11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2014 8:49 AM by richard mcleod

Failed to deserialize reply

russ mcdowell

Running a Windows BSA 8.2 environment and this morning I start getting the following error message while trying to copy/paste a file deploy job.

deserialze.jpg

• 1. Re: Failed to deserialize reply

Hi Russ,

The primary cause for this error is: mismatch between AppServer and RCP version. Was something changed in your environment? Also was this use case of copy/ paste a file deploy job working earlier?

Regards,

Kedar.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
            russ mcdowell

Everything we have is the same build version, 8.2.01.292.  Yes, this file deploy worked previously.  Further work with our BSA shows a number of previously working operations now return this error message.  Going to cycle the entire BSA suite and see what a reboot does for us.

• 3. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
              russ mcdowell

Rebooted my database server, then my file server, then my appservers and the problem has cleared itself.  Thanks Kedar.

• 4. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                Sean Berry

Russ:

Any chance your environment is particularly tight on memory?  I’ve seen this before when the appserver has trouble.

Sean

• 5. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                  russ mcdowell

Sean, I think we're fine on memory.  Didn't have an odd occurance of DNS A record cache on a database and file server not being present which was causing some other problems.  Not sure if that is related or not.  DNS appears to be in working order now along with this issue after the reboot.

• 6. Re: Failed to deserialize reply

Hi Russ,

Good to know the problem is resolved.

Requesting to check if something is logged in RCP/ AppServer log.

Regards,

Kedar.

• 7. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                      richard mcleod

I am running a similar environment Appserver 8.2.03 on Windows, SQL DB. My rcp client is on w7, receiving same error.

Checked the appserver logs and seeing this... (have dba investigate sql server now)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:06,492] [Scheduled-System-Tasks-Thread-3] [INFO] [System:System:] [Memory Monitor] Total JVM (B): 1905459200,Free JVM (B): 883332344,Used JVM (B): 1022126856,VSize (B): 2549252096,RSS (B): 2433642496,Used File Descriptors: 13070

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:07,303] [Client-Connections-Thread-2] [INFO] [me@COMPANY.COM:BLAdmins:10.6.182.91] [Client] SQLException: Sql State (S0004) Vendor Code (1204)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:12,389] [Client-Connections-Thread-0] [INFO] [me@COMPANY.COM:BLAdmins:10.6.182.91] [Client] SQLException: Sql State (S0004) Vendor Code (1204)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:17,475] [Client-Connections-Thread-7] [INFO] [me@COMPANY.COM:BLAdmins:10.6.182.91] [Client] SQLException: Sql State (S0004) Vendor Code (1204)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:22,561] [Client-Connections-Thread-3] [INFO] [me@COMPANY.COM:BLAdmins:10.6.182.91] [Client] SQLException: Sql State (S0004) Vendor Code (1204)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:26,555] [SSL-Connections-Thread-5] [INFO] [Anonymous:Anonymous:10.8.76.91] [Client] SQLException: Sql State (S0004) Vendor Code (1204)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:26,555] [SSL-Connections-Thread-5] [ERROR] [Anonymous:Anonymous:10.8.76.91] [Client] An error occurred while attempting to access the database:

Message : The instance of the SQL Server Database Engine cannot obtain a LOCK resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer active users. Ask the database administrator to check the lock and memory configuration for this instance, or to check for long-running transactions. SQLState: S0004 ErrorCode: 1204

com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBException: An error occurred while attempting to access the database:

Message : The instance of the SQL Server Database Engine cannot obtain a LOCK resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer active users. Ask the database administrator to check the lock and memory configuration for this instance, or to check for long-running transactions. SQLState: S0004 ErrorCode: 1204

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.util.ServerUtil.throwDBException(ServerUtil.java:171)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.model.job.provision.ProvJobRunFactory.loadJobRuns(ProvJobRunFactory.java:192)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.model.job.provision.ProvJobRunFactory.findAllByPmDeviceIdAndProgressStatus(ProvJobRunFactory.java:152)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.model.job.provision.ProvisionJobServiceImpl.findAllByPmDeviceIdAndProgressStatus(ProvisionJobServiceImpl.java:112)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.app.pm.BladeMetal.pxeProvisionNextOp(BladeMetal.java:633)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.app.pm.BladeMetal.nextOp(BladeMetal.java:611)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.app.pm.BladeMetal.service(BladeMetal.java:148)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:385)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:282)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.handleClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:182)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:101)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:27)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.thread.BlBlockingThread.run(BlBlockingThread.java:95)

Caused by: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The instance of the SQL Server Database Engine cannot obtain a LOCK resource at this time. Rerun your statement when there are fewer active users. Ask the database administrator to check the lock and memory configuration for this instance, or to check for long-running transactions.

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException.makeFromDatabaseError(SQLServerException.java:197)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.getNextResult(SQLServerStatement.java:1493)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.doExecutePreparedStatement(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:390)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement$PrepStmtExecCmd.doExecute(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:340)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.TDSCommand.execute(IOBuffer.java:4575)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerConnection.executeCommand(SQLServerConnection.java:1400)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeCommand(SQLServerStatement.java:179)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerStatement.executeStatement(SQLServerStatement.java:154)

at com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerPreparedStatement.executeQuery(SQLServerPreparedStatement.java:283)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.shared.db.BlPreparedStatement.executeQuery(BlPreparedStatement.java:47)

at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:96)

at org.apache.commons.dbcp.DelegatingPreparedStatement.executeQuery(DelegatingPreparedStatement.java:96)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.db.DefaultDatabaseServiceImpl.execute(DefaultDatabaseServiceImpl.java:1002)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.db.DefaultDatabaseServiceImpl.execute(DefaultDatabaseServiceImpl.java:645)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.db.DefaultDatabaseServiceImpl.execute(DefaultDatabaseServiceImpl.java:629)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBServiceImpl.execute(DBServiceImpl.java:99)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBServiceImpl.execute(DBServiceImpl.java:82)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.db.DBServiceImpl.execute(DBServiceImpl.java:76)

at com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.model.job.provision.ProvJobRunFactory.loadJobRuns(ProvJobRunFactory.java:184)

... 11 more

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:26,555] [SSL-Connections-Thread-5] [ERROR] [Anonymous:Anonymous:10.8.76.91] [Client] Connection terminated

com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.util.BlException: There was an error processing this request.

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.processClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:285)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.handleClientRequest(ClientWorkerThread.java:182)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:101)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.net.ClientWorkerThread.execute(ClientWorkerThread.java:27)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.thread.BlBlockingThread.run(BlBlockingThread.java:95)

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:26,555] [SSL-Connections-Thread-5] [INFO] [Anonymous:Anonymous:10.8.76.91] [Client] Connection disconnecting: id = 3372

[06 Feb 2014 16:02:33,107] [Client-Connections-Thread-6] [INFO] [me@COMPANY.COM:BLAdmins:10.6.182.91] [Client] SQLException: Sql State (S0004) Vendor Code (1204)

• 8. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                        Bill Robinson

what's going on in the db when this happens?  long running transactions ?  etc...

• 9. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                          richard mcleod

Think it was due to a memory constraint on the db instance. Unfortunately we do not run our bl core db on a seperate server but rather a shared host. I canceled the snapshot job that was causing the issue (some odd misconfiguration on my part, where the job was snapshotting '/' of each server rather than what specified in component template). The DBA was able to increase the memory threshold for the instance but did not notice any other abnormalities. I restarted the appservices and don't see the issue currently, but will continue to monitor.

• 10. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                            Bill Robinson

If you are snapshotting some of the COs like ‘hardware info’ they will show up as ‘/’ in the logs. which means it’s getting the root of the object, not root of the file system.  which is of course not very clear…

• 11. Re: Failed to deserialize reply
                              richard mcleod

I was attempting to snapshot Unix Groups on AIX servers but the logs were showing /. We use a centralized directory service for AIX, so all AIX boxes have all AIX users/groups on them albeit they are disabled where not applicable but they still show in the call for the group list or the users list. It seemed like the return data was greater than the space allocated in the database for the values. I've trimmed the snapshot job to look for specific users, all is ok now.