4 Replies Latest reply on May 2, 2013 1:16 AM by Siddu angadi

Bladelogic property dictionary, unable to change type on property

Luciano Spagnuolo

I need to change the ADMIN_ACCOUNT property under the server class in property dictionary from string to string enumerator and it is greyed out.  Apparently somemone placed a value in it for a server and even though I reset the property on all servers it still will not let me change the type.  How can I reset it so that I can change the property type?

So far I have tried to update the property to be empty, I have update the property and set reset, and I have deprecated the property in hopes to add it back (undeprecate) and be able to change the type but none of these have worked.  I'm thinking it may be a query on the DB to reset this but I cant find anything in the knowledge base or forums.

Thanks

Lou

• 1. Re: Bladelogic property dictionary, unable to change type on property

Lou, in order to modify or delete the property it needs to be "set to default" for absolutely all servers where it has been triggered at any give point in time.    Manually setting the value to blank (if that was the default) will not work - that will not be considered as the default value, so it must be the option "set to default" that's used. With this in mind, if there ever was a target where you had this option modified, and not this target is decommissioned, then in this situation it is considered that you have not set "set to default" on all targets that were touched at any point in time. yes, it's a defect, but the reason the option is still grayed out for you even after having to "set to default" for all, is very likely because the option was also used on some targets which are presently decommissioned. I do not believe there is a supported method of deleting or modifying the type of this option at this time. You may feel free to file a ticket and see this this somehow can be restored with engineering help, but another solution (I'm sure you already considered it) would be to create brand new property of the right type.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Bladelogic property dictionary, unable to change type on property
            Luciano Spagnuolo

Thanks for the reply, I was thinking exactly the same thing but the client is using that property name in Prod and would like to use it in Dev to be consistent (the problem is in Dev).  I will open a ticket and see if there is something that can be done via the database.

• 3. Re: Bladelogic property dictionary, unable to change type on property
              Mike Reider

I have the same issue, where I removed any reference to the property from all my BLpackages, references, etc, I tried to delete the property but its saying its being used and asking me if I want to decomission it.

The entire Prop Dict. process is pretty mysterious, sometimes when I create a new property, I can still delete it and modify it, but after a day or so, it becomes grayed out, even if I didnt use it in any reference. Can we run a DB cleanup job to remove the pointers? There's got to be a better way of managing these things.

• 4. Re: Bladelogic property dictionary, unable to change type on property
                Siddu angadi

Hi Mike and Lucino,

1. Issue - Delete the Property

Once property created under property dictionary and it is not possible to "delete" property even if you cleared the references. The only way is depreciate it and ask for support team for clean-up. I have own script to clean-up such issue.

2.  Issue - Not able change type of property:

Once you create property with some type say String and you referred this to somewhere in Bladelogic object. If you want to type to enumeration, it is not possible, even if you clear references. The only way is depreciate and use the sql script to delete it from DB.

This is how designed in Bladelogic. But There are lots of work going on property dictionary in BMC R&D to improve property dictionary issues.

Thanks

Siddu