2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2012 1:42 AM by Johan Gouverneur

Trying to change Address Book field type without deleting/recreating field

Ken Sng

Hi guys, this is on FP 11.0.3 and MS SQL 2008, Win 2008x64

I am trying to change an Address book field from dropdown to char single line

FP doesnt allow it from the UI so i went to the schema file to do it

but it still shows up as drop down and strangely enough the choices still show up even though i've deleted the entries in the schema file

where else are these data stored ?

i'm trying not to delete and then recreate the fields so i won't have to lose data  in their existing tickets

Anybody any ideas ?

Thanks !

ken

• 1. Re: Trying to change Address Book field type without deleting/recreating field
          Greg Tucker

2 quick thoughts:

1) I am not sure that deleting the field deletes the database field. I tried it once and was able to create the same field on top of the old one preserving the data. I cannot tell you now which version or field types. Try it out in a test workspace or test server.

2) You could also rename the field and create a new field, and write an update query to populate the new field from the old one. This would be much cleaner than editing schema files.

Let me know if you need any help on either.

Greg

• 2. Re: Trying to change Address Book field type without deleting/recreating field
            Johan Gouverneur

Considering you're on a version which has the Form Designer, there are several more locations then just the schema file where this information is listed. The primary one I can think of is the FBDesignData.json file which holds the data for what the form looks like. When you rename this file it will be recreated from the other sources, that tell it how the form should look, when you open up the Form Designer.