2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 24, 2013 10:01 AM by S Crawford

Adding Servers from a List to a Server Group in BL 8.2

S Crawford

I'm trying to populate a BladeLogic Server Group with a specific list of 60 servers.  This server group will be added to an NSH script job target list.  In versions prior to 8.2, I was able to right-click a server group and choose 'Import Servers to Group', choose the .csv file with the server names, and the servers would be added to the group, even if they already existed in BL. 

Now with 8.2, I'm getting the 'already exists' errors but it's not adding them to the group.  How can I add a specific list of servers to a server group now?  It will take too long to manually choose all the servers from the server menu.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adding Servers from a List to a Server Group in BL 8.2

provided that you already have all 60 servers added to your environment, you can create a Smart Group that would list these servers only, and then use that Smart Group to pass to your NSH script. Here's one way how:

- In Property Dictionary, create new Server Property of type string - let's call it C_PROP.

- In Servers, create a Smart Group with condition where server property C_PROP equals "UseMe"

- Run the following blcli script that would set the C_PROP to UseMe for your 60 servers in the text file:

for Server in `cat serverlist.txt`

do

blcli_execute Server setPropertyValueByName $Server C_PROP UseMe

done

Your Smart Group is ready.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Adding Servers from a List to a Server Group in BL 8.2
            S Crawford

Thanks for the creative idea Lazar.  That method would work too, assuming you had permission to create a new property.  I actually re-tried importing servers into the group, and it worked this time.  The issue was that I was not using a role that had access to the servers.  So the import method still works in 8.2.