10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2017 7:53 AM by Bill Robinson

How to create compliance rule for Page file?

I want to create the rule for page file check for windows box in BL ? Can we have any system object value for this or have to get this something via vb / powershell?

Scenario:--

The Page File on drive C: should be set to Initial size=2Mb  and Maximum size=2Mb

• 1. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
          Siddu angadi

Import the attached file  into Component template within BL Console and try to run compliance job against any windows box:

Thanks

Siddu

• 2. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
            Siddu angadi

Sorry Ignore the last attachment.

I have now attached right one, which is basically check for Page file size initial 2048 KB and Max 2048 MB.

Import the attached and test it.

• 3. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?

Thanks for your help.. but i think i have a different use case here

Question : Is it possible if can achieve this rule without vbscript??

Scenario:---

• The Page File on drive C: should be set to Initial size=2Mb and Maximum size=2Mb
              • It is recommended that where possible that an additional Paging file is created on drive D:
              • The Page File on drive D: should be set to Initial size=2 * installed RAM  and Maximum size=2 * installed RAM
              • If the physical memory is greater than 2Gb then the file should be split over 2 disks

for this i created the below script like that

Dim RetrievedValue, Element, FoundC

strComputer = "."

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _

& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colPageFiles = objWMIService.ExecQuery _

("Select * from Win32_PageFileSetting")

For Each Element in colPageFiles

If Left(ucase(Element.Name),3)="C:\" Then

RetrievedValue = "[Initial Size=" & Element.InitialSize & "Mb , Maximum Size=" & Element.MaximumSize & "Mb]"

FoundC = True

Exit For

Wscript.Echo " PageFileSize: " & RetrievedValue

End If

Next

Set colPageFiles = Nothing

If FoundC = False Then

RetrievedValue = "Not_Found"

Wscript.Echo " PageFileSize: " & RetrievedValue

End If

• 4. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
                Siddu angadi

Hi,

Yes, you have to write custom VBScript or powershell in comibination with NSH to achiev your requirement.

Thanks

Siddu

• 5. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?

I tried but not able to create VB Script for my compliance rule mentioned above. Any help for the vb scrpt here?

Scenario:---

• The Page File on drive C: should be set to Initial size=2Mb and Maximum size=2Mb
                  • It is recommended that where possible that an additional Paging file is created on drive D:
                  • The Page File on drive D: should be set to Initial size=2 * installed RAM  and Maximum size=2 * installed RAM
                  • If the physical memory is greater than 2Gb then the file should be split over 2 disks
                  • 6. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
                    Bill Robinson

i think you could also look in the registry for this and use the native blade object:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PagingFiles

also - where are you getting the recommendation to split the page file ? 

• 7. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
                      Jim Wilson

@Raj,

Did this get resolved?

If so, please can you update the discussion thread with details so that is can be marked as answered.

Thanks & Regards,

Jim (Forum Manager/Facilitator)

• 8. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?

Yes , it is resolved and marked as answered .. but got it only checking page file in c: drive only

• 9. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
                          Rajamuthu Sundaram

Hi

i am creating pagefile compliance with below scenario, could you please help me on this.

My requirement

1. Read phsyical memory

2.if physical memory <=4000 Then page file should be RAM*1,5

3.if physical memory >4000 and total RAM<16000 then page file should be 8 GB

else it should report non-compliance. please help me to configure it

• 10. Re: How to create compliance rule for Page file?
                            Bill Robinson

so what have you tried to do so far?

1. Read phsyical memory

so where can you get this info ?  from a native object in bsa (like hardware info) ?  by running a command ? (nmem)  something else ?

you are missing a step - how do you get the value of the page file size?  registry setting?  something else ?

2.if physical memory <=4000 Then page file should be RAM*1,5

ok, so you need to do some math here in your rule right ?

3.if physical memory >4000 and total RAM<16000 then page file should be 8 GB

so this one seems straightforward if you know how much memory the box has and where to get the page file size right ?