2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 7:49 PM by Bill Robinson

Installing a windows service

Hi there,

I am just getting started wiht blade logic and have a few questions regarding using it to deploy a windows service.

I currently have an msi which installs and starts a windows service for me. The msi is written using wix and I have a section that looks like the following.

<ServiceInstall

Id='ServiceInstaller'

Type='ownProcess'

Vital='yes'

Name='AppName.Host'

DisplayName='AppName.Host'

Description='AppName.Host'

Start='auto'

Account='[USER]'

Password='[PASSWORD]'

ErrorControl='ignore'

Interactive='no' />

<ServiceControl

Id='StartService'

Start='install'

Stop='both'

Remove='uninstall'

Name='AppName.Host'

Wait='yes' />

Firstly when deploying through bladelogic I see it is the user localmachine\BladeLogicRSCD that runs the msi.

This causes me an issue because it looks like this user does not have logonasaservice rights, therefore I get the error

Product: AppName.Host -- Error 1920. Service 'AppName.Host' (AppName.Host) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services

Should I be giving this account extra permissions or is there another account to use for this purpose.

Secondly when I used to install the msi via the command line I let the user deploying the software pass in the username and password as command line parameters of the user that the service would be ran under. How does this work in bladelogic? Is there a way to allow the installing user to supply account details for the installation?

Appreciate any help and guidance you can provide. Also pointers to any documentation relating to installing windows services via bladelogic as I havent been able to find anything searching this site.

Thanks in advance,

Rachael