1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2013 11:50 PM by Santosh Pande

PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Hi All,

I just upgraded to Blade Logic version 8.2.

I'm trying to use the Unified Agent Installer to install RSCD agent on Windows.

I set the PSexec server correctly (including the remote authentication and routhing rules).

Everything works and I can see in the logs that PSExec starts up:

Info 10:58:27 15/10/2012 Executing command 'msiexec /I "C:\temp\stage\aa32d878-9ddf-440c-bfd1-3eb84426b00b_0\RSCD82-SP2-WIN64.msi" /qn C:\rscd.log INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD" /Le C:\temp\stage\aa32d878-9ddf-440c-bfd1-3eb84426b00b_0\error.log' on server 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local' via the PsExec Server 'SrvBLogic-APP.il.betterplace.local'.  Subsequent job log messages will be from the execution of this command.
      Info 10:58:27 15/10/2012 Test for previous agent installation could not find the AgentHome registry value.  Most likely an agent is not installed.  Agent installation will be attempted.
      Info 10:58:27 15/10/2012 The command execution has finished.  Subsequent job log messages will no longer be associated with the command execution.
      Info 10:57:48 15/10/2012 Executing 'REG.exe Query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\BladeLogic\RSCD Agent" /v AgentHome' on server 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local' via the PsExec Server 'SrvBLogic-APP.il.betterplace.local' to see if a previous agent installation exists.  Subsequent job log messages will be from the execution of this command.
      Info 10:57:45 15/10/2012 Copying the agent bundle installer software from the local directory 'C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\NSH\tmp\application_server\67631bd4-90f7-46bf-bb80-288ba90173cb' to the remote directory '/temp/stage/aa32d878-9ddf-440c-bfd1-3eb84426b00b_0'.
      Info 10:57:42 15/10/2012 Loading users file information.
      Info 10:56:40 15/10/2012 OS discovery of server SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local using the remote host authentication 'windows 64' returned 'Windows 64-bit'.
      Info 10:56:40 15/10/2012 Command succeeded with stdout = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment    PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE    REG_SZ    AMD64
      Info 10:56:03 15/10/2012 Executing command 'REG.exe Query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment" /v PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE'.
      Info 10:56:03 15/10/2012 Attempting to discover the OS of server SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local using the remote host authentication 'windows 64'.
      Info 10:56:03 15/10/2012 Remote host authentication 1 of 1 'windows 64' validated successfully against server 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local'.  'windows 64' will be used for the installation.
      Info 10:56:00 15/10/2012 Validating remote host authentication 1 of 1 'windows 64' against server 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local'.
      Info 10:55:58 15/10/2012 Found 1 remote host authentication associated with server 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local'.  Checking it to make sure it is valid.
      Info 10:55:57 15/10/2012 Saving the updated properties for 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local'
      Info 10:55:57 15/10/2012 Initializing the FQDN and IP Address for 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local'
      Warning 10:58:30 15/10/2012 Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
      Warning 10:58:30 15/10/2012 Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
      Warning 10:58:30 15/10/2012 PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely

However, the PSExec step is stuck forever.

When I connect to the PSExec server and run the command, I get a pop-up message to accept the PSExec license agreement.

see the attachment.

Is it possible that this is stopping the installation?

Thanks,

Eyal

• 1. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2
          Chaitanya Kavuru

yes, it is likely that psexec is not able to proceed to process any command as it is stuck at license agreement stage. Have a working psexec and then you should be fine.

• 2. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Hi Chaitanya,

Thanks for the quick reply.

What do you mean "have a working psexec"?

Is there an edition of psexec that does not prompt to accept the EULA?

Thanks,

Eyal

• 3. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2
              Chaitanya Kavuru

As per my knowledge, I do not think there is one like that. I would suggest to agree EULA is preferred.

Also, just make sure you have PsExec of version 1.98 or later.

• 4. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Hi Chaitanya,

I'm not sure you understand the problem.

Have you used the unified agent installer to deploy RSCD agents of version 8.2?

The Blade Logic is running the psexec as part of the installer.

This means Blade Logic does not expose the command used to run psexec.

There is no way to accept the EULA if I don't have GUI to the target server.

psexec has a flag named /accepteula

but again, the install command is hidden and I cannot add this flag.

Does the installation of RSCD agents on Windows work for you?

If it does, I will be greatful if you can export the package and send it to me.

Thanks,

Eyal

P.S. I'm using version 1.98 of psexec.

• 5. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2
                  Chaitanya Kavuru

With Unified agent installer, Psexec server need not be the target server where you are trying to install agent. You can point to any server where you have Psexec running without any issue.

• 6. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Hi,

On the application Server where the PsExec files are located manually launch the psExec.exe and accept the eula and then retry the job on remote server. Also before retrying please see if psexec.exe process is killed on the target server.

In case this does not work then from the command line try to execute the following command to see if psexec itself is able to execute commands on remote servers or not from command line.In case this throws the EULA accecpt windows then accept the certificate and then execute the job again.

psexec.exe \\server_name -u user_name -p password command_name

for example

psexec.exe \\10.98.241.1 -u administrator -p Admin098 hostname

• 7. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2
                      Aryan Anantwar

Hi Eyal,

Have you Installed PsExec properly.

PsExec must be installed in a directory that is specified in the agent's path

environment variable when the agent is started on the PsExec server.

Please verify it.

I think u assigned the downloaded PsExec.exe path which show in that popup on command propmt it show the path of Desktop.

That's why while executing the installation the PsExec is executed from Desktop. whihc instructs you to install it first.

Have you installed PsExec?

Follow the Instruactions from BMCServerAutomationUserGuide_v82.pdf on page 271

Regards,

Aryan

• 8. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the assistance.

Did someone get this installation to work???

I installed psexec on the Blade Logic application server and added it to the PATH environment variable.

If you read my initial post, you can see in the log that the install process starts the psexec:

"Warning 10:58:30 15/10/2012 PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely"

so, psexec is installed correctly.

Aryan, The screenshot is confusing - you're right.

However, psexec.exe is saved in Windows\System32 folder which is in the PATH environment variable.

Piyush, I logged into the server with the Windows service account that is set as the automation principle.

(the user credentials Blade uses to run psexec)

The first time I executed it from command line, I get the pop-up and second time it runs correctly.

I attached another screenshot - the cmd.exe command runs on the remote server.

Even after this, I still get the same behavior that psexec is stuck.

Thanks,

Eyal

• 9. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

I checked the log,PSEXEC Configuration is correct,its not able to launched the RSCD Agent installation over the Target server,it executed the msiexec command successfully.Validation of the RHA is also correct,Its executed the command correctly,

nfo 10:58:27 15/10/2012 Executing command 'msiexec /I "C:\temp\stage\aa32d878-9ddf-440c-bfd1-3eb84426b00b_0\RSCD82-SP2-WIN64.msi" /qn C:\rscd.log INSTALLDIR="C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD" /Le C:\temp\stage\aa32d878-9ddf-440c-bfd1-3eb84426b00b_0\error.log' on server 'SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local' via the PsExec Server 'SrvBLogic-APP.il.betterplace.local'.  Subsequent job log messages will be from the execution of this command.

Check the process started on the target server or not,Check the RSCD Agent installation started on the target machine or not? Check Log,C:\rscd.log check also the Both machine is on the same domain or not?

The Machine in which PSEXEC server configured please restart the agent of the PSEXEC server and then validate the RHA and routing rule and start the Agent Installer job.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Hi Dverma,

good call, I looked at the psexec logs and found this:

Couldn't access SRVENV15-ORC1.rnd.local:

The system detected a possible attempt to compromise security. Please ensure that you can contact the server that authenticated you.

You pointed me exactly in the right direction.

The psexec server and the target server are in different domains.

but when I tried running the installation against a target server in the same domain as the psexec server - the installation process is still stuck at the same point.

In this case the logs are empty.

I did restart the RSCD agent on the psexec server before running the unified installer

I'll look into running psexec between domains.

I'll also open a case with BMC support, but I'd love to know if anyone has the unified installer working.

Thanks,

Eyal

• 11. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Please let me know which WIN target you are using,Because sometime Antivirus process blocking the PSEXEC Execution,So if you want to check stop the Antivirus software and PSEXEC user have all the Access for network resource of Target server and check the firewall is on or off on the target machine.

( for Windows Vista and later) If you are a local administrator on the box and you are NOT the default administrator account than, by default, you will not have access to these shares. This will lead to "Access Denied" errors during the install.

Some of the PSEXEC Command Usage:

1. Here are the basic usage functions for psexecusage: psexec [
                                computer[,computer[OpsUtils14:,..] | @file ][-u user [OpsUtils14:\-p psswd]][OpsUtils14:\-n s][OpsUtils14:\-l][\-s][OpsUtils14:\-i][OpsUtils14:\-x][-c [\-f]][OpsUtils14:\-d][OpsUtils14:\-w directory][OpsUtils14:-<priority>][OpsUtils14:\-a n,n,...] cmd [OpsUtils14:arguments]

computer
                              Direct PsExec to run the application on the computer or computers specified. If you omit the computer name PsExec runs the application on the local system and if you enter a computer name of "
                              *" PsExec runs the applications on all computers in the current domain.

If you omit a username the remote process runs in the same account from which you execute PsExec, but because the remote process is impersonating it will not have access to network resources on the remote system. When you specify a username the remote process executes in the account specified, and will have access to any network resources the account has access to. Note that the password is transmitted in clear text to the remote system.

You can use the current version of PsExec as a Runas replacement when you target the local system because PsExec does not require you to be an administrator.

Examples:

The following command launches an interactive command prompt on
                              dev2.realops.com:

psexec
                              dev2.realops.com -u Administrator -p abc123 cmd

This command executes IpConfig on the remote system with the /all switch, and displays the resulting output locally:

psexec
                              dev2.realops.com -u Administrator -p abc123 ipconfig /all

This command copies the program test.exe to the remote system and executes it interactively:

psexec
                              dev2.realops.com -u Administrator -p abc123 -c test.exe

Specify the full path to a program that is already installed on a remote system if its not on the system's path:

psexec
                              dev2.realops.com -u Administrator -p abc123 c:\bin\test.exe

Run Regedit interactively in the System account to view the contents of the SAM and SECURITY keys::

psexec -i -d -s c:\windows\regedit.exe

To run Internet Explorer as with limited-user privileges use this command:

psexec -l -d "c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe"

• 12. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

I tried the same scenario on WIN2k3X86  target and its work fine...Able to install RSCD Agent successfuly on the WIN Target through Unified Agent Installer Job.

• 13. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2

Finally, resolved.

The problem was indeed the EULA pop-up message.

I connected with Remote Desktop and accepted the EULA manually.

My mistake was that I did it with my own user account.

I connected to the remote desktop with the user that's running the PSEXEC command (the Automation Principle user)

After accepting the EULA with this user, it is working!

Thanks everyone.

Eyal

• 14. Re: PSexec is stuck when trying to install RSCD agent 8.2
                                    Chaitanya Kavuru

Thanks for letting us know this, Eyal.

1 2 Previous Next