6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2012 7:15 AM by Bill Robinson

NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!

Hello,

We are trying to create nsh script by which we can determine if a particular server is patched or not in a particular time period ,like a week or 2 weeks.

Did someone worked on this kind of request?

What would be the right approach for this?, using BSARA/ Smart server groups/ NSH script/....

We have to check a lot of 2000 servers...and since these has multiple customers and multiple patch analysis job, its getting difficult to analyse each job for the list of servers on which patch analysis job ran.?

Please let me know how can we move ahead ?

In simple words , we need to get the list of servers on which patch analysis job ran in last one month....

Thanks & Regards

Malay

• 1. NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!
          Niranjay Bharati

There are multiple ways with which you can do it . One way is to run the patch analysis job using blcli commands and set the new server property value on that date ( take the system date ) which will be used as condition while creating smart groups .. Then with the help of smart groups and the filter criteria .. you would be able to get the list of servers on which patch analysis job ran. You can also check blcli's which can give the status of patch analysis job run and based on that write down shell script which will give you the desired o/p.

Thanks,

-Niranjay.

• 2. NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!

Thanks Niranjan,

Running patch analysis with BLCLI is not possible as there are many users which use BL to just execute the patching jobs. Although I have  created smart group to have all the windows patching jobs. I am struggling to add a property which can give me last job run date to create a smart group in which job ran within last month....

Do you have any suggesstion for that?

Thanks

Malay

• 3. NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!
              Bill Robinson

if you have BDSSA you can generate a report that shows the patch status of your systems based on the last analysis run.  showing the last run of a patching job and a deploy job related to patching really doesn't tell you if the server is patched to the proper level - someone could have decided to push 1 patch of 50 to a server. 

it would make more sense i think to run a paj against the systems where the paj analyzes for whatever you need to be patched to, and then generate a report (either export from the GUI or via bdssa) of the status of the systems.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!

Bill,

PAJ can tell us what all patches are missing and so ... but what if I just want to know the servers on which paj ran in last one month?

Since we want to publish this to a web portal automatically, we need to have a nsh script in place to list the servers and to publish it to our webportal.

• 5. NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!
                  Niranjay Bharati

You can add the nee server property in property dictionary .

In your scenario , as multiple BL users are running PAJ , I would create a batch job and it will contain PAJ and nsh script . This nsh scriptwill set the value of the new server property that you’ve added in property dictionary.You will have to use blcli to assign a server property value. The batch jobwill contain PAJ and nsh script without any target servers added to it so thatyou can tell other BL users to use the batch job instead of executing PAJ . Iam assuming that the all the BL users are referring to dedicated catalog per OStype.

Thanks,

-Niranjay.

• 6. NSH script to determine patched servers...!!!
                    Bill Robinson

you can also use bdssa (reporting) to generate such a report - i think that will be eaiser than trying to work this out w/ blcli.