4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 10, 2013 7:07 PM by Bill Robinson

How to export smart group from Patch catalog ?

himanshu sangwan

Hi All,

I have a tested windows catalog now i would like to import to production so is there any way to do that? if not can i export the Catalog Smart Group?

Thanks

hsangwan

• 1. Re: How to export smart group from Patch catalog ?
          Siddu angadi

Hi,

It is not just export and import Catalog is not suffiecent.

Patch Catalog will be pointing to metdata which downloaded during catlogue update process.

Sync that Metadat files also.

Thanks

Siddu

• 2. Re: How to export smart group from Patch catalog ?
            himanshu sangwan

Hi Siddu,

I know the process for patch catalog very welll:) at existing BL...

My question was can i export the catalog or not if not then can i export the smart groups like Compliance? or is ther any way to achieve that?

• 3. Re: How to export smart group from Patch catalog ?

This is possible, and is something that I've done before.  However, it involved writing a whole series of Jython scripts and a bit of lateral thinking, as the Smart Groups aren't as easily accessible from within the Patch Catalogs as they are elsewhere in BladeLogic.

When I get some time (ha!  I wish!) I'll upload the scripts, but don't hold your breath on this.  In the meantime, look at using the unreleased BLCLI to access the patch catalogs, then the BLCLI to access ALL patch catalog smart groups, then match them together to see which smart group belongs to which catalog.

I then created a script which will back up the Smart Groups to XML format so that they could be easily imported if the catlogs need to be rebuilt (which used to happen very often!) or if I wanted to re-create the same structure in a new BladeLogic enviornment.

Hope that helps!

God bless,

-John.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to export smart group from Patch catalog ?
                Bill Robinson

i think the overall approach would be like this:

- copy the meta from the catalog (really only for solaris and windows)

- copy the patch payloads

- create / update an offline catalog in the other env

- run the CUJ w/ the meta and payloads from the first env

perform the analysis w/ that.  as john mentioned exporting the smart group conditions is more complicated.