3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2013 10:29 PM by Carey Walker

Modelling of Computer System in Context of Data Center

Rahul Priyadarshy

Hi All,

I need some expert advice on how i should proceed. I need to model as per below scenario.

(1) a server to a Data Canter

(2) Rack will be in Data Center

(3)  Data Center to Physical Location (more than one DC in one Physical Location)

i tried following the BMC spreadsheet but no luck for rack and DC

Regards

Rahul Priyadarshy

• 1. Re: Modelling of Computer System in Context of Data Center
          Carey Walker

Hi Rahul

We have server (class=ComputerSystem) -> rack (class=Rack), rack -> datacenter (class= Physical Location), datacenter -> address (class=Physical Location)

So we use Physical Location for both the datacenter CI and the actual physical address CI. This class has several location specific attributes that should help you differentiate the multiple data centers in one location.

All these classes have the standard location attributes as well such as site, floor, room etc.

So - the above relationship hierarchy will help you see where a server is (either which rack or which datacenter), and also help you assess impact if, say, power to a rack or even a whole datacenter is in trouble.

While the above is working fine for us, please also be aware that BMC have mentioned in the past that the Rack class may be dropped in future versions on CMDB in favor of a better mechanism for exactly this type of requirement. Do a search in this forum for posts that discuss Racks and Blade Enclosures and you'll see where the thinking in these areas was going.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Modelling of Computer System in Context of Data Center
            Rahul Priyadarshy

Hi Carey,

Thanks for quick response. Few more query on above one.

SourceDestinationRelationship
            BMC_PhysicalLocationBMC_COMPUTERSYSTEM BMC_Dependency (as per BMC Sheet)
            BMC_Rack/BMC_ChasisBMC_COMPUTERSYSTEMBMC_HostedSystemComponent (fetched from Community)

-->What kind of relationship will exists between a Rack and  DC or Vice-Versa.

-->What kind of relationship will exist between Site (physcial Location) and DC (when we have mutiple DC in one site). So that if i open the site/physical location CI i can see the attached DC with that  Site.

Regards

Rahul Priyadarshy

• 3. Re: Modelling of Computer System in Context of Data Center
              Carey Walker

I'd use BMC_ElementLocation for both.You can then see all racks in a DC and all DCs in a site/location.

So it will be

Location -> DataCenter -> Rack -> Server

Having a direct link from DC to Rack seems a little weird without something in between, but is still physically/technically correct.

1 of 1 people found this helpful