10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2012 6:55 AM by Oleg Protokolov RSS

Use of PatrolCli on Windows

Karl NameToUpdate

Hi,

I have a basic question about the use of PatrolCli and I would appreciate any assistance.

Several years ago we developed a way to send alerts into BMC Patrol Enterprise Manager from a hp NonStop server on behalf of a customer. For this solution we sent a message from the hp NonStop server to a Windows server which then used PatrolCli.

The use of PatrolCLI was as follows: 

cmd /c "C:\Program Files\BMC Software\Patrol3\bin\PatrolCli.exe" -f C:\PROGRA1\PatrolScript.txt > C:\PROGRA1\PatrolCli_Log.txt 2>&1

An example PatrolScript file would be:

user Admin Pass

connect servername

EVENT SEND CATALOG 10 STATE_CHANGE 2 "Extra_Info1=TEST,Subject=NEW_BMC_TEST,Manager=\NODE$LTPW,Time=2011042016593334,Subsystem_ID=BMC-111-0,Event_Number=+01234,Event_Text=NEW_BMC_TEST_-_WARNING"

Exit

This solution worked correctly with BMC Patrol Enterprise Manager.

My questions are:

• Is the use of PatrolCli still available with BMC ProactiveNet?

• If PatrolCli is still available, has there been any changes to the syntax of PatrolCli that would prevent the execution of the commands as shown above?

Thanks

• 1. Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Oleg Protokolov

Karl, Hi!

Yes, the PatrolCli binary is still available in BMC ProactiveNet architecture.
    Your PatrolScript will works perfect.
    However, I am wary about second argument (see 'CATALOG') of 'SEND' command

EVENT SEND CATALOG 10 STATE_CHANGE 2 "...bla bla bla..."

If it isn't mistake in a command, I think, for PEM you used the custom events
    catalog "CATALOG.ctg", which was installed on all BMC PATROL agents. Is this true?

Karl, do you plan to send PATROL Agent's events into BMC ProactiveNet or
    you trying to solve of some other task?

--

Regards,

Oleg

• 2. Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Karl NameToUpdate

Many thanks for your reply Oleg.

Regarding the use of the CATALOG keyword, this is actually an optional value that can be specified in our hp NonStop monitoring solution. The syntax I posted in the original email was just one of the examples from the original testing we performed many years ago.

In our hp NonStop monitoring solution we allow the customer to configure nominated 'problems' for escalation to BMC PEM. For example if a CPU reaches say 80% Busy then the customer can configure a 'reaction' that will form the basis of what parameters are used with the PatrolCli EVENT SEND command. 

One of the optional items that the customer can configure in the 'reaction'  is the use of the CATALOG parameter. I think the idea behind this is to provide the customer with the ability to catalog related problems toghether i.e. they could catalog a CPU 80% Busy event and say a CPU failed event together. Obviously the customer would have to configure their BMC PEM environment with the catalogs.

Our objective is to be able to send alerts from the hp NonStop server into BMC so that the customer can see major issues in their existing BMC enterprise management solution. We initially chose to use PatrolCli since it seemed to be an easier development and also it was potentially more future proof since at the time the PEM API was being replaced by the BMC Impact Manager API.

Many thanks,

Karl

• 3. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Garland Smith

PATROL Events are categorized/defined in Event Catalogs.  The standard event

catalog contains natively defined events that

the PatrolAgent uses to define events such as Standard Event 11, Standard

Event 9, etc...  Custom event catalogs can be defined

for individual KMs.  This is accomplished using a PATROL Developer Console.

In order to trigger events from these custom

event catalogs, you must define the event catalog.  I believe that's what

the CATALOG keyword is used for.  PatrolCli help should

provide more details.

Regards,

Garland Smith

• 4. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Karl NameToUpdate

Thanks for your reply Garland.

What you describe is my basic understanding of what will happen.

Typically a customer may configure a 'reaction' in our NonStop monitoring software with no CATALOG specified. In this case the PatrolCli EVENT SEND command is issued with no CATALOG keyword and this would therefore use the default Standard catalog.

If the customer wanted to specify a CATALOG in the 'reaction' then we would assume that this would have been configured by the customer in their BMC configuration already.

Our NonStop monitoring solution therefore supports the standard (default) event catalog and also allows support of customer configured event catalogs.

Please note that I don't have any access to the BMC software since I'm just a third party developer.

Thanks

Karl

• 5. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Oleg Protokolov

Karl, Hi!

If I understand correctly, your main goal - to create one-way integration of events "HP NonStop Real-time Process Monitor" with "BMC ProactiveNet"?

Karl wrote:

In our hp NonStop monitoring solution we allow the customer to configure nominated 'problems' for escalation to BMC PEM. For example if a CPU reaches say 80% Busy then the customer can configure a 'reaction' that will form the basis of what parameters are used with the PatrolCli EVENT SEND command.

Question: CPU and other monitoring objects, being controlled by "PATROL Agent" or "HP NonStop"?

If second and if needed only events, you can consider the use of other useful CLI - msend.

It comes with the product BMC ProactiveNet Event Manager.
    Using this utility you can send events (problems, detected by HP NonStop) directly into BMC ProactiveNet (bypassing PATROL Agent)

Let me know if you need more information about msend.

--
    Regards,
    Oleg

• 6. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Karl NameToUpdate

Hi Oleg,

Yes, we only forward events into BMC. We actually forward configured alerts from the hp NonStop to a Windows service which then uses PatrolCli to forward into BMC. The configuration of what is monitored and alerted against is controlled by our software running on the hp NonStop. We only make use of PatrolCli (at a customers site) and to be honest we have no experience of the wider use of BMC.

The monitoring of the hp NonStop is performed by the software developed by my company.

I've never heard of msend and it would be useful to have some information about it.

If we were to use a different option to provide our alerting then we would need to make changes to our monitoring solution therefore if the PatrolCli method is still working we would need to justify any changes.

Is there any major benefit of using msend instead of PatrolCli?

Are msend and PatrolCli likely to both be available in future releases of the BMC product? We have seen that PatrolCli seems to have been available since BMC PEM ... we wouldn't want to change to use msend and then find it is no longer available in ther next BMC release.

The PatrolCli seems to offer several options which allow the customer to customise alerting to meet their own requirements such as use of the CATALOG as mentioned earlier, type and severity of the alert etc.  Is msend as versatile? 

One final question, which again shows my limited BMC knowledge! I have been trying to check the exact version of BMC that a potential customer will be using since I thought it would be the latest version i.e. BMC ProactiveNet. They have finally told us that it will be BMC version 8 and then version 9 next year ....

Does version 8 and 9 mean anything to you? I couldn't see any references to version numbers on the BMC website.

Note that this version 8 and version 9 is what we would potentially be integrating with and therefore is PatrolCli availble with both of these releases?

Many thanks for all of your help

Karl

• 7. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Jeffrey Hyson

BTW PEM is a discontinued product no longer available from BMC

Re: Is there any major benefit of using msend instead of PatrolCli?

1) Direct communication to the BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management (BPPM) Server's Cell

2) Less components in the integration, less chance of the data failing to arrive into BPPM

Option 1 PatrolCli with BPPM 8.x

hp NonStop Monitoring --> PatrolCli --> Patrol Agent (PA) -->

hp NonStop Monitoring --> PatrolCli -->                      

--> PA running as a Notification Server --> BMC Impact Integration for PEM --> BPPM Cell

Option 2 PatrolCli with BPPM 9.x

hp NonStop Monitoring --> PatrolCli --> Patrol Agent --> BPPM Cell

Option 3 msend with BPPM 8.x/9.x

hp NonStop Monitoring --> msend --> BPPM Cell

msend is a integral part of the Cell component of the BPPM Server, the PatrolCli is a component that comes with a PATROL Agent.  If anything, I would say msend would be around longer than the PatrolCli but at the same time I don't see the PatrolCli being deprecated anytime soon.

Customers using the BMC Event Impact Manager (BEIM) Cell technology have the ability to create custom event types.

The current GA version of BPPM is 8.6 and 9.0 will be GA later this year.

Jeff

• 8. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Oleg Protokolov

Karl,

In addition to Jeff...

PatrolCli vs msend: Top 10 +/-

PatrolCli:
    + (for you) no need the financial resources for redevelopment of integration with BMC ProactiveNet
    + easy to use and create wrapper over utility
    + utility avaliable in PATROL many years and till now
    - need install utility on 'HP NonStop Monitoring' host
    - need username and plain-text password
    - very long path of event (see examples by Jeff)
    - problems with NLS messages (for Russia is a very actual)
    - traffic isn't encrypted
    - need to install the custom event catalogs. IMHO, it's very hard for support.
    - event size is limited by 48KB. So, some events you never see in PEM or BPMM cell Event Manager, if uses default settings of PATROL Agent.

msend:
    + no need username/password
    + traffic encrypted
    + ability to create high-avaliable event adapter, if uses HA BPMM cell
    + you can create your custom event class in BPMM cell and flexible set of processing rules (enrichments, deduplication, filter)
    + short event path: 'HP NonStop Monitoring' -> msend -> 'BPMM cell'
    + no significant problems with NLS messages
    + ability to start msend with -j option (Persistent buffer directory for Poster server)
    + you can build human-readable event message, which can be built based on the slot's values
    - need install utility on 'HP NonStop Monitoring' host
    - need the financial resources for development of a new integration adapter, create custom event class or processing rules in BPMM kb

Several years ago, I build my own Integrartion Adapter for HP SiteScope.
    It uses msend utility and custom BPMM cell classes: JII4SIS_*
    While implementing an adapter, I did not even consider (as a variant) the PatrlCli

--
    Regards,
    Oleg

• 9. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Karl NameToUpdate

Many thanks for the replies Jeff and Oleg.

From your description of msend I think it would be worthwhile trying to gain more information about this solution because of the encryption benefits and also because of the lack of a username / password.

I'm not sure what NLS is but from looking around it seems to be the character set used? Native Language Set? I don't think this would be an issue for us since the alerts we generate will be built from system / application error events on the hp Nonstop plus any configurable text from our monitoring solution.

Where you say "need to install the custom event catalogs. IMHO, it's very hard for support."  ;  is this only a requirement if the customer makes use of the CATALOG command of the PATROLCLI Event Send? If so then I don't think that is an issue since it will be up to the customer to decide if they want to use that option or not. If they want to use that option then we would expect the customer to have configured BMC for that.

The event size isn't an issue either since I think the largest event that will be raised will only be around 500 bytes.

Where you mention "ability to start msend with -j option (Persistent buffer directory for Poster server)", does this mean that msend offers a guaranteed message delivery?

I don't think msend was available when the initial BMC integration development was carried out back in 2003. If it was then we were not aware of it.

Is there any freely available documentation of msend? i.e. the syntax etc.?  I know there is documentation in the support area but since I'm not a BMC developer / customer I have no access to the documents there.

For use of the Patrolcli Event Send, we configured our hp NonStop monitoring solution so that customers used a screen to configure the alerts they wanted to be sent to BMC and the various configurable Event Send parameters such as Catlaog, type, severity etc. We would need to develop a similar configuration screen if we used msend hence the need to understand the msend syntax.

Thanks

Karl

• 10. Re: Use of PatrolCli on Windows
    Oleg Protokolov

Karl, Hi!

1. NSL -> Native Language Support

2. About features of '-j' option you can read in this post:
    https://communities.bmc.com/communities/message/191534#191534
    It's all about performance of your integration adapter, not delivery guarantee...

3. Unfortunately, the official documentation for BMC ProactiveNet isn't a public.
    But, in WWW I found this document (not fresh, but...)
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/57514003/Proactive-Net-User-Guide-v8-5
    Try to ask the BMC this document "BMC ProactiveNet Command Line Interface Reference Guide.pdf"
    Also, for various aspects of usage the msend utility, examples, you can check the other posts of this community.

4. Example of integration adapter (the concept) you can see here
    https://communities.bmc.com/communities/docs/DOC-11402
    IMHO: It very useful materials for your quick start!

see also:
    https://communities.bmc.com/communities/message/75713#75713
    https://communities.bmc.com/communities/message/241061#241061

--

Regards,

Oleg