11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2012 6:26 PM by Garland Smith RSS

patrol- thresholds, services.

galso

Is there a way to configure some of the services thresholds and all the rest with diffrent configutations, so new services will get the "rest" configurations?

(which is not manually?)

thanks in advance.

• 1. patrol- thresholds, services.
    John Gallagher

Not sure what you mean, can you give me an example ? You could always create your thresholds and push them out using PCM.

• 2. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    Mohit Pandit

As of my understanding, you want to change the threshold values only for few of the services and not for all and those going to be added/discovered later on.

I think you can do this. You need to follow the usual instruction to change the threshold values using EM KM, but instead of selecting "All Instances" select the specific service name.

I'll try to test it out after sometime.

Thank you,

Mohit

Please make it correct/helpful answer, if it resolved your situation.

• 3. patrol- thresholds, services.
    galso

JGallagher,I want to configure few of my services to be in critical alarm if they are not running, and all the other services to alert with warning if they are not running. 

New services should have warning alert automatically if they are not running.

I know I can configure servicestatus with "thresholds" and choose all instances, but then I can't configure the critical alarm.

I tried to use service configuration, but there is no way to choose multiple services.

Mohit, I don't want to configure one by one manually, and I want to have a configuration, which be implanted on new services automatically.

Is it possible?

thank you very much!

• 4. patrol- thresholds, services.
    Oleg Protokolov

Hi,

I think, it is possible. Try this settings:

PATROL_CONFIG

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 1" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#001>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#002>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#Etc>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" }

Only YourCriticalServie#001, YourCriticalServie#002, ..., YourCriticalServie#Etc services will generate ALARM event if suddenly stopped.

All others and new discovered services will generate only WARN event.

Is that's all you need?

--

Regards,

Oleg

• 5. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    galso

Thank you very much,

But I forgot to mention that I want those configurations just for services in automatic startuptype...

I think it won't work according to what I have just wrote...

• 6. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    Mohit Pandit

In that case you need to do it(change the pconfig) for all those automatic services manually.

You can probably save the configuration in a txt/wordpad file and use 'replace all' under find.

Thank you,

Mohit

Please make it correct/helpful answer, if it resolved your situation.

• 7. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    Oleg Protokolov

Hi!

And what behaviour you want for the services with a manual startup type?

--

Regards,

Oleg

• 8. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    galso

I will explain myself again. This is my goal:

All of the services should be monitored.

Disable and manual services: do not alert if service is down.

Automatic: warning alert (except few automatic services with critical alert).

New automatic services will have warning alert.

Is it possible?

Thanke you so much.

• 9. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    Garland Smith

There is no way to base thresholds on manual .vs. automatic services.  The

threshold definitions don't

know anything about the nature of the individual instances.

Garland Smith

• 10. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    Oleg Protokolov

Hi!

It is possible with some notes...

Try this settings:

PATROL_CONFIG

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 1" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#001>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#002>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#Etc>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus/arsAction" = { REPLACE = "6" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus/arsCmdType" = { REPLACE = "PSL" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus/arsCommand" = {

REPLACE = "if ( intersection( [ \"ALARM\", \"WARN\" ], __param_status__ ) )\

{\

pwkSvcName  = get( sprintf( \"/%s/%s/pwk_instanceName\", __appl_class__, __instance__ ) );\

pconfigKey  = sprintf( \"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/%s\", pwkSvcName );\

startupType = pconfig( \"FORMAT\", 34, \"\", \"\", pconfigKey . \"/StartupType\" );\

if ( \"manual\" == tolower( startupType ) )\

{\

# Configuring the service - do not generate alarm in the future...\

pconfig( \"REPLACE\", pconfigKey . \"/Alarm\", 0 );\

paramPath = sprintf( \"/%s/%s/%s/value\", __appl_class__, __instance__, __param__ );\

set( paramPath, 1 );\

}\

}"

}

Notes:

1. I use the recovery action (PSL), to configure the services with manual startup type - do not generate alarm in the next time. At the time of the first alarm, it will be for a short while, but soon (after RA finished) disappears.

2. This settings will applyed to all new discovered services

3. If you do not use NOTIFY EVENTS, you can change the value of 'arsAction' parameter to 2

--

Regards,

Oleg

• 11. Re: patrol- thresholds, services.
    Garland Smith

Very creative. I should have qualified my

Previous reply and stated that tp do wjat was requested would require indepth knowledge of the services km and advanced knowledge to write and implement the pkm for em recoveru actipn to accomplish this.  My compliments!

Garland Smith

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

To: Garland Smith <garlandsmith1953@att.net>;

Subject: patrol- thresholds, services. New message on BMC Communities

Sent: Sun, Jul 29, 2012 6:49:06 PM

BMC Communities

Thread: "patrol- thresholds, services."

created by OProtokolov in Performance Management - View the full discussion Hi! It is possible with some notes... Try this settings: PATROL_CONFIG "/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 1" }, "/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#001>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" }, "/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#002>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" }, "/AS/EVENTSPRING/PARAM_SETTINGS/THRESHOLDS/NT_SERVICES/<YourCriticalServie#Etc>/ServiceStatus" = { REPLACE = "1,0 0 0 0 0 0,1 2 2 0 0 1,1 3 3 0 0 2" }, "/AS/EVENTSPRING/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus/arsAction" = { REPLACE = "6" }, "/AS/EVENTSPRING/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus/arsCmdType" = { REPLACE = "PSL" },

"/AS/EVENTSPRING/NT_SERVICES/__ANYINST__/ServiceStatus/arsCommand" = { REPLACE = "if ( intersection( [ \"ALARM\", \"WARN\" ], __param_status__ ) )\ {\   pwkSvcName  = get( sprintf( \"/%s/%s/pwk_instanceName\", __appl_class__, __instance__ ) );\   pconfigKey  = sprintf( \"/PSX__P4WinSrvs/PWK__PKMforMSWinOS_config/ServiceMonitoring/ServiceList/%s\", pwkSvcName );\   startupType = pconfig( \"FORMAT\", 34, \"\", \"\", pconfigKey . \"/StartupType\" );\   if ( \"manual\" == tolower( startupType ) )\   {\     # Configuring the service - do not generate alarm in the future...\     pconfig( \"REPLACE\", pconfigKey . \"/Alarm\", 0 );\     paramPath = sprintf( \"/%s/%s/%s/value\", __appl_class__, __instance__, __param__ );\     set( paramPath, 1 );\   }\ }" } Notes: 1. I use the recovery action (PSL), to configure the services with manual startup type - do not generate alarm in the next time. At the time of the first alarm, it will be for a

short while, but soon (after RA finished) disappears. 2. This settings will applyed to all new discovered services 3. If you do not use NOTIFY EVENTS, you can change the value of 'arsAction' parameter to 2 -- Regards, Oleg

Previous message from gal sonnenfeld :

I will explain myself again. This is my goal: All of the services should be monitored. Disable and manual services: do not alert if service is down. Automatic: warning alert (except few automatic services with critical alert). New automatic services will have warning alert. Is it possible? Thanke you so much.

Previous message from gal sonnenfeld :

Is there a way to configure some of the services thresholds and all the rest with diffrent configutations, so new services will get the "rest" configurations? (which is not manually?) thanks in advance.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on BMC Communities

Start a new discussion in Performance Management at BMC Communities

Thank you for your participation on BMC Communities.