7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2019 5:11 AM by Carl Wilson

Difference between OLA and SLA

Share This:

Hi Team

Is there any functional difference between the SLA and OLA? I am aware that in OLA, is interal agreement with teams whereas SLA is between customer and service provider.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA

Hi All,

I have the same question. What's the exact difference practically between OLA and SLA values for agreement types?

How the values setting differ when it's attached to an incident ticket for example?

Regards,

Jhansi

• 2. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA

For instance you can differentiate the calendar (service calendar for sla and support group calendar for support group)

After, in term of implementation, there are for me no difference (i say at tool level, of course it's different in trrm of process)

• 3. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA

Hi Sunita,

There are 3 types of Agreement:

1) Service level agreements (SLAs) - agreements between the customer and the service provider.

2) Operational level agreements (OLAs) - created to track internal processes.It may be within departments of one organization.

3) Underpinning contracts (UCs) - used to track performance against a prearranged agreement(SLAs)It supports main SLA The agreement is done by your service team with an external service provider.

Hope this will help you..!!

Regards,

Kalyani Shaha

• 4. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA
                Phindiwe Moshoele

Hi All

I understand the definitions however I need to understand this in a practical way.

Especially in an environment with multiple service providers.

Please may you provide examples... it gets a bit confusing when trying to explain to a customer.

Regards,

Phindi

• 5. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA
                  Vikas Mahamuni

Hi

SLA's you can define as response SLA, resolution SLA

For example you can define Response\Resolution SLA as

P1 Incidents - Less than 30 mins -- Any incident raised with P1 needs to be responded\resolved in less than 30 mins

P2 Incidents - Less than 2 Hours -- Any incident raised with P2 needs to be responded\resolved in less than 2 Hours

P3 incidents - Less than 8 Hours -- Any incident raised with P2 needs to be responded\resolved in less than 8 Hours

P4 incidents - Less than 24\48 Hours -- Any incident raised with P2 needs to be responded\resolved in less than 24\48 Hours

And you can set priority matrix for the P1 to P4 with different measures like all business operations are down is considered as P1, One site or multiple Site Downs then consider it as P2, Few users or support teams are impacted consider it as P3, Single user impacted consider it as P4, etc.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA
                    Phindiwe Moshoele

I understand this this but how does the Underpinning contracts work with SLAs.

I just need to explain this practically. I understand OLA just fine.

• 7. Re: Difference between OLA and SLA
                      Carl Wilson

Hi,

In general terms, the following applies although it is up to the business on how they want to distinguish and report against the terms.

SLA > Service Target with a Service Provider

OLA > Service Target with internal business unit

UPC > Service Target with a third party Vendor

Cheers

Carl

1 of 1 people found this helpful