1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2015 1:16 PM by Sorin Gancea

ESXi 5.0 Provisioning

Omkar Karavade

Hi,

We are trying to provision esxi 5.0 on a physical box. Everything is going smoothly and the provisioning is completing successfully but the problem is that the job is not showing any log of what is happening and it does not complete even after the host is provisioned. We have to kill the job forcefully.

We have done the Windows provisioning on the same physical box and there we did not face any such issue. The job was showing everything that was happening throughout the provisioning process and once the host was provisioned the job was finished.

Any help on this. We have checked and the ports are properly opened since we are doing the provisioning on the same physical box where we did the provisioning of Windows.

• 1. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
          Bill Robinson

so how much of this:http://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bsa83/Provisioning+target+servers+with+ESXi+5.0

have you followed ?

and you have the bmilinux.tar in the root of the datastore ?

• 2. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
            Omkar Karavade

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply.Yes. I have exactly followed the same document. The file bmilinux.tar is present in the root of the datastore.

Just to highlight here, the provisioning is starting and  the host is getting provisioned successfully with all the given configuration. My only concern is that the app server is not able to understand the status of the provisioning and the job keeps running with no logs being shown.

This is not happening with Windows 2K8 provisioning on the same physical host.

• 3. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
              Bill Robinson

do you have a ticket open w/ support for this ?

• 4. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                Akbar Aziz

Can you post a screen-shot of your post-install tab for the ESX system package?

• 5. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                  Omkar Karavade

No Bill. I haven't opened a support ticket for this.

• 6. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                    Omkar Karavade

Hi Akbar,

Will surely do that tomorrow as today I dont't have access to those systems.

Bdw if I remember correctly we only need to provide the appserver ip and port over there (9831)

• 7. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                      Newton Nyante

along with any screenshots the following files from the target will be helpful:

/bmilinux.log

/ProvScript.log

We can review these to verify what is occurring after the OS is provisioned and we'd expect the target to report back to the application server.

• 8. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                        Sorin Gancea

Hello Newton,

I'm facing the same problem and what I can see on my provisioned ESX machine is that the content of kickstart file, from System Package,file seems not to be executed.

I couldn't find any bmilinux.log under root folder on that server.

I was able to successfully perform the wget, untar and execute the bmilinux.tar, following the sequence from kickstart tab.

Our BSA version is 8.6.1 and I tested with ESX5.1 and ESX5.5.

Do you have an idea why this is happening?

Regards,

Sorin

• 9. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                          Newton Nyante

Would we be able to see the kickstart file which was generated via your system package?  We can start reviewing this and verify the provscript is correctly being generated for you and then examine it's execution after the OS is provisioned.

• 10. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                            Akbar Aziz

Have you looked at this ZipKit for ESXi 5.0 as an example? Blade ZipKit - System Package - VMware ESXi 5.1

• 11. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                              Sorin Gancea

Sure, here is the kickstart file content:

accepteula

keyboard 'German'

network --bootproto=dhcp --device=vmnic0

clearpart --firstdisk=local --overwritevmfs

rootpw --iscrypted $1$FGFGFGFG$LTS6jQgd0vOiePg3Bmu5N.

install --firstdisk=local --overwritevmfs

reboot

%firstboot --interpreter=busybox

cd /

touch provscript

esxcfg-vmknic --enable-ipv6 true

echo "esxcfg-vmknic -i AUTOCONF -p \"Management Network\"" >> provscript

echo "cd /" >> provscript

echo "connected=1" >> provscript

echo "cnt=0" >> provscript

echo "echo \$cnt" >> provscript

echo "while [ \$cnt -lt 5 ]" >> provscript

echo "do" >> provscript

echo "cnt=\$((cnt+1))" >> provscript

echo "echo \"Trying to connect datastore=<pxe_IP> Retry count is \$cnt\"" >> provscript

echo "wget http://<pxe_IP>/pxestore/bmilinux.tar -O bmilinux.tar" >> provscript

echo "if [ \$? -eq 0 ]" >> provscript

echo "then" >> provscript

echo "echo \"breaking\"" >> provscript

echo "connected=0" >> provscript

echo "break" >> provscript

echo "fi" >> provscript

echo "sleep 180" >> provscript

echo "done" >> provscript

echo "echo \"Checking datastore connection status...\"" >> provscript

echo "echo \"Datastore connection result \$connected\"" >> provscript

echo "if [ \$connected -eq 0 ]" >> provscript

echo "then" >> provscript

echo "echo \"Connection to datastore successful\"" >> provscript

echo "wget http://<pxe_IP>/pxestore/bmilinux.tar -O bmilinux.tar" >> provscript

echo "tar -xvf bmilinux.tar">> provscript

echo "chmod +x bmilinux">> provscript

echo "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=\$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/">> provscript

echo "./bmilinux <app_srv_IP> 9831 10-00-00-60-98-60 >> /bmilinux.log" >> provscript

echo "rm -f bmilinux" >> provscript

echo "rm -f bmilinux.tar" >> provscript

echo "rm -f libblssl.so.0.9.8" >> provscript

echo "rm -f libblcrypto.so.0.9.8" >> provscript

echo "rm -f random.byt" >> provscript

echo "else" >> provscript

echo "echo \"Could not connect to datastore <pxe_IP>\"" >> provscript

echo "fi" >> provscript

echo "#BLPROV:" >> /etc/rc.local

cat provscript >> /etc/rc.local

echo "match=\`grep -n '^#BLPROV:\$' \$0 |cut -d ':' -f 1\`" >> /etc/rc.local

echo "BL_START=\`expr \$match - 1\`" >> /etc/rc.local

echo "head -\$BL_START \$0 > /etc/rc.local.new" >> /etc/rc.local

echo "cp /etc/rc.local.new /etc/rc.local" >> /etc/rc.local

reboot

rm -f provscript

The IPs of PXE and App srvs are correct, I replaced them with placeholders.

I provisioned ESXi with version 5.1 and 5.5 and I couldn't find any /bmilinux.log on provisioned servers.

Sorin

• 12. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                                Newton Nyante

The kickstart file looks okay.  Perhaps the provscript is not being executed for some reason?  Do you see /ProvScript.log or /root/http.log (wget should create this by default upon execution)?

• 13. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                                  Sorin Gancea

I removed from kickstart the last line (rm -f provscript) so that the script provscript, created in root folder of the provisioned server isn't deleted when provisioning ends.

I re provisioned a server but I couldn't find a provscript file in root folder.

I have no idea why this is happening - no provscript is created during kickstart provisioning on my ESX target.

On ESX there is no /root folder and when I executed manually the wget command, in shell (wget http:/<pxe_IP>/pxestore/bmilinux.tar -O bmilinux.tar) no log file was created for wget command execution.

For ESX provisioning there is no /ProvScript.log created.

• 14. Re: ESXi 5.0 Provisioning
                                    Sorin Gancea

I found out that VMWare changed the provisioning logic starting with version 5.1:

In previous releases of ESXi, you could add custom commands in /etc/rc.local which will automatically execute after all startup scripts have finished. With the latest release of ESXi 5.1, this functionality has been moved to /etc/rc.local.d/local.sh. If you try to edit the old file, you will find that it does not allow you to write any changes. This will be important as you migrate to ESXi 5.1 kickstart if you make use of this file for any custom startup commands.

This is exactly the case I'm facing.

BMC Support is informed - ISS04525635

Regards,

Sorin

1 2 Previous Next