10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2012 7:19 AM by Bill Robinson

8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade

Good morning!

We recently upgraded from 8.1 to 8.2 across the board. All of our endpoints were upgraded throughout the day yesterday and Tuesday and this morning I had jobs that use BLpackages failing. Looking at other jobs also running (file deploy, nsh scripts, etc) they work fine. All of the BLPackage jobs are failing with "file not there" type errors. When I looked at the files on the end points, they were there. Out of curiousity, I checked the RSCD_Dir path and it shows C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\RSCD on the systems that failed. On the jobs that actually passed the commit phase, the RSCD_Dir path was C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD. I have ran a job to update the properties of the end points, but this path is not changing.

After the Update Properties job just completed on my target system (failed from earlier) it still is showing as the wrong RSCD_Dir as well as still showing up on 8.1 sp3. Any thoughts are very much welcomed!

• 1. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade
          Bill Robinson

what version of 8.2 are you on?  8.2 GA or 8.2 SP1 ?

on the failed servers, where is the agent actually installed?  in the C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\RSCD or in C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD ?

if you run an agentinfo against some of the failed servers, what version is shown?

on the failed servers there should be a log from the agent msi, maybe in %TEMP% or c:\windows\temp.  can you look for that and attach ?

• 2. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade

Installing this version 8.2.01.273 also showing this in agentinfo.

On the failed systems, RSCD is showing up as c:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD\...however, there are still files in the c:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\RSCD directory and RSCD.log, among other things, is still being accessed in the 8.1 directory.

Also, not seeing any current RSCD-install.log file ini in windows\temp.

• 3. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade
              Bill Robinson

the log file would not be named like that - the msi uses a different format unless you used the /L option w/ the install.

are these systems all windows x64 ?

you ran the upgrade and how have two install paths on the systems?  both C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\RSCD and C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD ?

what exe is the service using ?

what dir is the registry pointing to ? (hklm\software\bladelogic)

have you rebooted any of these systems ?

• 4. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade

the log file would not be named like that - the msi uses a different format unless you used the /L option w/ the install. The guy who actually did the install did not use the logging of MSIEXEC. So that will be a no go.

are these systems all windows x64 ? Nope. X86.

you ran the upgrade and how have two install paths on the systems?  both C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\8.1\RSCD and C:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD ? - Confusing, right? I know I am. Yes sir, both paths are present.

what exe is the service using ? rscdsvc - HandleAgentStart: Agent process started ("c:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD

what dir is the registry pointing to ? (hklm\software\bladelogic)

AgentHomeRegistry ValueREG_SZc:\Program Files\BMC Software\BladeLogic\RSCD\

They have ont been rebooted to the best of my knowledge.

• 5. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade

I think I found a work around for this...Not sure whether this is a bug in the installer or what, but I thought I would share. Our McAfee EPO SolidCore was causing alot of stupidness with this upgrade for whatever reason.

Stop the RSCDSVC

Stop SolidCore

Taskkill RSCD.exe (did not stop process when the service was stopped)

Deleted directory 8.1

start RSCDSVC

Update Server Properties

For whatever reason, possibly because there was no reboot, the RSCD.exe had all kinds of files open and the uninstall was very "dirty", for all 3400 endpoints we installed at. I hope my headache saves someone a bit of strife.

• 6. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade
                    Bill Robinson

how did you run the upgrade?

also, look in the c:\windows\rsc\log4crc.txt file - where are the log file paths pointing ?

• 7. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade

C:/Program Files/BMC Software/BladeLogic/8.1/RSCD

I get the feeling that my co-worker's install is going to be a crap-ton (that's metric) of cleanup.

I didn't actually build the install package for this upgrade, so I cannot answer those questions.

• 8. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade
                        Bill Robinson

You need to change that to point to the correct path.

How did you push out this upgrade?

• 9. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade

They used our old deployment console, Altiris. I got stuck with cleanup it seems.

I am working on getting that log4crc file cleaned up now.

• 10. Re: 8.1 to 8.2 Upgrade
                            Bill Robinson

ok, typically you can use bladelogic to push the agent upgrades out and that has a good rate of success.  there's a section in the docs about using a file deploy job to push out agent upgrades.

1 of 1 people found this helpful