13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2013 10:02 AM by Tal Abramson

ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running

Tal Abramson

The ETL Start job is failing with message :

Another instance of the run_etl is already running.

Please execute stop_etl to terminate any pending ETL runs.

When i am runnign the ETL Stop job , it get stuck , with this log:

USER ACTION REQUIRED:

Please terminate any run_etl processes and its related processes for site id: 1

You may use windows Task Manager for the same.

Likely processes could be those with image name nsh.exe and java.exe.

Please exercise caution while terminating the processes, to ensure that this current session is not terminated.

Terminated all ETL related system processes (Y/N)? :

Job Work item cancelled. Stopping execution.

Is this script job waiting for a respond ?

I have looked and did not find any run_etl process

I manually terminate some nsh process

But still both jobs fail

Any idea?

• 1. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
          Siddu angadi

Hi Tal,

I used to get this error message when run the ETL first time. To overcome,

There should be stop_etl.nsh, run this command:

stop_etl.nsh -s 1 -v 81

Change -v to exact verion.

Quick method is to reboot the reporting server and rerun the ETL, it should work fine.

Thanks

Siddu

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
            Yanick Girouard

Which version of BDSSA are you using ?

• 3. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
              Karen Pluma Valencia

Hi:

Could you try stopping the Blreports process and then stop and start the ETL script.

• 4. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                Joe Piotrowski

Have you logged into the Metadata Navigator to see if there are any running sessions and/or errors?

• 5. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                  Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Siddu's suggestion of running the stop_etl.nsh script is the best one.  The order of steps I would suggest are:

1. log into metadata navigator

2. drill down into the failed domains (look for the red stop sign)

3. check errors starting at the lowest level into the drill down.  Many of these should be in the KB, based on the message you supplied we already know what it is.

4. run stop_ETL.nsh (stop_ETL.nsh -s1 -v 81/82/83 (depending on BSA version))

5. search on reports server for LCK files, these should be removed by the stop_ETL.nsh script, but always good to check.

Hope this helps and have a great day!

Alan

• 6. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                    Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Tal,

Can you please provide an updated status on this issue with your ETL?

Thank you.

Alan

• 7. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                      Tal Abramson

Hi all

Thanks for all the respond

I have tried rebooting both the app server and the reporting server

But still got the same behavior

I am working on 8.2.03

So i tried running the stop script directly on the reporting "stop_etl.nsh -s 1 -v 82"

I killed any process names nsh or java (the java kept coming back)

and yet the Run ETL is still failing complaining another instance of run_etl is running

I am unable to login to te Metadata Navigator as i have no idea what the BL_READERuser password is

I will see if i can find it somehow

Is there a way to change it ?

Also where should i check for any lock files ?

• 8. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                        Bill Robinson

you can reset the BL_READER password by doing this:

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bdssa83/Changing+the+BL_READER+password

(this is in the context of the 'blrptadmin' utility)

is the stop etl actually successful ?  what is the output of that run ?

• 9. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                          Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Tal,

After you change the BL_READER password, please let us know what scenario if is failing on.  There is a lck file, but the proper way to deal with that is by using the stop_etl.nsh script on the reports server, manually deleting the lock file will not handle the database changes that need to be done.

What type of DB do you have?  Oracle or SQLServer?

Alan

• 10. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                            Tal Abramson

The stop script end successful (when i am running it locally):

ddapsbbdsap01% stop_etl.nsh -s 1 -v 82
                            Stopping ETL.
                            Parameter verification:
                                Site Id:  1
                                OM Version:  82
                            Navigating to ETL path...
                            Navigating to ETL path - Completed.
                            Removing orphaned exstat files.
                            Finished removing orphaned exstat files.
                            Checking lock file for Site Id: 1
                            Lock file props.lock does not exist.
                            USER ACTION REQUIRED:
                                Please terminate any run_etl processes and its related processes for site id: 1
                                You may use windows Task Manager for the same.
                                Likely processes could be those with image name nsh.exe and java.exe.
                                Please exercise caution while terminating the processes, to ensure that this
                            current session is not terminated.
                                Terminated all ETL related system processes (Y/N)? :y
                            You have entered:  Y
                            Proceeding with Stop ETL
                            Proceeding with Database Reset.
                            Stop ETL is successful.

It keep failing as a job in blade with the same output (as if it is waiting for my respond)

I changed the password , and most of the list is green

Only failures i can see are :

JOB_PROPERTY  SUPERVISOR  19/04/2013 03:03:08  19/04/2013 03:03:11  7000  2.0

3_PROPERTY  SUPERVISOR  19/04/2013 03:02:54  19/04/2013 03:03:13  50000  18.0

0_BSARA_ETL  SUPERVISOR  19/04/2013 03:00:13  19/04/2013 03:14:10  50000  836.0

so i relized each is a chile of the other

The message of the JOB_PROPERTY  failure was :

java.lang.Exception: Error: No value to affect to this variable for DefDate:2011-04-28 11:46:47.0

DefN:null

DefV:Y

IndStore:L

ITxtDefT:null

ITxtVar:null

SessNo:18007001

VarDatatype:A

VarName:BLREPORTS.v_prop_load_status

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSqlV.execStdOrders(SnpSessTaskSqlV.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSql.treatTaskTrt(SnpSessTaskSql.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSqlV.treatTaskTrt(SnpSessTaskSqlV.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSql.treatTask(SnpSessTaskSql.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSqlV.treatTask(SnpSessTaskSqlV.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessStep.treatSessStep(SnpSessStep.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSession.treatSession(SnpSession.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.DwgCommandScenario.treatCommand(DwgCommandScenario.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.DwgCommandBase.execute(DwgCommandBase.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.e.i(e.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.g.E(g.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpScen.a(SnpScen.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpScen.localExecuteSync(SnpScen.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.tools.StartScen.actionExecute(StartScen.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.function.SnpsFunctionBaseRepositoryConnected.execute(SnpsFunctionBaseRepositoryConnected.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSql.execIntegratedFunction(SnpSessTaskSql.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSql.treatTaskTrt(SnpSessTaskSql.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSqlS.treatTaskTrt(SnpSessTaskSqlS.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessTaskSql.treatTask(SnpSessTaskSql.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSessStep.treatSessStep(SnpSessStep.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.dbobj.SnpSession.treatSession(SnpSession.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.DwgCommandScenario.treatCommand(DwgCommandScenario.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.DwgCommandBase.execute(DwgCommandBase.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.e.i(e.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.g.y(g.java)

at com.sunopsis.dwg.cmd.e.run(e.java)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:662)

• 11. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                              Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Tal,

Can you drill down further into this scenario?  There is most likely additional information that we'll need further down.

Thank you.

Alan

• 12. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                                Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

I worked with Tal in a webex and determined that there was an old LCK file that had been renamed but the extension was left LCK.  After renaming the file to .lck.old, we ran the stop_etl.nsh, got a clean stop and then ran RBAC.properties ETL successfully.

• 13. Re: ETL Start and Stop job fails with no process running
                                  Tal Abramson

Alan was able to locate a unwanted LCK file

And things back to normal