5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 9:10 PM by Bill Robinson

Inventory Snapshot question

Roy Ong

Hi all,

As the inventory snapshot captures information of a servers’ configuration. Once a new snapshot is captured for a new server, is there any way to tell that this is the first time the snapshot is created for a server via BBSA? And from there, is there anyway to automate extraction of that new server’s configuration (eg: memory) to a flat file?

Thanks all in advance for the help!

• 1. Re: Inventory Snapshot question

You can use Job run notification or Snapshot change notification available on job wizard. But that will be applicable for each job run for that snapshot job. I don't think, there is anything specific available for first snapshot job run out of the box.

• 2. Re: Inventory Snapshot question
            Joe Piotrowski

What is the purpose of knowing whether or not this is the first time an Inventory Snapshot Job was taken on a server? Maybe we can think of an alternate solution to what you're trying to accomplish.

The Change Tracking text on a new Snapshot Job says "New baseline has no Change Tracking information" while subsequent jobs will have a different text like "No changes detected."

You can Export results of Snapshot Jobs to HTML or CSV format. But from my quick testing it doesn't look like you can Export the results from Hardware Information. So I'm not sure how you can pull those property values out.

• 3. Re: Inventory Snapshot question

1) You can take snapshot of hardware information and export results of snapshot job. This allows you export results in html or CSV format. snapshot.JPG

2) Other way is to you Component Template. Include Hardware infomation for a part in Component Template. Use discovery job and snapshot job (using target as any server group or smart server group) and export results for snapshot job run or if you have BDSSA , you can get BDSSA inventory reports for hardware information reporting

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Inventory Snapshot question
                Roy Ong

Thanks all for the replies,

What is the purpose of knowing whether or not this is the first time an Inventory Snapshot Job was taken on a server? Maybe we can think of an alternate solution to what you're trying to accomplish.

>> Once a new server is added, the first snapshot is run, i need to export that captured data for that new server and output out to a flat file automatically. Basically as long got new server added to BL, i need to know the details of that new server in an automated fashion.

Not sure if this can be directly extracted from the db or the CMDB.

But any alternate solutions are welcomed

Noted on exporting results on the snapshot, but i need something automated.

• 5. Re: Inventory Snapshot question
                  Bill Robinson

if you are trying to feed the cmdb you should looking into bl2atrium.

if you want to get the plain text out there are some blcli commands that will export the snapshot to a file.

to determine if it's the 1st run of a snapshot on the server there's probably some blcli i could figure out for that.

are you saying that you are running snapshots on all your boxes but you only care about importing the 1st snapshot run into the cmdb ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful