6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2012 5:05 AM by Bruno Domingues RSS

Problem creating packages in asset core

Angel Etheridge

I have contacted support several times on this and really no definite answer. It's simple really. I can use command line switches (microsoft product) and install or uninstall a product with no problems at all. However if I use that same command in asset core it acts like it works ok but nothing is effected. I've contacted support several times on this but I simply don't have time to call support every time I have to create a package.

Is anyone else running anything similar to this?

• 1. Problem creating packages in asset core
    Raphael Chauvel

Hi, what are you exactly trying to achieve?

Install a custom package using a command-line?

Uninstall using a command-line?

• 2. Problem creating packages in asset core
    Angel Etheridge

Yes custom package using a command line. And it doesn't matter if it's install or uninstall.

• 3. Problem creating packages in asset core
    Raphael Chauvel

I think it matters because uninstalling does not necessarily require a package.

Installing using command-line:

Say your install is an exe called 'setup.exe'. You need to include setup.exe and additional files (e.g. mypatch.msp) in the package, specify a Destination in the installation options (e.g. 'c:\temp') and then put full path in Run Command (e.g. 'c:\temp\setup.exe /adminfile c:\temp\mypatch.msp').

Uninstalling:

You can either:

- create an operational rule that uses the 'Execute Program' step (in folder 'Process Management') and input your full command line (e.g. 'c:\Program Files\myapp\uninstall.exe')

- create an operational rule that uses the 'Uninstall MSI Package' step (in folder 'Windows') and input your package ID (see https://communities.bmc.com/communities/message/250606#250606)

• 4. Problem creating packages in asset core
    Bruno Domingues

Hi,

Is there an automaticly uninstall if a user is unassigned?

Have anyone consider it a good thing?

For example i have a group called adobe, if i put an computer there an operacional rule will install adobe... But if i retire the computer from this group, is there a way to uninstall the adobe?

Thanks.

Bruno

• 5. Problem creating packages in asset core
    Raphael Chauvel

No, there isn't such a possibility with the current version.

I have never seen a strong need for this, mainly because of the administrative burden this would represent (i.e. having to create uninstall procedures for all these packages, and leaving the option to uninstall or not an unassign time).

Would you agree?

• 6. Re: Problem creating packages in asset core
    Bruno Domingues

Yes I agree that  it has some administrative work to do… but if we make the package for installation and for uninstall, in some cases, in some clients, in some ways… it may be a very good thing… Someone asked me do install office 2010, the only thing i need to do is to put  the machines in a group… and if I want to uninstall it was better if the only thing to do is to remove from the group (and not to have a group called office2010un, before the went to “all computers” group). Office is not a very good example, but winzip and some shareware, that we can install and have to remove in a near future!

Obrigado.

Com os melhores cumprimentos,

Bruno Domingues