4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2007 4:47 PM by Cenju G. Li

BEM and Patrol for iSeries

Share This:

Hi,

My customer wants to find out:
      ====================
      what is the CLASS NAME that I can match to BEM and another event mgr to do message conversion.

eg , LOGGeneral is actually 11, 9 is CLEAR..

What is the matching name for 11, 9 events for AS400 Messages so I can output the logline based on %1-

=====================

Hope this does make sense to someone ;-)

Any assistance would be appreiated!

Regards,
      Ki

• 1. RE: BEM and Patrol for iSeries

I am confused, but hopefully the following based on my guess would make sense the other way somehow
          1. With PatrolAgent on the AS400 -- if the events are sent to BEM via the AS400 QSYSOPER mechanism, it will be straightforward: they are class PATROL_EV. You may just need a DDA table (based on message IDs for instance) to enrich/translate the "msg" slots of the events. If the events are from a log KM (do we have out-of-box log KMs on AS400?), then again, you might just need a DDA table to enrich the "msg" slot of the events.
          2. Without PatrolAgent on the AS400 -- I am not aware of other tools other than msend/mpost that can send events directly to cells. So, you may need to check if there is msend executable on AS400. If there is an AS400 version of msend, you can send any class you want BEM to process. Or you may use AS400 SNMP mechanism to have a PatrolAgent/KM to relay the messages to BEM. In this case, you might again just need a DDA table to enrich the "msg" slot of the events.

Either way, event class is apparently not an important factor here.

Regards, Cenju

• 2. RE: BEM and Patrol for iSeries

Thanks Cenju!
            I will check with the customer on this.

Regards,

• 3. RE: BEM and Patrol for iSeries

Well...I am more confused now...

I got a reply from customer as below:
              ==========================
              sorry i dont understand your answer- what is a DDA table? where can i find it?
              Also the event class PATROL_EV is the correct class to match the message line? ie has it 11 & 9? I need to monitor message queues other than QSYSOPER .

eg from my event manager:
              BEGIN_EVENT * 11 OS400_SYSTEM.*.Tot_ASP_Stg_Used
              ClassName: Processor
              InstanceName: $SYS$-$INS$
              EventName: HighUtilization
              State: $ST$
              Category: Performance
              EventText: $A6$% of the system ASP storage used.(Threshold: $A5$ to $A7$)
              Severity: $TY$
              Map: {
              TY
              BMC_WARNING = 3
              BMC_ALARM = 1
              }
              {
              ST
              BMC_OPEN = NOTIFY
              BMC_CLOSED = CLEAR
              BMC_DELETED = CLEAR
              }
              Aggregate: {
              # EventName: DegradedSymptom
              # ElementName: $SYS$
              }
              END_EVENT

BEGIN_EVENT * 9 OS400_SYSTEM.*.Tot_ASP_Stg_Used

ClassName: Processor
              InstanceName: $SYS$-$INS$
              EventName: HighUtilization
              State: CLEAR
              END_EVENT
              ============================

Does anybody answer for this?
              It doesn't look like he is talking about the BEM/IM... :?:

• 4. RE: BEM and Patrol for iSeries

Apparently your customer is using PatrolAgent to monitor AS400 and using some other kind of event manager to view the events, but now they want all events be sent to BEM. If that's correct, then they just need to implement an Impact Event Adapter (something like agent connection) on BEM machine, and those events will show up on the BEM (BTW, class 9 and 11 are normal event classes BEM expects).

DDA table is a kind of BEM tables that users can create/use to enrich/translate events "dynamically" to whatever they want to see.

Regards, Cenju