7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 3:40 PM by Bill Robinson

Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow

Hi Team,

We create lots of Component Template -> Template -> Local Properties -> Instances for our deployment process.

From this we create as many components and use them to create packages in Depot.

In a day, we create hundreds of such instances.

But lately, we can feel instance creation and updating instance property values has become very slow which adds up to the overall deployment time.

Please suggest us the best practice w.r.t to instance & component creation.

Can we go ahead and delete the instance and  its associated component after the package has been created ?

Please advice us.

Thanks,

Tamil

• 2. Re: Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow
          Siddu angadi

Hi Tamil,

it is very difficult to answer your question. It is totlay depends on what is requirement of application which you are deploying.

usualy, there will one instance per application per environment. Say For example if I am deploying XYZ application for DEV, UAT and PROD.

There will be a only 3 instance to be created through life cycle of XYZ application.

These instances will be pointing to custom property, where you can change values of property frequently.

Thanks

Siddu

• 3. Re: Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow

Hi Siddu,

Thanks for your reply.

We use component Templates for 2 reasons :

1. to determine the target locations - weblogic domains - 200 totally approx.

2. to determine application packages that gets deployed - 100 daily min.

So whenever we deploy an application ear , be it a whole ear or just part of it (content),

we create an instance to that template.

Create a component from it.

add that component to package in Depot.

And deploy this BLPackage to components created in point 1 depending on the application and environment.

All this logic is done in BRPM-Jython automation scripts using BLCLI...

So the problem is Point 2. As we deploy the contents & applications daily, the number of template instances and components created from it keeps on increasing and it slows down the entire process.

Hence my Question : Whats the best way to clean up the template instances and components created from it ?

• 4. Re: Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow
              Siddu angadi

Why do not use BMA ( BMC Middleware Automation) for this?

I think for following very complicated process. Explain me, What is this instance contains? is this refering any environment related properties?

I believe you need to improve the process you are following.

To answer you question: Whats the best way to clean up the template instances and components created from it ?

You can automate the deletion process for component, however for instances, it is bit difficult and I do not have blcli commands in handy for this.

Thanks

Siddu

• 5. Re: Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow
                Bill Robinson

deletion for components is just blcli_execute Delete deleteModelObjectAndDependentObject 251 <component key>. that will delete the component and any dependent objects.

why are you creating a new instance for every deploy - do you need to re-use the old ones or are they throw away?  is there any opportunity to parametrize things here so you don't need to keep making new instances or update the psis ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 6. Re: Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your response.

Reason why I create new instances :

===========================

I create a new instance of the Template to represent each package in my build server.

Then I create a component from it by selecting the target server.

Then I create a package out of it into Depot.

Then I use that package to deploy against component groups(targets)

All the above steps I run it in BRPM Automation scripts which uses BLCLI commands.

Do you think this is not the right design ?

If so, any ideas on how to optimise this?

If not, I need to delete the component once the package has been added to the depot hoping that the associated instance gets deleted as well.

Thanks,

Tamil

• 7. Re: Bladelogic Component Template Instance creation is too slow
                    Bill Robinson

generally that sounds ok - perhaps though there is the possibility to use a single template for multiple packages - i mean - are you creating a template for each version of the same software ?  you might be able to have a single template/component for all versions of the software.

if you want to discuss this more it would probably be helpful to have a webex or something.  if you want to pm me we can set that up.