2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2013 10:08 AM by Joe Piotrowski

Testing Components w/n Component Template

Rob Slattery

I would like some more detailed information regarding compliance job results.  I've read the BladeLogic User Guide and only two of the five columns that are displayed on the bottom pane of a compliance result, are addressed.  I've sort of come up with my own definitions but was wondering if someone would verify what I've come up with.

Left Hand Side - Represents the configuration object or property to be compared against to the value in the right hand side.

This was mostly taken from the user guide but is this basically what BladeLogic is using to get information from on a target server?

Left Value - This is the actual value of what the compliance job found on a target.

Right Hnad Side - The value to be compared against the configuration object or poperty on a target.

This was mostly taken from the user guide but is this basically stating that the compliance rule is using a configuration object or a property to look for specific settings on a server object?

Right Value - What the complaince rule is expecting or would like to see on a target once a compliance job has run.

Please let me know if I've interpreted any of this correctly.

• 1. Re: Testing Components w/n Component Template
          Siddu angadi

You interpretation is correct, this will apply for compliance rule used to compare the company standards against existing/current server configurations.  Refer the below example, As per company stand windows firewall service should be stopped, so I have created compliance rule:

• 2. Re: Testing Components w/n Component Template
            Joe Piotrowski

In my experience the results can vary depending on the Rule. For example, if I'm checking to see if a registry key value equals a certain value and it matches, it won't show the Left and Right values, they will be blank if Compliant. If it fails Compliance it will then show the Left and Right values.

Loops can give unexpected results (at least to me) as well. Let's say you create an Exists Loop that looks through all the Processes on a Linux server to see if any Command contains the string "rscd." The overall rule may show as Compliant (not bold) but within the Rule the line:

Command contains "rscd"

Will return as red/bold. And when you select the line to review the Left and Right values, you will see every Process that didn't contain the rscd string listed. And you won't see the value where the match was true. Which can be confusing when you see it the first time.