11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2013 8:22 PM by Bill Robinson

BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors

Benjamin Hawkins

Hi,

We're having issues installing 8.2.3 64bit on Linux, when running the BBSA82 script we are getting the following errors:

: command not found: line 7:

': not a valid identifier 9: export: `PATH

: command not found: line 10:

': not a valid identifier 12: export: `INSTALLER_NAME

: command not found: line 13:

: command not found: line 41:

': not a valid identifier 63: export: `BUILD_NUMBER

'BSA82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: syntax error near unexpected token `in

'BSA82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: `case "$OS" in

We're trying to get this to run on CentOS 6.3 to test this on. I know it isn't supported as an install platform but was wondering if there may be a way around the issues.

Any ideas if this could be done?

Thanks

• 1. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors

Its is not a suported Platform,You can't be install the Appserver on the CentOS Platform, because it can't resolve the switch condition.Its better use the RHEL platform for Appserver installation and target to CentOS.

• 2. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
            Benjamin Hawkins

Thanks dverma,

I took the advice and tried to install on a RHEL 6.3 platform and still get the same error message. I'm also getting the same error when trying to install the 8.2.3 agent on a RHEL 6.3 Server.

: command not found: line 7:

': not a valid identifier 9: export: `PATH

: command not found: line 10:

': not a valid identifier 12: export: `INSTALLER_NAME

: command not found: line 13:

: command not found: line 41:

': not a valid identifier 63: export: `BUILD_NUMBER

'SCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: syntax error near unexpected token `in

'SCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: `case "$OS" in

• 3. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
              R V

@dverma

Which "switch condition" are you referring to?

@Benjamin Hawkins

Did you check the md5sums? Was your download correct? Are you using the right architecture installer, i.e. x86/x86_64?

• 4. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors

Switch Condition means when you look over the sh code for the appserver its handle various OS under switch condition, if the OS is not supported then you can't be able to install appserver.

Yes, you are correct check the Machine architecture,You are using the correct installer,Check full download completed for the installer or not?Check the RSCD Installation on the RHEL5.X and RHEL6.0. If you face the same issue then you need to run the Installation on the debug mode and find out the cause for that.

• 5. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
                  R V

I don't think that CentOS is the problem, although it's not supported.

First - it behaves like a RedHat system in many ways.

Second - I have a test-environment on CentOS (admittedly v5.8) which installed flawlessly.

And third - the errors mentioned about "command not found" are all from the downloaded archive itself, i.e. (e.g.) BBSA82-SP3-LIN64.sh. The OS check is done later in the Install-script - if at all. I am just installing it on my Notebook running Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop version - it gave errors but very different from the mentioned ones.

What confuses me a bit are the following error messages:

'BSA82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: syntax error near unexpected token `in

'BSA82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: `case "$OS" in

and

'SCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: syntax error near unexpected token `in

'SCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh: line 70: `case "$OS" in

The first letter of the archive name is missing. This seems to lead to the root-cause for the installation problems.

• 6. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors

Most probably it should be the error ,name of the installer should be RSCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh,for a quick check open the sh file and  add #!/bin/sh -x and then try to install

• 7. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
                      R V

Just opening the installer probably won't work as it contains a binary portion. There's a bit more work to do. These are the - obviously unsupported but maybe clarifying - steps:

1. Find start of binary content (this is what we don't need now, assuming that the error lies in the first part of the installer):

# head -500 RSCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh | grep START

will return:

COMPRESSED_FILE_START=1187

tail $TAILFLAGS +$COMPRESSED_FILE_START $0 > $PACKAGE

2. Separate script part from installer:

# head -1186 RSCD82-SP3-LIN64.sh >rscd_installer.sh [the "1186" is from above, minus 1, change if you got a different result]

3. Make changes as proposed by dverma:

# vi rscd_installer.sh [just add "-x" to the first line]

4. Start script and see what happens:

# sh ./rscd_installer.sh

5. Post the messages

• 8. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
                        Bill Robinson

dervma - it's still not clear what you mean by 'swtich condition'.    where specifically do you think it's looking for RHEL vs CentOS ?  you should be able to install the appserver on centos - i've had more than a few customers install the appserver on CentOS w/o any issue.

you could try running the installer in debug mode - do this:

BSA_DEBUG=true

export BSA_DEBUG

sh BBSA<version>-<sp>-<arch>.sh

that should spit out the shell debug to possibly see why those environment variables aren't being setup properly.

how are you running the installer - from an ssh or direct console connection to the server, as root ?

• 9. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
                          R V

I did a bit of searching in the depth of the www and all findings lead to some problem with the line termination character difference between Windows (\r\n) and Linux (\n). Perhaps you should double check the checksum (md5sum), download the installer again, best directly to a Linux-system.

PS: if you do a search yourself and find some hints about using "dos2unix" (or similar), DON'T do that... you have a binary part here inside the installer-"script" which presumably will get corrupted if you run that command.

• 10. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
                            Benjamin Hawkins

Sorry for the late reply.

So I double checked the checksum and everything showed as fine. I also downloaded the installer again just make sure and still have the same issue.

Finally I provisioned a new cent os 6.3 server manually and ran the installer and it ran through fine so I have to presume there is some sort of configuration or application causing issues with the installation on the existing cent os 6 servers.

I wasn't involved in the provisioning of these servers so am unaware of how they have been configured. They are mainly used for apache, mysql, CoovaChilli and mornitoring systems.

Guess the next step is to start installing and configuring the applications one by one to see where the issue lies unless anyone can think of any quick issues it could be.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: BBSA 8.2.3 Linux 64 Install Errors
                              Bill Robinson

i'd start w/ a clean centos install.  the rscd installs fine on 6.x - i believe the agent is supported on centos now, and the installer script is the same across rscd, bbsa, etc.what did the debug output of the installer show ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful