Can any of you guys clarify the upgrade path from 8.2 SP1 to 8.2 SP2?
I already know that I need to upgrade the DB, App server and Consoles to match. It's the other components I am not sure about.
I need to understand which components of BSA have been changed and what all we need to upgrade. Do I need to upgrade our:
- Compliance content?
- Other components?
The documentation has the following steps:
Upgrading from version 8.2 SP1 or later — Complete the following tasks:
- Upgrade the Application Server.
- Run the SQL scripts provided in the 8.2 SP2 service pack.
- Complete the upgrade tasks for the other BMC Server Automation components, as described below.
The confusion for me is coming on step 3. If you expand the instructions there I am seeing the following additional requirements:
- Upgrade at least one Application Server. Upgrade at least one BMC Server Automation Console. See Upgrading the BMC Server Automation Console.
- Migrate the BMC Server Automation database to the current release. See Migrating core BMC Server Automation data.
- If you are migrating from a pre-8.0 version of BMC Server Automation, migrate compliance rules and discovery signatures. See Migrating compliance rules and discovery signatures.
- If the BMC Server Automation file server resides on a different computer from the Application Server, upgrade the RSCD agent on the computer on which file server resides. The file server and the database must be at the same version you before run BMC Server Automation.
- Confirm that the file server agent is running.
- (Windows) Upgrade RSCD agents on Windows Domain Controllers.
- Upgrade the BMC Server Automation provisioning system. See Upgrading the Provisioning System.
- Upgrade the other BMC Server Automation Application Servers, consoles, and RSCD agents in your enterprise
So, my question is, do I need to follow all of the steps under number three (steps 1 and 2) seem redundant. Another interesting point is that I see this in the documentation:
The installers for BMC Server Automation Compliance Content, BMC Vendor Patch Management, BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration, and BMC BladeLogic Advanced Repeater were not upgraded for version 8.2 SP2.
- If you have installed version 8.2 SP1 for any of these programs, you need not upgrade to Service Pack 2 (8.2.02) to obtain those programs.
- To upgrade to version 8.2 SP1 of these programs, download them from the BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Suite 8.2.02 item on the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website.