4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2012 12:47 AM by Bertrand Imbert

Migration from BLSA 8.0 SP9 to 8.2 question

Bertrand Imbert

Hello

We will start soon the migration of our current BLSA 8.0 SP9 on solaris to the lastest 8.2

We are thinking to install from scratch means that we want to do a fresh installation on a new server with a fresh db ,after export from 8.0 SP to 8.2 selectable objects

So can we do it ? means can we export jobs/ Depot / servers and import them on a fresh install of the 8.2 ?

If yes how ?

Thanks a lot for help

Bertrand

• 1. Re: Migration from BLSA 8.0 SP9 to 8.2 question

Why would you want to do a fresh install? You can export a few of the items from one version to another. Compliance templates, servers can be exported. But the blpackages or jobs cant be exported from one version to another.

If you still are keen on making a new environment, then I would recommend to upgrade your existing env to 8.2. Later export the items and import them in the new 8.2 environment.

Also, see https://kb.bmc.com/infocenter/index?page=content&id=KA356995

• 2. Re: Migration from BLSA 8.0 SP9 to 8.2 question

Exporting across versions is not possible/easy  for most of the objects.

The best way will be to do :

1. Get a DB clone of your current 8.0 DB

2. Install a fresh new 8.0 and use the DB clone obtained in 1. Doing this means, you still have your current 8.0 running instance to use till you certify the new 8.2 one. Also, you can go back to this instance to get any missed objects/properties etc.

3. Migrate this installation to 8.2 -> Follow all Migrations steps , get Recommendatiion from BMC Support if requried

4. After you are at 8.2 for this installation  -> Test  this is working for your selectable objects and overal basic functionality.

5. Now install a fresh 8.2 Version with a fresh DB

6. Use export to get your selectable objects from the migrated 8.2 to the new fresh 8.2

This does mean that you need to have additional resources for building the intermediatory 8.2 migrated instance, but this will ensure you keep your 8.0 running instance in a good working shape till you get a certified tested 8.2 running instance with the selected objects only.

Hope this helps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Migration from BLSA 8.0 SP9 to 8.2 question
              Bill Robinson

@prabhat - version neutral export was not added until 8.1 so they will not be able to export anything from the 8.0 environment in a version neutral format.

i would second rohit's procedure. though i would ask - is there a reason you want to start from scratch ?  if you have a significant number of objects or a complex rbac setup it would be advisable to upgrade the existing env.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Migration from BLSA 8.0 SP9 to 8.2 question
                Bertrand Imbert

Thanks to all for your replies

I will help me to define the correct strategie