3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2012 8:18 AM by Scott Dunbar

Howto create a blank VM using a BLPackage and register in in provisioning system ?

Steffen Kreis

within our BSA 8.2 SP2 environment we are looking for methods of a deeper integration between BL and VMWare.

As we have a good OS Build in place using traditional PXE based provisioning, i now try to achieve the following:

1.) Create a new blank VM using a parameterized BLpackage (This is working already)

2.) Identify assigned MAC of the new VM and register it as a Device in BSA

3.) Provision this device with our exisitng System package

So my main question at the moment is, is there a buildin way to identify the MAC address of a newly created VM based on a BLPackage

The "Provision a bare metal VM" section of the blcli docs, states it could be done with

ProvisionDevice : getMacAddrFromServerName

But that gives me a :

blcli ProvisionDevice getMacAddrFromServerName TEST-VM

Command execution failed. com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.util.BlException: Unexpected exception while handling request.com.bladelogic.om.provisioning.model.provision.ProvisionDeviceService_getMacAddressFromServerName(java.lang.String): com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.util.NotFoundException: Device TEST-VM not found.

As i believe the newly created VM is not registered in BL.

Any help is much appreciated.