11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2014 6:34 AM by Carl Wilson

Complex SRM approval process

Christoph Klapetke
      Share This:

Hi Community,

I have a problem with my configured approval process in SRM and hope that you can help me to solve it.

Following situation:

I have a lot of Service Requests, which required one or two approvals.

The first approval is depends the Business Service which is related to the Service Request Definition.

-          For example 10 Service Request Definitions with 10 different Business Services.

-          For each Business Service is one Support Group as an Approver Group defined.

The second approval is depends on the answer of a question within the service request, which comes from the requester.

-          The question asks the requester whether the request is a workers council request or not. The requester has two choices Yes or No

-          In case of “Yes” the approval is required for a another defined support group, which will be used as an approver group.

-          In case of “No”  only the approval based on the Business Service is required.

For this scenario I have tried out two different approaches.

The requesters choice will be mapped in the field SR Type Field 10.

Approach 1)

I have created another SR Level Approval Process, similar with the original only with another name. So I can also use two SR Level processes within one Approval Chain.

Then I have created two Approval Chains.

-          The first one should be used if the requester answers the question with No, so I have a selection criteria ('SR Type Field 10' = "No")

-          I have used the original Service Request – Level process

-          The second one should be used if the requester answers the question with Yes, so I have a selection criteria ('SR Type Field 10' = "Yes")

-          Then I have two approval mappings. One Approval Mapping for a support group based on the Business Service and another one for my custom approval process.

Test result:

1)      When I answer the question with No, two approvals will be assigned both the approval for the business approval and the approval for the answer, however I have answer the question with “No”

2)      When I answer the question with Yes, the two approvals will be assigned. And when this for two time. That means it requires 4 approvals until the service request get the status “Planning”.

Approach 2)

The second approach is based on the following BMC Community discussion: https://communities.bmc.com/communities/thread/40877?start=0&tstart=0

I have created another SR Level Approval Process, similar with the original but with following custom rules:

Rule 1 Workers Council – Get Authority

For Process: Service Request Level - Workers Council

Rule Type: Get Authority

Order: 0

Set fields

Set fields Type: Query

From Form: SRM Request

Qualification: ' InstanceId ' =  $ SR_InstanceId $

Field Name: Char Field 1

Value: $ SR Type Field 10 $

Rule 2 Workers Council – Self Approval

Rule Type: Self Approval

Order: 1

Rule: $ Char Field 1 $ = "No"

Rule 3 Workers Council – Prep. Get Next Approver

Rule Type: Prep Get Next Approver

Order:0

Set fields

Set fields Type:Query

From Form: SRM Request

Qualification: ' InstanceId ' =  $ SR_InstanceId $

'InstanceId' =  $ SR_InstanceId $

Field Name: Char Field 1

Value: $ SR Type Field 10 $

Rule 4 Workers Council – Get Next Approver – Grp

Rule Type: Get Next Approver

Order: 1

If Multiple Result: Values from All

If Multiple Approvers: One Must Sign

Next Approver Rule is: Additive

Run If: $ Char Field 1 $ =”Yes”

Set Fields

Set fields Type:Query

From Form: SRS:RequestApproversLookup

Qualification: ' Approval Sequence ' != $ \NULL$ AND ' ApprovalDefinitionID ' = $ ApprovalDefinitionID $  AND  ' InstanceId ' =  $ SR_InstanceId $ AND ' Status ' = "Enabled"

Field Name: Next Approvers

Values: $ Support Group ID $ + " | Request Approver"

Field Name: Level

Value: $ Approval Sequence $

For this approach I use only one Approval Chain with the selection criteria ' SRD_Name ' = "Core - Cross Module"

The first process within the chain is the OOTB Service Request Level process. The second process within this chain is my custom SR Level Workers Council process.

Test result:

1)      When I answer the question with No, two approvals will be assigned both the approval for the business approval and the approval for the answer, however I have answer the question with “No” and after the approval the service request get the status “Closed”.

2)      When I answer the question with Yes, the two approvals will be assigned. And when this for two time. That means it requires also 4 approvals until the service request get the status “Planning”.

My Environment details:

ARS 8.0

CMDB 8.0

ITSM 8.0

SRM 8.0

Windows Server 2008 R2

MS SQL 2008 R2

I think it is a problem with my configuration, but unfortunately I cannot identify the root cause. Do you have any idea??

Thanks Christoph