2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2012 3:46 AM by Steffen Kreis

Updating Shavlik Metadata without Updating the catalog ?

Steffen Kreis

Hi,

We use BSA 8.2 SP2 to patch our Windows Server environment which are round about 5.000 to 6.000 Servers.

We constantly run into the issue that Shavlik releases updated Metadata with detection fixes for existing Bulletins and we really need to get these fixes on board as most of the times we have already encountered the fixed problems.

The problem is that due to the large amount of servers, where all off them have lot's off different Maintenance Windows due to customer requirements it is always hard to find a slot to about all our Windows catalogs ( We user 4, 2k3 and 2k8 as well as agent-copy and agent mounts source, all are offline catalogs).

As we normally only want to get the new detection logic into the system, we were wondering if there is any method to include the new XMLs without updating the catalogs.

We have noticed that when we update the Depot items (hf7b.xml and pd5.xml) that are linked to the Patch-Catalogs, they still use the "previous" versions of the XML.

The only way i see now is also update them on the FileServer under FS_SERVER\patch\catalog_ID , but that seems to be a bit too "hardcore".

Has anybody made some similiar experiences and has found a way of getting that done ?

Cheers

Steffen

• 1. Re: Updating Shavlik Metadata without Updating the catalog ?

Steffen, you've pointed correct folder where the Catalog metadata is located; every Catalog has <filserver>/patch/catalog/catalog_xxxxx folder with hf7b and pd5 xml files.

>>We have noticed that when we update the Depot items (hf7b.xml and pd5.xml) that are linked to the Patch-Catalogs, they still use the "previous" versions of the XML.

I did not understand this completely, but will still try to answer..

The Catalog will use the metadata that is available to it. If you made the 'previous' version available, then that's what the Catalog will use. I'll explain 'previous' later..

It sounded like you may be using offline catalog and if so, then whatever versions of hf7b and pd5 you downloaded and added to Depot, that's what will be used.

But if you use online catalog, then the Catalog will download the files using the URLs in patch global configuration / shavlik url configuration.

About downloading 'previous' version. Some infrastructures are behind web accelerators, which cache information from the Internet. If you are behind one of these devices, then it's very likely that you are downloading cached older copy of shavlik files, rather than newest version. You can use this test to validate at the time when the new shavlik xml was released:

wget link/to/shavlik.xml

wget --no-cache link/to/shavlik.xml

It's possible that you will download two different files, and the one with no-cache flag would be the newer one. More information about this here: https://kb.bmc.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=KA323772

Now on to your main question, if it's possible to update the metadata without updating the Catalog. Technically yes it's possible, all you have to do it replace the files in the fileserver/patch/catalog/catalog_xxx folder. But this will not always work flawlessly, because if there are new patches added to metadata, then what you have right now is missing objects from the Catalog, and they will not be reported missing in Patch Analysis Jobs. I would still recommend to allocate the time to update the Catalog to bring all information in sync. I have personally done this before, don't recall seeing issues, but again, I was doing this in my lab where I constantly break things, rather than production environment.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Updating Shavlik Metadata without Updating the catalog ?
            Steffen Kreis

Hi Lazar,

thx for your feedback.

We are currently testing this in DEV and to see how that goes.

Cheers

Steffen