3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2013 1:22 AM by Shweta Patil

SQL monitoring- changing password

Share:|

Hi,

I configured few patrol agents to monitor with MSSQL_SERVER.kml.

I used "SQL server instance setup" box for the configuration.

What will happen if I'll need to change the password of both user and SA user I have used for the configuration?

Would I have to change manually for all of the relevant agents?

Can I use the PCM to change the password for a group of agents? How?

Thank you all.

SQL ServerInstance Setup:

Security mode : Standard (both for user and sa)

Grant admin : No (both for user and sa)

Versions:

Patrol Central Operator 7.8.10

PATROL Configuration Manager V1.6.91

• 1. Re: SQL monitoring- changing password
          Bhuvaneswaran Ekanathan

It is possible to configure using PCM. Below are the configuration variables for MS SQL KM,

SQL Server Standard Security User Configuration:

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_ADMIN.instance.defaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.instance.defaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.SQLServerInstanceName\\IntegratedStandard

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.ADMIN.SQLServerInstanceName\\IntegratedStandard

SQL Server Integrated Security User Configuration:

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_ADMIN.instance.OSdefaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_ADMIN.instance.OSdefaultAccountAppliesToCmds/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.instance.OSdefaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.instance.OSdefaultAccountAppliesToCmds

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.SQLServerInstanceName\\IntegratedStandard

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.ADMIN.SQLServerInstanceName\\IntegratedStandard

For more details on the above variables and SQL configuration, refer chapter Using PATROL Configuration Manager with PATROL for Microsoft SQL Server in BMC PATROL Getting Started for Microsoft SQL Server guide.

Thanks,

Bhuvan

• 2. Re: SQL monitoring- changing password

I don't want the password to be display as it is at the PCM (only if it will be coded).

When Im writing the OSdefaultAccount, should I enter the user and coded password? would it work?

• 3. Re: SQL monitoring- changing password
              Shweta Patil

Hello

The following MSSQL agent configuration variables are properly updated when using the menu command "SQLServer instance setup".

For Privileged user ( admin user - standard security ) the following variable is used

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_ADMIN.<machinename\instance name>.defaultAccount

For General user ( standard security ) the following pconfig variable is used

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.<machinename\instance name>.defaultAccount

============

For Privileged user ( admin user - integrated security- OS Authentication ) the following variables are used

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_ADMIN.<machinename\instance name>.OSdefaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_ADMIN.<machinename\instance name>.OSdefaultAccountAppliesToCmds = 1

For General user ( integrated security- OS Authentication ) the ollowing variables are used

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.<machinename\instance name>.OSdefaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER.<machinename\instance name>.OSdefaultAccountAppliesToCmds = 1

The above pconfig variables are for user level channel and Admin level channel.

For Configuration menu command - ( standard security ) the following variable is used

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_LOGIN_MGMT.<machinename\instance name>.defaultAccount

For Configuration menu command - ( integrated security ) the following variables are used

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_LOGIN_MGMT.<machinename\instance name>.OSdefaultAccount

/AgentSetup/MSSQL_SERVER_LOGIN_MGMT.<machinename\instance name>.OSdefaultAccountAppliesToCmds = 1

It is recommended that you verify the agent configuration default account variables that are being used by the KM by performing the command " pconfig +get -p <portnumber> -host <hostname> ".

Next, you may use change the password of these agent configuration variables via Patrol Configuration Manager.

Regards,

Shweta