1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2012 12:33 PM by Brandon Gillis

Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

Can any of you guys clarify the upgrade path from 8.2 SP1 to 8.2 SP2?

I already know that I need to upgrade the DB, App server and Consoles to match. It's the other components I am not sure about.

I need to understand which components of BSA have been changed and what all we need to upgrade. Do I need to upgrade our:

1. PXE/TFTP?
      2. Compliance content?
      3. Agents?
      4. Reporting?
      5. Other components?

The documentation has the following steps:

Upgrading from version 8.2 SP1 or later — Complete the following tasks:

1. Upgrade the Application Server.
      2. Run the SQL scripts provided in the 8.2 SP2 service pack.
      3. Complete the upgrade tasks for the other BMC Server Automation components, as described below.

The confusion for me is coming on step 3. If you expand the instructions there I am seeing the following additional requirements:

1. Upgrade at least one Application Server. Upgrade at least one BMC Server Automation Console. See Upgrading the BMC Server Automation Console.
      2. Migrate the BMC Server Automation database to the current release. See Migrating core BMC Server Automation data.
      3. If you are migrating from a pre-8.0 version of BMC Server Automation, migrate compliance rules and discovery signatures. See Migrating compliance rules and discovery signatures.
      4. If the BMC Server Automation file server resides on a different computer from the Application Server, upgrade the RSCD agent on the computer on which file server resides. The file server and the database must be at the same version you before run BMC Server Automation.
      5. Confirm that the file server agent is running.
      6. (Windows) Upgrade RSCD agents on Windows Domain Controllers.
      7. Upgrade the BMC Server Automation provisioning system. See Upgrading the Provisioning System.
      8. Upgrade the other BMC Server Automation Application Servers, consoles, and RSCD agents in your enterprise

So, my question is, do I need to follow all of the steps under number three (steps 1 and 2) seem redundant. Another interesting point is that I see this in the documentation:

Note

The installers for BMC Server Automation Compliance Content, BMC Vendor Patch Management, BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration, and BMC BladeLogic Advanced Repeater were not upgraded for version 8.2 SP2.

• If you have installed version 8.2 SP1 for any of these programs, you need not upgrade to Service Pack 2 (8.2.02) to obtain those programs.
      • To upgrade to version 8.2 SP1 of these programs, download them from the BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Suite 8.2.02 item on the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website.
        • 1. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
          Bill Robinson

1 - pxe/tftp - yes

2 - i don't believe there is SP2 content.  if there is you can upgrade, but you don't have to.

3 - file server agent yes, other agents, yes if you need the fixes present in the agent in sp2, the point being that you don't need to have all your agents immediately upgraded.

4 - reporting yes

5 - none that i'm aware of.

to upgrade from SP1 to SP2 you need to run the appserver installer, run the sql scripts, start the appserver, update your guis.

step 1 and 2 in the note are talking about upgrading from < 8.2 SP1 to SP2. 

i think the confusion here is that sp1 required db migration to be run, even when upgrading from GA, where as there is no db migration specifically for sp2.

• 2. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

Thanks Bill.

I believe that documentation needs to be fixed in order to be more clear. The stuff under the Note should not be there if it is referring to another upgrade path.

• 3. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
              Bill Robinson

Yeah – we are working on it.  the SPs were sharing a common set of instructions so it would be easier to kick out the TB pages, but obviously that needs some work…

• 4. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

We need some additional help here- the documentation around this upgrade path is seemingly poor (maybe I am missing something).

1. What is the correct upgrade sequence to upgrade all of the components from SP1 to SP2, including Reporting?
                2. Where are the database upgrade scripts? I don't see anything in any of the files on the EPD for SP2, including the external-files.zip, which is obviously the upgrade script. They aren't mentioned anywhere in the documentation that I can find.
                3. Got a document which outlines any of this?

And lastly, what happened to the old days of "Follow these 5 steps"?

• 5. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
                  Bill Robinson

sorry - there aren't any db scripts for sp2.  many times there are sql scripts for sp upgrades and they are delivered as a zip file and need to be run, and there is no db migration performed.

so basically:

shut everything down.

- upgrade the file server agent

- upgrade the appserver

- upgrade the gui on the appserver if there is one (you shouldn't have this but it happens)

- upgrade pxe if you have it.

- start everything up

- upgrade the guis on the workstations

- run the content upgrade (there is a content update included)

- upgrade the agents as permitted.

• 6. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

Okay, so now I am even more confused because it clearly states in the documentation- as I showed above:

If there aren't any database upgrade scripts- this is flat out wrong.

What about reporting? any upgrades that need to be done there?

• 7. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
                      Bill Robinson

sorry - multitasking - there are db scripts. too many dirs open..my bad

so from the sections above:

3. Complete the upgrade tasks for the other BMC Server Automation components, as described below.

• Upgrade at least one Application Server. Upgrade at least one BMC Server Automation Console. See Upgrading the BMC Server Automation Console
                      • Migrate the BMC Server Automation database to the current release. See Migrating core BMC Server Automation data.   Already done in 1 and 2 above.  no data migration from SP1 to SP2, only sql scripts to run.
                      • If you are migrating from a pre-8.0 version of BMC Server Automation, migrate compliance rules and discovery signatures. See Migrating compliance rules and discovery signatures
                      • If the BMC Server Automation file server resides on a different computer from the Application Server, upgrade the RSCD agent on the computer on which file server resides. The file server and the database must be at the same version you before run BMC Server Automation. 
                      • Confirm that the file server agent is running. 
                      • (Windows) Upgrade RSCD agents on Windows Domain Controllers. 
                      • Upgrade the BMC Server Automation provisioning system. See Upgrading the Provisioning System
                      • Upgrade the other BMC Server Automation Application Servers, consoles, and RSCD agents in your enterprise

what was interesting about this ?  it's just saying there are no changes to the below:

Note

The installers for BMC Server Automation Compliance Content, BMC Vendor Patch Management, BMC BladeLogic Atrium Integration, and BMC BladeLogic Advanced Repeater were not upgraded for version 8.2 SP2.

• If you have installed version 8.2 SP1 for any of these programs, you need not upgrade to Service Pack 2 (8.2.02) to obtain those programs. 
                      • To upgrade to version 8.2 SP1 of these programs, download them from the BMC BladeLogic Server Automation Suite 8.2.02 item on the BMC Electronic Product Distribution (EPD) website.

in general the normal procedure to update to a SP from a previous release of the same version is:

- upgrade appserver

- upgrade file server agent

- run sql scripts if they are there

- upgrade pxe

- upgrade guis

- upgrade reports and run ETL.  typically you cannot run the ETL until you have upgraded bdssa to match the SP level of bsa so some poeple do this first.

- upgrade agents on targets as permitted

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

If indeed there are db scripts, where are they and is there any documentation around which ones should be run- by which user and against which DB?

I have performed these upgrades in the past and there were always instructions to the effect of "Download the external-files, navigate to x/x/x directory and execute Y script as sys"

I can't find the scripts, or the instructions.

• 9. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
                          Bill Robinson

On the EPD I see:

BSA 8.2.00 SP2 SQL Upgrade Script Package.

For an upgrade that uses the migration manager, you never run the external files directly – those are always called by the migration manager.

The db scripts would need to be run against the blade db as the blade db user since this is a bladelogic upgrade…

• 10. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

I have already downloaded and looked through that zip file- I do not see anything that is inuitively named to let me know its the correct script to run.

We need some documentation that clearly outlines the steps required to update the database.

• 11. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
                              Bill Robinson

How about the ‘readme.txt’ that is in the 82-SP2-SQL_Update_Scripts.zip ?

• 12. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02
                                Akbar Aziz

I did the upgrade last night and you need to run the script (for SQL) called install_hotfix_update_sqlserver_script.bat located in the 82-SP2-SQL_Update_Scripts.zip file for BSA.

The steps I performed for BSA, not including the reporting server:

1. stop app server
                                2. stop pxe/tftp server
                                3. upgrade agent
                                4. restart agent
                                5. upgrade app server
                                6. upgrade console
                                7. copied provisioning files
                                8. updated dbase with SP2 script
                                9. rebooted app server
                                10. uninstalled pxe
                                11. re-installed pxe
                                12. configured pxe
                                13. rebooted app server
                                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Upgrading from 8.2.01 to 8.2.02

Thanks Akbar.

What about the BDSSA upgrade? Anybody performed this? Anybody know where the scripts are for the upgrade?

1 2 Previous Next