5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2013 10:48 AM by Joe Piotrowski

Component Template and Audit Job

Hi All,

I am new to BBSA. Working on BBSA 8.2

I am trying  to run Audit job getting below error.

Job Name Services - Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM

Start Time 13-Aug 2013 10:48:19 PM

End Time 13-Aug 2013 10:48:33 PM

Status Completed with Warnings

Participant Type Date Message

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Info 8/13/2013 22:48 Started running the job 'Services' with priority 'NORMAL' on application server 'WIN-RSIGB40S8H1'(2)

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Info 8/13/2013 22:48 Loading template mode audit objects

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Warning 8/13/2013 22:48 Skipping target component 'Windows Inventory (WIN-RSIGB40S8H1)' on server WIN-RSIGB40S8H1 because it is also a master

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Info 8/13/2013 22:48 Loading of template mode audit objects succeeded

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Info 8/13/2013 22:48 Executing work item Audit Job:Services; Template:Windows Inventory; Component:Windows Inventory (WIN-RSIGB40S8H1); Server:WIN-RSIGB40S8H1;  on application server: WIN-RSIGB40S8H1

WIN-RSIGB40S8H1 Info 8/13/2013 22:48 Collecting values for template part 'Services' from master

WIN-RSIGB40S8H1 Info 8/13/2013 22:48 Finished collecting values for template part 'Services' from master

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Warning 8/13/2013 22:48 No matching targets were found for component template 'Windows Inventory'. This may be because no Components are discovered on the target Servers. Or it may be due to a Template version mismatch between the master and the target where one or the other is a Snapshot; if the Component Template has been modified since the Snapshot was created, please specify an updated Snapshot in the Audit Job and try again.

Run at Aug 13, 2013 10:48:19 PM Warning 8/13/2013 22:48 The job 'Services' has succeeded with warnings

How it works.

I have followed following steps

1. I have created Component Template with parts as "services"

2. Then I created Component with a Target machine " WIN-RSIGB40S8H1"

3. Then I created Audit job with same Target machine " WIN-RSIGB40S8H1"(I have stopped one service)

How it works actually, can anyone explain it.

• 1. Re: Component Template and Audit Job
          Joe Piotrowski

When you create a Component Template, before you can run a Compliance Job against a target(s), you must first run a Discover Job against your target(s) to create the Component. Based on your error message it would appear that your Compliance Job is not finding any existing or matching Components.

But I would take a step back and ask what the goal here is. I'm assuming that you want to create a Compliance Job that looks to see if a service(s) is in a Running state or not. And when you run this Rule against your target(s) you want to see if it passes Compliance or not.

Is that what you're looking to do? If so I can help you walk through that process.

• 2. Re: Component Template and Audit Job
            Siddu angadi

You can audit same server as target server. if you want to audit same server service, I always follow below procedure:

1. Create Component Template with service as part.
            2. Run the discovery job against to the host  ( WIN-RSIGB40S8H1) or manually create component for the component template
            3. run the snapshot job against server WIN-RSIGB40S8H1, before making change on status of the service
            4. then make change on service status ( say make it stop and disable)
            5. then audit the server with snapshot ( taken in step 3) as master and target server as WIN-RSIGB40S8H1.

It should provide the audit job result with changes details you made in step 4.

Thanks

Siddu

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Component Template and Audit Job

Hey Thanks Joe

Yes you are right I want to check same use-case, but I was not clear with the steps/process I need to follow.

Thanks Siddu,

Your inputs are really help-full for me. It gives me vision which I need to fallow.

Let me test the use-case and I will get back to you.

• 4. Re: Component Template and Audit Job
                Bill Robinson

you of course need to make sure the 'discovery' conditions in the template accurately identify servers as candiates for the compliance check. for example - if your compliance check applies only to windows servers you should have a discovery condition of TARGET.OS = Windows. 

• 5. Re: Component Template and Audit Job
                  Joe Piotrowski

Let's assume the service you're interested in is Windows Update.

1. Create a new Component Template

2. On the General tab select the options you want (Deploy, Compliance, Allow Remediation for example)

3. On the Parts tab hit the green + and browse to a server and select the Windows Update service

4. On the Discover tab (optional) add logic to filter what servers this CT will run against

example: ??TARGET.OS?? = Windows

5. On the Compliance tab create a new Rule and Rule Definition

example: "Windows Service:Windows Update"."State (Windows)" = RUNNING

6. Save the CT

Right mouse click on the CT and select Discover. This will walk you through the process of running a Discover Job against your Target(s) which will create your Component.

Right mouse click on the CT and select Compliance. This will walk you through the process of running a Compliance Jobs against your Target(s). You can right mouse click on the job and select Review Results to see the results.

1 of 1 people found this helpful