1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2016 9:38 AM by Yanick Girouard

Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA

Steffen Kreis

Hi,

just wanted to get some feedback if some of you are using the workflow jobs on the BSA side to trigger jobs in AO ?

We really see some huge potential in this, but we still haven't figured out, how we could do something like "Execute Against" with these jobs.

Ideally somewhen in our PPBJ sequence we could trigger some AO jobs for the specific target, but it looks to me as if this is not possible as of now.

Cheers

Steffen

• 1. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA

Hi Steffen, I used it at one customer pf PPBJ.  The AO workflow was mostly working with DNS and an IPAM tool to manage the computer environment etc etc.  So basically we have the scripts or PPBJ to provision the server with AOWFJ's at the correct sequence to manage the aforementioned tools + others. 

• 2. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
            Steffen Kreis

Hi,

sounds interesting, but how do you handover the specific target server to the WF job automatically ?

With just beeing able to run "Execute" on the WF job, i have no clue how to specify something like a target ?

Cheers

Steffen

• 3. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA

The WF is not against a target, its a trigger to tell AO to do something.  You configure the integration between AO and BSA and then create the AO job modules.  You pass information to that process via the AO job and AO does something with it. 

EDIT to say that a workflow job can be as simple as telling AO it has completed a specific task.

• 4. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                Steffen Kreis

Yeah i see, but imagine i would like to register a newly provisioned server in our Privilidged Account Management system.

The workflow is already in place for that, but the single input parameter for that workflow job is the servername that should be registered.

Therefore my question is how do i handover such a parameter automatically to the WF job ?

Cheers

Steffen

• 5. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA

So each AO module has input params as defined by your module.  I then added the values to those modules via blcli  WorkflowJob assignInputParameters

Or the params were pre-defined.

I guess... and this is not tested... if you are using a workflow in PPBJ and you want to pass the hostname as a param you could just have the param with ??TARGET.NAME??

• 6. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                    Steffen Kreis

Hi,

i just wanted to bring that topic up again.
                    Maybe by now people make more use of that functionality and have a solution to my original question.

The problem from my point of view is very simple.

We have a Workflow in AO that registers any newly build server in an Privilidged Account Management system.

The only input parameter that job needs is a server name.

Ideally we want that workflow job to be part of our Post-Provisioning-Batch-Job.

I still find it more than obscure, that you can build lots of various input-types to a workflow job, but that you are unable to execute it "against" a target.

Steffen

• 7. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                      Paul Seager-Smith

Hi Steffen,

Depending on where you are calling this, you should just be able to define one of the AO workflow parameters as

something along the lines of ??TARGET.Name?? . This should ensure that the workflow gets the name of the target server or have I misunderstood what you are trying to do?

• 8. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                        Yanick Girouard

He wants to know how to launch a BSA job against a specific target from BAO, when the job in BSA is generic and no targets have been defined in it.

I would be interested in knowing this as well for we are currently learning BAO to do just that. For example, let's say you have a generic BSA job that is meant to run a certain remediation command against any Unix server. You then create a workflow in BAO to call this job against the right server following a new Monitoring alert incidents opened in Remedy. How would you pass the target name to the BAO job using the BSA adapter?

• 9. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                          Jim Wilson

I just wanted to jump in to say that you can't include a Workflow Job in a Batch Job so the whole discussion here may be moot:

https://docs.bmc.com/docs/display/public/bsa83/Creating+and+modifying+Batch+Jobs

• 10. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                            Steffen Kreis

Hmmmm,

That's a shame, as I believe that would be über helpful.

As BSA is all about automation I still don't understand why this functionality isn't in place and you can only sort of manually launch a workflow job.

Time for an idea I would say.....

• 11. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                              Steffen Kreis

Hi,

It's not about launching any type of job in BAD from AO, as this it's relatively easy with the according modules/blcli calls.

Let me know if you need any help with that...we do that all the time and I'm more than happy to assist.

My question really was about the BSA job type "workflow job"with the ability to run that against any specific target and that target then becomes the input parameter to a workflow.

This is sort of the other way around....

Steffen

• 12. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                                Jim Wilson

Hi Steffen,

I asked the product development engineers for the reason a Workflow Job cannot be included in a Batch Job:

The reason for not including a Workflow Job in a batch job was based on following considerations:

(1)          There are ton of outcome or status a AO workflow can have Vs BSA job can only have few choices
                                (2)          AO Parent process triggered by workflow job can spin off child processes which can run asynchronously while parent job has completed. So what would you tell the BSA about status of workflow?
                                (3)          WFJ is an integration job with external systems including build systems etc so we wanted to have a job dedicated to external system integration and do certain tasks as it relates to it. A classic example would be run a WFJ job which triggers a workflow which monitors build system. Once a build is available, workflow moves the build to a particular location on the server. WFJ then can call Deploy on demand basis giving dynamic input such as target server etc.

WFJ is a bigger concept which is capable of calling multiple BSA jobs to do variety of things on targets managed by BSA based on external system's  processing or outcome. So it would be pretty naïve to string the WFJ inside a batch job and lose the flexibility we have in the first place.

I hope this helps.

Thanks & Regards,

Jim

• 13. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                                  Vinnie Lima

The use case to be able to define input parameters at the BSA WF Job, which are passed to the AO Process, is very significant capability.  This would be huge in the way that it would allow very large integration capability between BSA and external systems (through AO).

Has anyone figured this out?  Although you can assign ??TARGET.NAME?? to the input of an AO Process, you cannot execute that WF Job against a specific target.  Therefore, the attribute does not get used (or populated).

Thanks.

• 14. Re: Anybody making use of AO workflow jobs from BSA
                                    Steffen Kreis

Maybe it's time to raise this as an idea.

I still think that automatic handover of input parameters like a target server would make the workflow job so much more useful.

The little number if questions about this type of job here in the community makes me believe most customers don't use that functionality.

Steffen

1 2 Previous Next