1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2014 8:54 PM by Bill Robinson

BSA Provisioning SuSE Linux

Jared Murrell

I've been trying to provision SuSE Linux Enterprise Server with BladeLogic, but I'm running into a little snag. SuSE has a bug that causes it to randomly assign network interfaces when it boots up, so setting "eth0" doesn't do much good when they network interfaces are physically connected to different network segments. My server has 8 network interfaces, and it's purely random which one is chosen each time it boots. This causes the server to sometimes start the provisioning, but it never finishes if it starts at all. I found a kernel entry that helps: udev.rule="mac=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx,name,eth0", but this is not dynamic. I can set 'udev.rule="mac=??MAC_ADDRESS_CD??,name=??NET_DEVICE??"', but this keeps the MAC address in all caps, which the UDEV rule ignores. Is there a way to create a custom property that converts this MAC_ADDRESS_CD to lower-case?

Also, when booting this server is goes through the entire process, but at the end it hangs. Here's the output from the console:

insserv: Starting rscd depends on S91Provscript and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!

insserv: Starting rscd depends on S91Provscript and therefore on system facility `$all' which can not be true!

insserv: There is a loop at service bmilinux if started

insserv: Max recursions depth 99 reached

insserv: There is a loop between service rscd and boot.cleanup if started

insserv:  loop involving service boot.cleanup at depth 3

insserv:  loop involving service boot.localfs at depth 2

insserv: There is a loop between service rscd and boot.clock if started

insserv:  loop involving service boot.clock at depth 1

insserv:  loop involving service boot.localnet at depth 5

insserv:  loop involving service boot.quota at depth 3

insserv:  loop involving service boot.rootfsck at depth 1

insserv: exiting now without changing boot order!

------------------insserv message repeated hundreds of times------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting smartd                                                      done

Host Address: 192.168.82.197

host:192.168.82.197 port:9831

comm to provisioning server started

After this it just hangs. The "comm to provisioning server started" message sits there for an hour or so, then another exactly like it appears. I left the server for 4 hours and 4 messages appeared. After restarting the server manually it finished the BMI call-back, but that's not the desired effect. Has anyone seen this behavior before?

1 2 Previous Next