Jeff, I would suggest opening a support ticket (if you haven't already) and they can help you analyze your infrastructure and see where the issue might be. I will test this in my environment and see how long it takes as a baseline.
I created a new online Red Hat Linux Patch Catalog on my local BSA environment with those three architectures (RHES6x86_64, RHES5x86_64, RHES5x86). It took 1 hour and 17 minutes to complete. I will run an online update, then switch over to an offline catalog and check the time results of both.
1 of 1 people found this helpful
Initial Creation: 1 hour 17 minutes
Update: 50 minutes
Initial Creation: 58 minutes
Update: 55 minutes
This was done in a local VM environment with low server resources. My hunch would be something in your environement is causing the slowness. I would look at the resources of your application server(s), the resources of your database server, and the connection from your application server(s) to your database server.
Thank you for testing and the feedback.
I re-run in my environment and look for bottlenecks.
I was just getting back to troubleshooting this and realized that I did not give you a critical piece of the puzzle.
I have included sub channels in my offline catalog. In fact, that is the entire reason that I am moving towards and offline catalog for RHEL.
These are the channels that I have included:
Could you possibly run a catalog update in your environment with this configuration for comparison? I would be glad to send you the xml configuration file for the offline patch downloader.
On one attempt I found that it took than six hours total, 2.5 for the patch download, and 3.75 for the patch catalog update.
Yes, post your config.xml so I can verify it and use the same sub-channels to test. Scrub any proxy settings. You might be better served creating 3 different Patch Catalogs, one for each OS and architecture.
Joe - not sure of the best method to post the xml configuration file.
I posted as a doc and should be available here:
Please let me know if there is a better method.
Got it. You should be able to attach files to your posts here. In general, how much space is required to download all these patches?
Jeff, I'm getting an error using your config.xml file:
Error occurred while updating the feed. The Config file contains unsupported channel label "rhel-x86_64-server-lb-6" for Errata type filter: RHES6 - x86_64 --- Cause:The Config file contains unsupported channel label "rhel-x86_64-server-lb-6" for Errata type filter: RHES6 - x86_64
Downloader finished with return status - 1
what's the max heap of your appserver that's running the job set to ?
cpu count on your appserver, and helper?
physical memory on the helper and appserver?
The entire directory structure requires 17G after download and patch catalog update is complete. The repository and payload source on the patch catalog are pointing to the same location.
I double checked on my end. I did not see the error on here. I suspect you may not have access to the channel in question. If you cannot get access, maybe you could just remove it from the configuration for the test.
The app server has the max heap size set at 4G. It has 2 CPUs and 8G of RAM. Since this is a RHEL patch catalog there is no helper server defined.
Had a chance to run this last night. I had to remove the "rhel-x86_64-server-hts-6" and "rhel-x86_64-server-lb-6" sub channels to get it to run.
The offline downloader took 1 hour 50 minutes to complete. The catalog creation took 3 hours 29 minutes.
I will run the update tonight and post the results.
if you want to run this faster i'd consder creating multilple catalogs - one for each version/arch of rhel - that would speed the update time up.
also - the inital creation will obviously take much longer than the updates.