1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 3:15 PM by Bill Robinson

Agent install fail to start Service

Tal Abramson

On one of my boxes the agent installation failed when trying to start the agent service

There is no log

I tried manually strating the service:

c:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD>agentctl.exe start

Warning - Could not start the service, Error Code = 1053

c:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD>net start RSCDsvc

The service is not responding to the control function.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2186.

I also noticed the blade user is missing

Agent version is 8.2 SP3

• 1. Re: Agent install fail to start Service

Hi,

Cab you please share the appserver logs

C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\NSH\br\appserver.log

Regards

• 2. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
            R V

What's your environment? 2003, 2008, Cluster, AD in use? There is some problem with an agent restart because of a locked user account for the RSCD user. I think searching the communities and/or the knowledge base and/or the documentation (especially the "BMC Contributor topics"-seciont - https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bsa82/BMC+Contributor+topics ; and here especially https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bsa82/How+to+change+the+BladeLogicRSCD+account+password+on+domain+controllers ).

And what do you mean with "the blade user is missing"? Which user exactly?

• 3. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
              Tal Abramson

why would you need the appserver log? this is a new VM which is not yet added to the appserver

This is a Windows 2008 R2

This is not agent restart or agent user lockout issue

As the agent is not yet fully installed , the agent installer has failed with this :agent_install_service.jpg

I am runnning the installer like this : RSCD82-SP3-WIN64.msi PENDINGREBOOTFORCE=1 using administrator privilages

When i cancle - it roll back the agent install

So i am trying to start the service myself and then press retry

But the service will not start

And i cannot find the BladeLogicRSCD user either

• 4. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                Soundappan Shanmugam

Wild guess.. It states that not suffecient rights.. At you installing it th

admin privilege??

• 5. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                  Jim Wilson

Was there a previous version of RSCD installed?

It looks like things have go in a bit of a mess.  I personally would try reboot/uninstall or remove any RSCD/reboot

Now I have a clean environment, to try the install again.

Also, there will be an MSI install log written to the users temp folder:

Open a command prompt and:

cd %temp%

dir MSI*.log

This should give more information about any install-related problems.

• 6. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                    Tal Abramson

I am running the command prompt with administrator permission

I cannot reboot this VM at the moment (that is why i am using PENDINGREBOOTFORCE=1 )

This is a new agent install , and i tried after the first time to clean everything , and still goth same issue

I believe the issue here is with a Service failing to start "The service is not responding to the control function."

This is from the MSI logs i found :

InstallShield 0:51:47: ProductCode is {5ECA131D-C3FF-445A-A388-F85355D9B6AC}

InstallShield 0:51:47: Initializing Engine

InstallShield 0:51:59: Done Initializing...

InstallShield 0:51:59: Registering Msi Server...

InstallShield 0:51:59: Invoking script function AddRSCDDependencies

<<<< BMC_LOG_MESSAGE >>>>  INFO: Added dependencies: Netlogon LanmanServer to RSCDsvc.

<<<< BMC_LOG_MESSAGE >>>>  INFO: Not running on a domain controller.

InstallShield 0:52:01: CallScriptFunctionFromMsiCA() ends

InstallShield 0:52:01: Cleaning up temp file C:\Users\tabramso\AppData\Local\Temp\{AEFE990E-1CBE-4734-A2DB-80A797D83ADA}\ISBEW64.exe

InstallShield 0:52:01: Cleaning up temp file C:\Users\tabramso\AppData\Local\Temp\{AEFE990E-1CBE-4734-A2DB-80A797D83ADA}\ISRT.dll

InstallShield 0:52:01: Cleaning up temp file C:\Users\tabramso\AppData\Local\Temp\{AEFE990E-1CBE-4734-A2DB-80A797D83ADA}\IsConfig.ini

InstallShield 0:52:01: Cleaning up temp file C:\Users\tabramso\AppData\Local\Temp\{AEFE990E-1CBE-4734-A2DB-80A797D83ADA}\String1033.txt

InstallShield 0:52:01: Cleaning up temp file C:\Users\tabramso\AppData\Local\Temp\{AEFE990E-1CBE-4734-A2DB-80A797D83ADA}\_isres_0x0409.dll

InstallShield 0:52:01: Cleaning up temp file C:\Users\tabramso\AppData\Local\Temp\{AEFE990E-1CBE-4734-A2DB-80A797D83ADA}\setup.inx

MSI (s) (58:14) [00:52:02:387]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=StartServices,Description=Starting services,Template=Service: [1])

Action 0:52:02: StartServices. Starting services

MSI (s) (58:14) [00:52:02:761]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=1,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=1300000)

MSI (s) (58:14) [00:52:02:761]: Executing op: ServiceControl(,Name=RSCDsvc,Action=1,Wait=1,)

StartServices: Service: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent

Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (58:14) [01:05:56:040]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (58:6C) [01:13:54:165]: I/O on thread 31432 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (58:6C) [01:13:54:211]: I/O on thread 261164 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (58:6C) [01:13:54:211]: I/O on thread 404960 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (58:6C) [01:13:54:211]: I/O on thread 369684 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (58:6C) [01:13:54:211]: I/O on thread 260904 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (58:6C) [01:13:54:211]: I/O on thread 303164 could not be cancelled. Error: 1168

MSI (s) (58:14) [01:13:54:305]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Are you sure you want to cancel?

MSI (s) (58:14) [01:19:07:294]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

• 7. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                      Soundappan Shanmugam

Do u have any forced firewall in the rules??  Better reboot the machine

that might solve this issue..

• 8. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                        Juan-Luis Ortega

we have seen Error 1920 in the past (agent V. 8.2) and the workaround was to uncheck the option "secure logging" during the installation of the agent (select to customize the installation when you launch the installer)

maybe you can try this out and see if that helps.

• 9. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                          R V

As this is an msi-installer-error you might have luck with using google (or similar ;-) ) with keywords: msi error 1920. If you add "installation bmc" you get: https://communities.bmc.com/thread/87065 - maybe that leads you further.

• 10. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                            Tal Abramson

I tried removing the "secure logging" option - and the agent has been installed correctly

Thank you

• 11. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                              Martín Ponce

Hi guys,

I´m facing the same problem than Tal, but the workaround of uncheck the "secure logging", is not working for me.

Same problem, same log evidence, same response from the MSI.

Any other idea?

I tried with all these versions :
                              RSCD83-SP3-WIN32.msi

RSCD82-SP2-WIN32_0.msi

RSCD_VC81-SP4-WIN32.exe

Same problem for all.

No problem presented on a identical server configuration.

Thanks in advance.

Martin

• 12. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                                Bill Robinson

can you attach the msi logs ?

• 13. Re: Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                                  Martín Ponce

Sure Bill,

attached the log file.

Here, the part where the error appears:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

StartServices: Service: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent

MSI (s) (4C:A8) [15:04:56:544]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 3116 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 4888 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 5544 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 4412 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 740 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 1960 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:D0) [15:07:47:158]: I/O on thread 5224 could not be cancelled. Error: 127

MSI (s) (4C:A8) [15:07:47:158]: Product: BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent -- Error 1920. Service BMC Server Automation RSCD Agent (RSCDsvc) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Action ended 15:07:49: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 14. Re: Agent install fail to start Service
                                    Bill Robinson

Can you try 8.5.01 patch1 or patch2 ?

1 2 Previous Next