8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 11:37 AM by Iain Taylor

PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2

Iain Taylor

BSA Platform 8.2.2

OS Platform RHEL 6.2

I have just upgraded to 8.2 SP2 from 8.1 SP3 and recieve the following error when trying to provision a Windows 2008 SP2 server:

Host = xx.xx.xx.xx

Port = 9831

MACADDR : 00-50-56-9d-00-0f00-50-56-9d-00-10

Platform x64

BMI : Get next state

.BMI Next state is 'switchboot'

BMI : Get next state details

ERROR : Error in comm read 2

ERROR : no element found at line 1

looking through the kb articles the comm read 2 error is because it can not find the mac address to provision onto, and also I am guessing that this is because somehow or somewhere both mac addresses from both nic interfaces are being outputed, even though one of them has been set to inactive and we should only be provisioning against the mgt mac address.

looking at the provisioning job, the correct mac address (mgt address) is being sent to provison.

Has anyone come up against this before? or know of any fixes?

Many thanks

Iain

• 1. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
          Steffen Kreis

Hi Ian,

i think we had this error as well when we upgraded the BL Infrastructure, but did not update the WinPE's with the latest external files.

Have you replaced especially bmi.exe in your PE to the appropriate version ?

Cheers

Steffen

• 2. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
            Iain Taylor

Thank You for getting back to me Steffen, Your recommendation is one of the things that I did miss, but I have updated/replaced them now and I am still coming up with the same error.

• 3. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
              Bill Robinson

what is the network connectivity between the target and the appserver?

this was working fine in 8.1 SP3 ?

you did regenerate the WinPE Images w/ the new BMI from the 8.2 SP2 provision-file.zip ?

what are you running a switchboot?  what image is the system booted into here and what os are you trying to provision?

• 4. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
                Iain Taylor

Hi Bill, Thanks for getting back to me, I have raised a issue regarding this.

Everything worked fine with 8.1 SP3, we regenerated the WinPE Images with the new BMI, the system is running a switchboot, we are trying to provision Win2K8 R2 SP1 64bit, we are able to provision Linux servers using the Gentoo images.

we are seeing a number of issues after the install which is why I raised the ticket.

Unable to create any new System package Types "Java NullPointerErrors"

Unable to create a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 System Package Unable to click the finish button.

Engineering have come back with the following:

"There is an Property Set class Named "Windows 2008 R2 Sp1_" that is being created under the Property Set Class with device Type ID 1099 which is a Hidden Property Set Class in 8.2., This is causing the szste Package type save to fail as the PSC with Data Type Id 1099 is duplicated to create a new System Package Type. And during the Duplication process we are also duplicate the Child records which we don't expect to be present"

Message was edited by: Iain Taylor added extracts of error log error when trying to provision error when trying to create a system package type.

• 5. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2

make sure that the mac that you have in the provisioned job is the first one. that's the one it is going to pick up by default.

• 6. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
                    Luciano Spagnuolo

I recently had similar issues but we hadn't upgraded to 8.2.2 we built at that level.  My provisioning setup was with a PDR windows server with multiple NICs.  First I got a read error 0 which I isolated to a permission issue on the pxestore (files couldn't be read) than after fixing that I got theread error 2 issue.  This turned out to be with the communications on the PDR between the two NICs.  The packets were coming in one NIC but going out the other.  My solution (with the help of Bill) was to change the TFTP ip for the other NIC and that corrected everything.

Is your server multi-homed? if so go over your configuration and check everything having to do with communication in/out for provisioning.

• 7. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
                      Jim Wilson

Hi Iain,

Please can you update your thread with any new information.

Thanks & Regards,

Jim (Forum Admin)

• 8. Re: PXE Provisioning error Error in comm read 2 after upgrade to 8.2.2
                        Iain Taylor

Hi Jim, In the end I had to raise an issue against this as it appeared that the migration from 8.1 to 8.2 wasn't successful, the response from engineering when we did get it fixed is as follows

The reason this happened was because we have introduced the table System_Package_Type_Image in 8.2 which was not present in 8.1.

And we put some data related to the image and System Package Type in this table which was not present in 8.1.

So ideally the migration should have handle this and inserted the required records in 8.2 db but that didn't happen.

And the 8.2 code is been coded to retrieve the related data for System Package type from the System_Package_Type_Image table as well and the data for the same was not present in System_Package_Type_Image  table and so we are facing this issue.

We had to get a remediation package put together to run against the BSA db.

If anyone else see the same issues after upgrade.

Unable to create any new System package Types "Java NullPointerErrors"

Unable to create a Windows 2008 R2 SP1 System Package Unable to click the finish button.

ERROR : Error in comm read 2 when trying to provision

It might be worth quoting ISS04021034, The remediation package came in three scripts the first one determining whether there were any "System_Package_Type_Image" exist, it is non distructive. but this can only be run after the BSA "BLADELOGIC" database has been upgraded.