insert the following variable on a line by itself:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS = 1; #This is a global variable and will affect every instant escalation in your system.

or you can try:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[PROJ#][ESC#] = 1; # where PROJ# is the workspace number where the escalation is running and ESC# is the escalation number.

You will need to create a separate variable for each escalation you would want to apply this to if you only want specific Instant Escalations to have this functionality.

4) Ensure this line is above the current last line of the file which currently has a "1;"

and should be below the line that has:

### Location of footprints root directory ##################################

5) Then save the file.

Be advised, as with all MRlocalDef variables, this was created to work in code from a previous version of FootPrints Service Core.

As new releases are implemented, and code is modified, there is the possibility that variables that worked in previous versions of FootPrints Service Core will not work in newer versions.

If adding this variable does not give you the results you are looking for, then an enhancement request will need to be created to get this functionality to work in the latest version of FootPrints Service Core.

• 4. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?

This looks like a solution to my problem. However I have 2 questions:

1. How Re-Escalated escalations are affected by this change?

2. The escalation number I have to use is the ID in the escalations table or different one?

• 5. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?

Hello,

Sorry for just getting back to this.

To answer your questions:

1) Any Instant Escalation that has the "Re-escalate Issue..." checkbox checked will still fire off whenever a ticket is created or edited, and the ticket meets the escalation criteria, whether or not another escalation has already fired off on that ticket during that edit. Instead of firing off only once, ever on that ticket as the checkbox explanation indicates, if the ticket is edited again, and meets that escalation's criteria, it will fire off again, and will do so each time the ticket is edited, and still meets that escalation's criteria. This will occur for all instant escalations, in all workspaces, if you use the global variable, and specific escalations if you use the individual escalation variable(s).

2) Use the escalation ID listed on the escalation table. However, if you move another escalation to a spot above that escalation in the list, then it's escalation ID will change, and the variable will need to be adjusted.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
                    Peter Prosen

Can i turn it on for one project at a time by using:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[145] = 1

• 7. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
                      Robert Accardi

Peter, the MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS MRlocalDef variable will allow an escalation to run multiple times against a particular ticket while also having the re-escalate option checked. It's the best of both worlds.

There's just a couple of things regarding the syntax.

1. the variable is a 2-dimensional array. The first level identifies a workspace id #. Beneath each workspace id# entry of the array is another array, which identified an escalation id.

2. the escalation ids you see in the table listing all escalations can change as you delete or re-order escalations. Don't use those ids! Escalations have another id that never changes. You can find this ID by selecting an escalation and clicking the Escalation Details button. Look at the title bar of the popup window that appears (the bar that has the FP icon in it). The title will say something like  "My Escalation (ID=56)"

Here's an example where the workspace id is 11 and the escalation id # (obtained from the title bar of the escalation details popup window) is 44:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11][44] = 1;

If I later wanted to also enable this functionality for escalation #55 under workspace 11, I could add a new line to MRlocalDefs:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11][55] = 1;

or I could change the existing line to this:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11] = [44, 55];

I could even set up multiple workspaces by creating the entire array in one statement like this:

@MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS = (

11 => [44, 55, 66],

12 => [42, 52],

13 => ["ALL"]

);

Rob Accardi

RightStar Systems

• 8. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
                        Peter Prosen

Can I do:

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11]["ALL"] = 1;

so that all escalations in project 11 are recurring escalations.

• 9. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
                          Robert Accardi

Yes, you can. Make sure it's all caps.

Rob Accardi

RightStar Systems

• 10. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?

Hi Jeffrey Honig

i have the same issue but running as an Time-Based

• 11. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
                              Paul Tipping

In  version 11.6.09 this type of line

has not worked for one customer.

We recommend using multiple lines at present

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11] = [44];

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11] = [55];

Regards

Paul

• 12. Re: How many escalations can be triggered on one ticket edit?
                                Robert Accardi

Something's wrong there in the syntax you're recommending, Paul. The second line undoes the first line. I suspect the customer had something wrong with the line

Maybe they had

$MULTIPLE_RECURRING_INSTANT_ESCALATIONS[11] = (44, 55);

which would not work.