7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2018 5:12 AM by Rolf Beutner

Configure Escalation Thread...

Hi All,

On What bases we will configure the escalation Thread for min and max. Thread in Server Information tab. Please let me know.

BR//

Sourabh Jhunjhunwala

• 1. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
          Amita Sharma

Hi Sourabh,

You need to identify how many number of escalation pools you are using in your implementation.the number of escalation pools you are using will be the max no of thread and min of thread will be 1 .

For ex- if total no of escalation pools    in your system 6 then max and min  no of thread that need to be configured server information tab will be 6 and 1 respectively.

Regards,

Amita

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
            Jayesh Panchal

Hi Sourabh ,

Generally we configure escalation pools based on number of escalation threads but to answer your question if you are having no pools configured then min thread can be 1 configured and that thread will be started during AR service startup  and will be serving the escalations and maximum thread can vary as per the requirement of pools.

• 3. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
              Pratap Dalai

Hi ,

To run multiple escalation parallel on separate threads within the escalation queue,for this we need to configure multiple thread for the escalation queue.that we can do it from server information page.

Each Escalation pool having a single thread.

Thank You,

Pratap!!

• 4. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
                Praveen Kumar Tiwari

Hi Sourabh,

Whaever the answers have been posted ,all are correct,Just i will give some more input,

Ideally in any system number of thread availability is based on number of CPU added to your server.

So once you know the number of CPU , you know the number of thread=no of PU*4 which max thread available.

Now how to allocate thread to escalation: for me simple calculation, i will visit my escalations and see how many of them may run at the same time,so this max occurance no should be given as thread for escalation.

Regards

Praveen

• 5. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
                  Jan Sierens

Praveen Tiwari schreef:

Now how to allocate thread to escalation: for me simple calculation, i will visit my escalations and see how many of them may run at the same time,so this max occurance no should be given as thread for escalation.

I don't think max threads should equal the number off escalations that run at the same time, but should be set to the highest pool number used by workflow.

In the workflow for ITSM 8.1 we see the highest pool number defined is 9. When we define max thread as 8, we can see in the escalation log that the escalation defined to run on pool 9 is running in pool 1 even if only 1 or 2 escalation threads are in use at that time.

Best regards,

Jan

• 6. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
                    LJ LongWing

I have a few utilities that can help with this particular planning.

Escalation Timeline – A Programming Legacy

This tool logs into your server and gives you a timeline of when your escalations are supposed to run

Escalation Runtime – A Programming Legacy

This tool analyzes an Escalation log and tells you which escalations executed in which pools for how long, how many records they modified

Thread Counter – A Programming Legacy

This tool provides a check on your Thread situation, one of which is your Escalation Pools that are defined, and how many threads are configured, making a recommendation to change it to match the pools defined if not configured properly.

• 7. Re: Configure Escalation Thread...
                      Rolf Beutner

Hello,

seems with 9.1.3 the EscalRuntime does not work, maybe cause of slightly changed Format(?):

E:\Program\ShrdApps\APLEscalationRuntime-2.0>.\APLEscalationRuntime.bat

Error parsing Date format "EEE MMM dd yyyy hh:mm:ss.SSS": Unparseable date: "Tue Oct 23 2018 10:38:32.089"

The row in logfile says: (SSSS not SSS)

<Overlay-Group: 1         > /* Tue Oct 23 2018 10:38:32.0890 */

When I do a replace/delete of last Zero = "0 */" with " */"

<Overlay-Group: 1         > /* Tue Oct 23 2018 10:38:32.0890 */

it complains about

Error parsing Date format "EEE MMM dd yyyy hh:mm:ss.SSS": Unparseable date: "Tue Oct 23 2018 10:38:32.08"