10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2013 4:58 AM by Mike Jones

Patch Catalog smart groups empty

Steve Cupp

Here is my problem. I have an existing Windows Patch Catalog that was created under the BLAdmins role. When I switch to another role and try to open any of the smart groups under that catalog, I get nothing displayed below that smart group. If I am in as the BLAdmins role the groups populate as expected. I have created a new patch catalog under the other role and when I open the smart groups under that catalog, the smart groups populate as expected.

I don't know what I am missing here, any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
          Mike Jones

Steve

What permissions does the role you are using have on the patch catalog created by BLAdmins, also what are the permissions on the patches contained in the catalog (what role performs the update & do you apply any ACL's as part of the update job?)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
            Steffen Kreis

I think what you describe here is "works as designed".

Unless you haven't configured your RBAC model accordingly. A role does not get access to objects that have been created by other roles.

You are aware of the concept of ACL policies and ACL templates ?

RBAC itself is a massive topic and requires some thought.

In your case especially there is a default ACL policy setting per catalog that will be applied to your patch content. This is the policy which needs to include permissions for your second role that you want to use when looking are your catalog.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
              Steve Cupp

Thanks Mike, your advice got me looking in the right direction. I am still quite the noobie when it comes to BSA in general and RBAC specifically. I am not applying a ACL to the patch catalog or to the update job. I am now looking into this. Thanks again!

• 4. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                Steve Cupp

Steffan. . thanks much for this advice, I am looking at adding a RBAC Policy to the catalog in question. ACL policies and templates are still new to me so I am learning what they are and how they can be used effectively.

• 5. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                  Steve Cupp

Mike. . . I'm looking for the Patch Catalog Update job. . but not sure where to look. Is this update job auto-created at the time I run Update or is it already existing?

• 6. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                    Mike Jones

It is created when you run/schedule an update of the catalogue

If you are looking to apply an ACL policy to the patches during the update job this is done in the "Depot Object Options" panel on the patch catalogue itself

• 7. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                      Steve Cupp

Cool. . . . I've created a ACL Policy to apply the permissions I'm looking for and added it to the patch catalog. Below is a screenshot.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, each time I update this catalog, the permissions I have set in the ACL policy will be applied to all the patch content for this catalog?

Steve Cupp

Automation & Deployment :: Enterprise Wintel :: 248.596.5323

• 8. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                        Mike Jones

Yes - or rather the permissions in the ACL policy will get set against everything that is downloaded

If you have an old patch catalogue and want to make sure all patches have the policy just update the permissions on them all first.

• 9. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                          Steve Cupp

I'm not sure how to update the permissions on all the patches in my existing catalog. Would I update the permissions on the patches under each of the smart groups within the catalog? If I use the Group explorer view there are many pages of patches for each smart group, I've been selecting all the patches in each page, but with so many pages I'm wondering if there is a way to select all the patches in all the pages at once.

Sorry for the simple questions. . . but I'm learning as I go here. . . thanks much!

Steve Cupp

Automation & Deployment :: Enterprise Wintel :: 248.596.5323

• 10. Re: Patch Catalog smart groups empty
                            Mike Jones

If you right click on the smartgroup and choose update permissions it will do that recursively to all the patches underneath