8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 11:54 AM by Lazar NameToUpdate

Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

Hi All,

I am going to check RAM and CPU for 200 Servers, each server has different mount of RAM and CPU.

i want to schedule a job to check if these mount of RAM and Cpu  has been changed.

any idea to do that ?

should i create snapshot job for /proc/meminfo, /proc/cpuinfo  in each server? 200 snapshot ?

any trick for this case ?

thank you

Baha

• 1. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

the meminfo output will always change (example: MemFree), so just by auditing a file it's probably not best.

If you want to query for the information directly from the target system, I would probably write an Extended Object with the command that will only return one value. Here's example of total memory (execute remotely):

cat /proc/meminfo | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'

Then you can Audit the Extended Objects results.

Another thing to ask yourself is: do you want to Audit against some golden value (aka: you take one master Audit of the server, and then only compare the rest of Audit to this initial one - and alert when different)

Or: do you want to Audit based on the results of the last Audit value (aka: are there any differences from the last Audit to present)

Both are attainable from the Audit job perspective.

Another way of obtaining CPU/RAM information is from 'Hardware Information' live browse server object, as opposed to creating two Extended Objects. Browse to the item / right-click 'Audit'.

Either way should work - via command line Extended Object you may get more control (it could be my preference, but that's personal view)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

i have 200 servers each of them has diffrent amount of CPU :

server 1 :3 cpu

server 2 :1 cpu

server 3 :2 cpu .

and so on.....

first i would like to take snapshot form HW Info /processor Number of  all my 200 servers

how can i arrange an audit that

check for each server the own snapshotted configuration ?

how can i make audit job for this dynamically ?

• 3. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

Hardware Information / 'Machine Summary' actually gives you a cleaner, less cluttered view. I think from there you should be able to audit the number of CPUs. memory and the rest.

Go to 'Hardware Information' / right-click 'Machine Summary' / Audit, uncheck the boxes for everything that's not needed, check the box for 'Total Number of Cores (or Logical Processors), check the box for 'Virtual Memory', and that should be it for the Audit Job.

• 4. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

yes that correct

but the master in Audit job shall be for example 4 CPU and 2 RAM:

and in theTarget servers  they have diffrent amount of CPU and RAM

so the audit job will not complient to any server.

Bladelogic just allow one master to compare to the targets , and this is the main point.

i dont have problem to set the rule or what i would to audit , i just have problem how to audit 200 servers each of them has diffrent amount of cpu and ram.

should i create 200 audit jobs ??????????

• 5. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

If you have one target that has 4CPU and 2RAM, then you can create a snapshot from it and use that as a master, but if you don't then perhaps a better way would be to use the Compliance Job rather that Snapshot/Audit.

With Compliance Job you can write the rule and match it to any number you wish for CPUs/RAM, etc.. Let us know if you're not familiar with Compliance Jobs and how one would use it for this task.

• 6. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

i am familiar with compliance job i will do that in this way :

compliance job for servers that have 2 CPUs

compliance job for servers that have 4 CPUs

compliance job for servers that have 6 CPUs

compliance job for servers that have 8 CPUs

another compliance jobs

compliance job for servers that have 2 RAMs

compliance job for servers that have 4 RAMs

compliance job for servers that have 6 RAMs

compliance job for servers that have 8 RAMs

compliance job for servers that have 16 RAMs

compliance job for servers that have 32 RAMs

so in Total i will have 10 compliance to cover my 200 servers

any other suggestions

thanks

• 7. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

Actually pretty simple (just tested)

Create Component Template (check compliance in the general), and as a part navigate to 'Machine Summary' of any of the servers that has it, then in the options of this part, check all the settings which you will want to audit.

Once the template is saved, open it, go to Compliance, and click add Rule:

In Rule Definition, click [plus] and browse to 'Hardware Information.Machine Summary:/System - 'Total Number of Socketed Processors' (for example) and specify 'equals' 4.

Use same approach for everything other component.

Save the Template, run Discovery Job against the target(s) you wish to validate, and then run the Compliance Job against those target (or the components which were created for those targets during Discovery job)

• 8. Re: Compliance CPU and Ram for 200 servers

I think that should do it. the Compliance Job can only tell 'pass' or 'fail', so with compliance I do not see any other way, than specific job per specific check.

From reporting perspective (since I don't know your end goal), I suppose you could also write an NSHScript that would run the commands on the targets to get this information, and them print it out for you (in the script you can store that information in arrays, and then print out:

2 CPUs: target1, target2, targerN

3 CPUs: targetA, targetB, targetZ

etc...