6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2013 11:09 AM by Joe Piotrowski

Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2

Drikus Carstens

Hi all,

I have a few queries that has come up.

Our customer is moving from Puppet to Bladelogic and wants to see if these tasks can be performed:

• Create a host entry in /etc/hosts
      • Update an entry in /etc/inittab
      • Create a user with uid, userid, comment, home, shell, primary group
      • Update a user's comment/home/shell/primary group
      • Create a group
      • Manage user group memberships (i.e. if a user's default groups change as specified centrally it must change everywhere)
      • Set the immutable attribute on a file
      • Set the append only attribute on a file

• Deploy a file based on first match of: filename.$hostname filename.$OSMajorVersion filename
        • ie. if there is a host specific file use that,
        • else if there is an OS version specific file use that,
        • else use a generic file for all other situations
      • Deploy a file based on first match of: filename.$hostname filename.$Architecture filename
        • ie. if there is a host specific file use that,
        • else if there is an architecture specific file (eg. x86_64, use that,
        • else use a generic file for all other situations
      • Deploy a file which is constructed by template by interpolating variable values into it, eg:
        • Create a host entry in /etc/hosts for the server with its own IP address (where server name and IP address are variables)
        • Create a TSM backup solution dsm.sys configuration file specific to a host by referencing the $backupserver variable and an array of $exclused directories
        • Create an /etc/issue file which includes the server's name and location and environment each of which are variables/properites/attributes of the server
      • Deploy a set of files to a directory based on a merge of all the files in directory.$hostname directory.$type directory, eg:
        • Deploy a set of config files for generic monitoring to /etc/nagios/nrpe.d/ and also any extra configs specified in directory.$hostname if it exits or directory.$type if it exits
      • Install a package based on the hardware manufacturer and model, eg:
        • Install VMWareTools on a VM
        • Install dsa-redhat on an IBM Blade/xSeries server
        • Install emulex management utilities on a host with an Emulex SAN card
      • Configure which users should be added to a server and which groups they should belong to
        • All Linux servers should have the Linux admins/wheel users
        • IBM TIM servers should have
          • the TIM app user created,
          • and TIM administrators users added
          • and TIM sudo group created
          • and TIM administrator users should be added to the TIM sudo group, so that on this server they can 'sudo su - ' to the TIM app user
        • Tomcat servers require the tomcat user/group and the tomcatadm group for sudo access
          • the tomcat app user created,
          • and tomcat administrators users added
          • and tomcat sudo group created
          • and tomcat administrator users should be added to the tomcat sudo group, so that on this server they can 'sudo su - ' to the tomcat app user

Do let me know if any further details are required.

Kind Regards,

Drikus

• 1. Re: Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2
          Siddu angadi

Hi Dirkus,

These all can be achieved through Bladelogic efficiently and very easily.  I would recommend you to involve your bmc account manager / sales representatives to deal with this more effectively.

Thanks

Siddu

• 2. Re: Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2
            Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Drikus,

From reading the list provided, these are all within the capabilities of BSA.  I would suggest engaging your sales team to set up a Professional Services engagement to help create the solutions that will be leveraged as well as educational services to provide the training necessary.

Alan

• 3. Re: Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2
              Siddu angadi

Hi Alan,

Is there anything which I have not covered in my reply?

Thanks

Siddu

• 4. Re: Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2
                Alan Nakashian-Holsberg

Siddu,

I hit reply before getting to the end of the "page".  Most of what is being asked would be a Professional Services engagement as opposed to a support issue.

Alan

• 5. Re: Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2
                  Yanick Girouard

BladeLogic is essentially a remote admin tool. The agents typically runs as root on Unix (but can be mapped to any user), so anything you could do as that user without live interaction (command-line based, no prompts, etc...) can be done with BladeLogic. Whether it's a command, a series of commands, a script you need to run or a file you need to copy, all of that can be done very easily with BladeLogic.

One of the strength of BladeLogic is its Network Shell language (NSH), which is essentially a mod of the zsh shell, augmented with network support (i.e. cp //server1/file.txt //server2/tmp) and with a lot of custom commands that are normalized cross-platform even between Unix and Windows.

So when you need to know if something can be executed with BladeLogic, ask the following questions:

1. Could I run it manually using a command-line shell ?
                  2. Is it fully unattended (i.e. doesn't prompt, and has no gui interface)
                  3. Are the files or commands required present on the remote server or can they be copied on the fly from another source if not ?

If the answers to these questions are all "yes", then BladeLogic can run it.

In addition to this, there's the whole Package Deployment, Compliance and Patching modules which can do a lot more than simply running commands, but based on what you've asked, you would be most interested in the NSH scripting language, NSH Script Jobs and Package Deployment.

• 6. Re: Tasks - Bladelogic 8.2
                    Joe Piotrowski

I was also suggest having them show you how to perform the same using BSA server objects vs scripting. You can create powerful compliance checks and deploy server objects as remediation in minutes, vs having to create and run scripts to accomplish the same thing.