1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Jun 18, 2013 12:17 PM by Laurent Matheo RSS

AR Server Group with out Load Balancer

Rajesh Kumar R S

All,

Need your assitance to the below. We are on version 7.6.04 and Linux os, Oracle DB.

- We are adding up one more  AR Server to the current production environment with single AR Server to form a server group.

- We tested the load balancer before the mid tier servers and it is working fine

- With load balancer before the two AR server, we are getting RPC Bind failed error. (We are on Port Mapper, is there a way to fix this)

- Client is not ready to fix the load balancer before the AR Server and we are proceeding with only the load balancer in front of the two mid-tier servers.

- Now if there is no load balancer infront of the AR Server, what should be the Server Group Alias Name ? Typically this will be load balancer host name.

- How the mid-tier preference server should be configured so that there is an automatic fail over ?

- I read the white papers on load balancer and server group. But information regarding server group without load balancer is missing.

Kindly give me your inputs.

Regards,

Rajesh

• 1. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Laurent Matheo

First, did you setup your server group?

Second, server group name is whatever you want. Well, respecting dns regulations of course, something like: "sgname".

On the ARS server, it doesn't need to point (be resolved) to the LB in front of the ARS, actually it's better to make it point to the ARS server itself.

So if you have ARS1 and ARS2, "sgname" DNS on ARS1 should point to ARS1, and "sgname" DNS on ARS1 should point to ARS2.

On the mid-tier "sgname" should point to the LB in front of the ARS servers.

Now, if you don't have any LB in front of the ARS and you have two mid-tiers, that means there is no real balancing. So in Mid-tier configuration you should use "sgname" as an ARS server name, but dedicate one Mid-tier on one ARS (direct link).

So for example MT01 should forward to ARS01 and MT02 to ARS02.

In order to do that:

-> on MT01, that means that "sgname" should point (be resolved) to ARS01,

-> on MT02, that means that "sgname" should point (be resolved) to ARS02,

When you'll have a LB in front of the ARS, you'll just have to resolve "sgname" to the LB's IP (on the MT servers).

• 2. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for the clarification. I haven't set up any server group yet. Will be doing it tonight.

So the automatic failover will not happen in this case then?

Regards,

Rajesh

• 3. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Laurent Matheo

Well you'll have the failover at "operation" level. For example if you put FTS indexing on ARS1 at rank1 and FTS at rank2 on ARS2 and ARS1 is down (maintenance / reboot), ARS2 will "failover" the FTS.

Though as MT1->ARS1 and MT2->ARS2, if ARS1 is down, that means that all query that go to MT1 will fail since ARS1 is down.

• 4. Re: AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

Got it!! Let me try out the steps you have defined and get back to you.

But what could be the cause of RPC error when we use the load balancer infront of the AR Servers (on the test environment everything was configured properly from remedy side) ? We are using F5 load balancer.

Regards,

Rajesh

• 5. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Laurent Matheo

Hummm, can you try opening all ports? disabling the portmapper is quite easy, it means, in ar.cfg (and set a TCP port):

Register-With-Portmapper: F

TCD-Specific-Port: 3500

And of course deactivate "ARS portmapper" (or something along this name).

Of course if you had configured the midtiers, change the configuration of ARS servers in mid-tier config page, the TCP port would be "3500" now.

• 6. Re: AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

I tried assigning a port, disabling the port mapper even before posting it here. It din't help us. Only thing that changed was the the RPC error message.

• 7. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Laurent Matheo

Is the port opened in the LB?

• 8. Re: AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

Yes. For  now, I will implement it without the ARS load balancer. Once this is sucessful, I can go with the load balancer fixing. Because we on tight time line.

• 10. Re: AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

Hi Good Day!! I tried configuring the primary server as per the server group white paper. What happened is that the plugin server stopped responding and users where not getting autheticated with their AD account. ARERR (8760) Cannot establish a network connection to the AR System Plug-in Serve is the error message and ARSYS.ARDBC.......... RPC program not registered.

• 11. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Laurent Matheo

Can you check in the pluginsvr_config.xml files and config files if you used the server name? You shouldn't use the server group name but the ars server name.

• 12. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

I din't replace them with the server group name. Still the error is coming. I haven't done any changes to the pluginsvr_config file. All I did was

1. 1.      OnPrimary Server, AdministrationConsole > General > System Information, then select the Configurationtab. Then, select the Server Group Member check box and click Apply.
    2. 2.      Backupthe ar.conf original file
    3. 3.      Server-Group-Member:setting is set to T(Server-Group-Member: T )
    4. 4.      Multiple-ARSystem-Servers:T
    5. 5.      Server-Name– xxexample
    6. 6.      Server-Connect-Name– Host name of the Primary Server.
    7. 7.      Domain-Name– Lowest sub domain name
    8. 8.      IP-Name– The possible ways the client could connect to this server
    9. 9.      Restartthe server and test the functionality
    10. 10.  Updatehost file on all the servers to resolve the host name.
  • 13. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Laurent Matheo

That's weird.

IP-Name is the IP, DNS and DNS "long" of the other ARS members of the server group.

In host file, the server group name should resolve to the ARS server IP itself.

Server-Name should be the server group name.

Server-Connect-Name should be the ARS name / IP.

• 14. AR Server Group with out Load Balancer
    Rajesh Kumar R S

The values given for parameters in my previous post were just examples. But the values I had given was in line with what you have said, but no luck.

I am seeing certain posts that the pluginsvr_config and all the entries for Server Plugin Alias should point to the server group name and not the ar server. But this is not given in the white paper for server group configuration.

1 2 3 Previous Next