4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2012 10:23 AM by Laurent Matheo

Changing/Editing Forms, active links, etc. in Remedy Developer Studio 7.6.04

Share This:

Our previous AR admin took another job, and I have been tasked with taking over the position.  Here is my current problem:

I have the AR administrator role on my remedy profile.  I login to the AR Server through Remedy Developer Studio.  I can view all of the applications, forms, active links, etc.

But, I cannot edit/change/add anything to the forms or their properties.  I have tried it in developer perspective and editor perspective, but cannot change or edit anything in developer studio.

It is almost like I have a view only or read only access to the developer studio.

What else do I need to check or what areas do I need to look in?  Do I need to be the owner of a form to be able to make changes to it?  If so, how do I change the ownership of a form?

What do I need to check on to ensure I have change/edit abilities in the developer studio?

Thanks for any guidance or help

-Josh

• 1. Re: Chaning/Editing Forms, active links, etc. in Remedy Developer Studio 7.6.04
          Laurent Matheo

From 7.6.04 you can't modify the base (OOTB) workflow / objects anymore. This had been done to protect the objects and ensure that your specific code will make it even after an upgrade.

That's why in Developer Studio 7.6.04 you have two mode, "best practice" (default) and "base". You can switch mode in Developer Studio (File->Switch mode) (or something like that).

Best practice mode and overlays:

Long story short, in "best practice" you can't modify the base (OOTB) workflow / objects. BMC created the "overlay" concept for this.

Let's say you want to change a qualification in an active link. To work on it in "best practice" mode, you need to create an overlay of the object (right click on it and "create overlay").

This creates an overlay, pretty much like a copy of an object that visually has the same name, an icon (blue square) will tell you that's an overlay though.

Once you created this "copy" (overlay), you can modify it as you wish. The system will see that for this ACL an overlay exists and will use it instead of the "base" object (original).

This way, you never touch the "base" object and you always work with the "copy".

It works the same for all objects (filtres, acl, escalations).

By the way, if you right click the object and hit "delete" it will only delete the overlay object, never the original one.

Let's say you want to change a field label in a form. As again, right click on the form and "create overlay".

Go to the view in the form and make it an overlay (Form->Create view overlay).

Right click on the field you want to change the label and select "create overlay".

Then you'll be able to change its label.

Base developement:

If you want to work "like before" (I mean before 7.6.04) on the original objects, switch to "base developement mode" (File->Switch mode) but it's not the best practice anymore.

• 2. Re: Chaning/Editing Forms, active links, etc. in Remedy Developer Studio 7.6.04

Thank you so much for the response!  It was a great help.  Is there a specific step or process that tells Remedy to start using the overlay that you created?  Does the overlay automatically become what is being used in Remedy production just by "saving" it?

If I create an overlay of a form, do I also have to create overlays for each field or active link that I want to edit/change within that form?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• 3. Re: Chaning/Editing Forms, active links, etc. in Remedy Developer Studio 7.6.04

Thank you so much for the response!  It was a great help.  Is there a specific step or process that tells Remedy to start using the overlay that you created?  Does the overlay automatically become what is being used in Remedy Production just by "saving" it?

If I create an overlay of a form, do I also have to create overlays for fields, active links, etc. that I want to edit/change within that form?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

• 4. Re: Chaning/Editing Forms, active links, etc. in Remedy Developer Studio 7.6.04
                Laurent Matheo

Is there a specific step or process that tells Remedy to start using the overlay that you created?  Does the overlay automatically become what is being used in Remedy Production just by "saving" it?

No like I said it's automatic, you don't have to do anything.

Though of course if you change / add some forms / active links you need to flush mid-tier cache (but it was already the case before).

If I create an overlay of a form, do I also have to create overlays for fields, active links, etc. that I want to edit/change within that form?

For objects yes

And for some objects it's a bit different you'll need to overlay all the views (for example to add a value in a list).

I don't see the link with active links since it's a single objects?

Let's say you want to change label on a status field in "hpd:help desk", you need to put "form, view, field" in overlay. But if there are 25 active link using this field you don't have to put them in overlay as well since you don't change those active links.

You overlay objects that you want to modify.

1 of 1 people found this helpful