11 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2013 9:58 AM by Bill Robinson

BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy

Hi, based on the info we found in BSA documentation (BSA 8.3 SP1) and this forum we have implemented provisioning of Solaris systems through a socks proxy server (we used dante as that seemed to be a suggested standard socks proxy per the forums) to our remote site. All is good and working well but I have an additional question. We opened up the required proxy communication outbound to our remote site, we have a remote jumpstart server we are using for the provisioning which works well, but once a system provisions and tries to make a call back to the application server to report success (BMI callback on port 9831 per the documentation) we could not get that traffic to go through the socks proxy server and had to open up the port directly from our remote site back to our application server. From searching through the forums I see this has come up as a question/concern before. Is there a current method/standard for directing this traffic back through the remote proxy using Dante or is there some other method we could use beyond opening up traffic from our remote site directly to the Appserver?

• 1. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
          Sean Berry

To my knowledge, there's no current support for BMI callback through a SOCKS proxy.  There are some techniques to work around this, but opening up this port back through is basically the only supported way to make this work.

• 2. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
            Bill Robinson

i've used iptables and rarpd to deal w/ this.

• 3. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy

I would be very interested in any pointers/examples you could provide using

iptables/rarpd. That sounds workable. Would you have to set up iptables on

the target provisioned system to route the 9831 call to the appserver back

through the proxy?

• 4. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
                Mike Jones

We use SOCKS servers to manage most of our customers and we use iptables on the same SOCKS server to re-route BMI callback and PXE server to database.

Config below

*nat

:PREROUTING ACCEPT [367685:64059971]

:POSTROUTING ACCEPT [31596:2023624]

:OUTPUT ACCEPT [31596:2023624]

##### Primary

-A PREROUTING -d SOCKS_OUT_IP_ADDRESS -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1433 -j DNAT --to-destination DB_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS:1433

-A PREROUTING -d SOCKS_OUT_IP_ADDRESS -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9831 -j DNAT --to-destination APP_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS:9831

-A POSTROUTING -d DB_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1433 -j SNAT --to-source SOCKS_IN_IP_ADDRESS

-A POSTROUTING -d APP_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9831 -j SNAT --to-source SOCKS_IN_IP_ADDRESS

-A OUTPUT -d SOCKS_OUT_IP_ADDRESS -p tcp -m tcp --dport 1433 -j DNAT --to-destination DB_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS:1433

-A OUTPUT -d SOCKS_OUT_IP_ADDRESS -p tcp -m tcp --dport 9831 -j DNAT --to-destination APP_SERVER_IP_ADDRESS:9831

COMMIT

• 5. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
                  Bill Robinson

If pxe is in the remote network (or some other box) I just forward through there.  options 211 and 212 would point to the pxe server in that case instead of the appserver.

• 6. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy

Would setting the dhcp setting to the PXE server work for a

solaris/jumpstart build though? Would I also have to make an adjustment in

the package/job for that setting?

• 7. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
                      Bill Robinson

you would also need to set the bmi call back info in the system packages.

• 8. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
                        Mike Jones

So if you are using the SOCKS server to do the IP forwarding as in my example, then DHCP option 211 and the system package point to the SOCKS_OUT_IP_ADDRESS - different for each environment behind a different SOCKS proxy

• 9. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy

Okay, we took some time and made some progress through playing with the traffic forwarding and we do have a specific request in to get 9831 traffic open that is under review by the security team but just to clarify on your comments for using the PXE server. I understand you would set options 211/212 to the PXE server which makes sense but for option 212 since the PXE server does not seem to listen on port 9831 and from re-reading your comments you mean that you would suggest allowing port 9831 traffic from the remote PXE server to the BSA Appserver and then setting up iptables to forward 9831 traffic from the PXE server to the Appserver correct? Initially I took your comments to mean that the remote PXE server could accept those requests natively without having to forward the traffic (which would be extremely good and I could see that being extremely useful). I had assumed this would be done through the existing PXE -> BSADB connection and the job would be set to complete but checking the PXE server I see that port 9831 is not being hosted there (which is understandable with no CM server) so unless the PXE server listens on a different port for this specific purpose then you meant just forward the traffic through the PXE server. Is that correct?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
                            Mike Jones

I think Bill's comment was because he said "If pxe is in the remote network (or some other box) I just forward through there" - see above.

So you could run iptables on the PXE server to do the forwarding or you could use the SOCKS proxy, either way the 9831 needs to go back to the application server

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: BMI callback on 9831 through socks proxy
                              Bill Robinson

yep.  if for some reason you can't open up the connection directly from the target to the appserver on 9831 (or whatever the ssl port is) then you can setup some sort of forwarding or proxying from somewhere on the remote network so the target will connect to that system which is forwarded to the appserver.  a logical choice for the forwarder would be the pxe server.