6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 9:24 AM by Ed Krum

Field Suite Definition

Share This:

hi there, when create product categoty, there is field "Suite Defition*" what is this ?

• 1. Re: Field Suite Definition
          Ashwanth Padmanabhan

for example if you have

word

excel

powerpoint

the way you will create product categorization could be

Tier 1:Software

Tier 2:Application

Tier 3:Word

Tier 3:Excel

Tier 3:Powerpoint

this works if the user requests each one these product individually through a service request or through a change request

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now if you want to generalize...say for if users would request a suit of products...like MS Office then this Ms Office is a suite which would consist of word, excel, powerpoint whichever your organization can offer to that user..

so here the Product Catagory you enter in the system or configure in the system is

Tier 3:MS-Office

Suite:Yes (as this is not literally representing a product it is actually a suite that has set of products in it)

thats where we say Yes to the Suite when defining Product Categorization

• 2. Re: Field Suite Definition

thanks for explaination.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Field Suite Definition

I have some doubt about the meaning.

if a suite is composed of the following elements:

- Word

- Excell

- Powerpoint

when you have to implemenate the "suite" in the CMDB and relate it with a CI type PC, it is appropriate to create a relationship with a single CI product (suite)?

PC ------> Product (Suite)

Would not it be better to create 3 CI product type and create 3 relationship with the CI-PC?

PC ---->Product Word

PC ---->Product Excel

PC ---->Product Powerpoint

?? There is no automatic mechanism that translates the Suite in relations with individual CI ??@

• 4. Re: Field Suite Definition
                Ed Krum

I know this looks like an old question, however, I was looking for similar information and ran into useful suite definition documentation in the "BMC Atrium CMDB 7.6.04 Normalization and Reconciliation Guide" ppg 59-64 "Configuring Suite Rollup Rules."  I have yet to run this thru dev/test/prod but it looks like a good part of the answer for managing suite products. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Field Suite Definition
                  TJ Smith

I understand I can Configure Suite Rollup Rules, but just courious what an Asset License job would look like and how it's handled at the Suite level without creating rollup rules. Example: "Adobe Creative Cloud Suite" (represents the Suite, which is flagged "Suite Definition" "YES" with a set of products related).  When the license job is created, do I build the Advanced CI Criteria with "Adobe Creative Cloud Suite" as the product or do I build it with each related product in the suite? Or both?

Thanks,

T J

• 6. Re: Field Suite Definition
                    Ed Krum

In our case, we don't track the individual products. We make an assumption that if the computer is associated with the Adobe CC Enterprise certificate, then it inherently will have After Effects installed on it. Conversely, during QA/QC runs, when After Effects is detected on a computer from an external discovery (such as Microsoft SCCM) it should match in Remedy to a computer with the Adobe CC Enterprise product association. We don't track the individual products, just the name of the suite, acting as a single product. Physically, it's an all-or-nothing installation, under the construction of our license agreement with Adobe, so that if the user needs Dreamweaver for example, they also get all the products from the Design and Web Premium package (such as Fireworks, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, etc.) and if they are a video producer (typically) they would move up to the Adobe CC Enterprise product package, which adds on After Effects, Edge, Flash Builder, and others. All products inherit Adobe Acrobat Pro. We DO manage Acrobat Pro as a standalone product, but through workflow, if the computer has both Acrobat Pro AND one of the other products, then the certificate association with Stand-alone Acrobat is removed, because it is already inherited from either the Design and Web package or the CC Enterprise package.

In short, we are tracking only three products... 1.) Acrobat Pro, 2.) Design and Web, or 3.) CC Enterprise. #3 inherits #1 and #2, or #2 inherits #1, or #1 stands alone. This has to be managed through workflow upon discovery. Manual entry or adjustment is sometimes needed to adjust discoveries from QA/QC but basically manual entry is impossible to manage as a rule. Typically, QA/QC errors appear when the computer already had Acrobat Pro previously, but is upgraded to one of the higher packages, and Acrobat Pro gets double-counted so that we are over-compliant (showing more usage than is actually being consumed). All of the Adobe products in our environment are managed per-copy (one installation on a CPU can serve many users, but usage is counted against each user. A user can access multiple computers, and get counted only once, as long as the user has a used-by relationship to the computer). 

I'm not sure that completely answers your question, or gives you enough detail to re-construct this model, but hopefully gives you some ideas.