10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2012 3:10 PM by Lazar NameToUpdate

RedHat patch analysis error

Gerardo Bartoccini

Hi,

IHAC which is experiencing the following issue while attempting to run Patch Analysis on Linux RedHat.

(due to a known issue on missing dependencies, we asked them to upgrade to BL 8.0 SP10 which they did)

• They successfully updated catalog
      • They created a patch analysis job and excluded a package for testing purposes (amanda*)

Capture.PNG

• They ran the Patch Analysis Job, and got the following error:

ERROR  25-mag-2012 13.55.25

STDERR:

ERROR::YUM dry run failed

ERROR::*******************************************

ERROR::YUM unable to complete analysis for either of the following reasons

ERROR::-- An rpm required as a part of dependency is in the exclude list

ERROR::-- The patch respository is incomplete and dependencies are missing in repository

ERROR::YUM listed

ERRORs below

ERROR::Missing Dependency: libamserver-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) is needed by package amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 (installed)

ERROR::-- The patch respository is incomplete and dependencies are missing in repository

ERRORs below

ERROR::Missing Dependency: librestore-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) is needed by package amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 (installed)

ERRORs below

ERROR::Missing Dependency: libamanda-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) is needed by package amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 (installed)

ERRORs below

ERROR::Missing Dependency: libamclient-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) is needed by package amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 (installed)

ERRORs below

ERROR::Missing Dependency: libamtape-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) is needed by package amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 (installed)mv: cannot stat `/var/tmp/stage/LinuxCatalog_2002160_ws-pak-rhel-01/rpm-includes.lst': No such file or directory

• After this, they tried to exclude a different package, and chose amtu:

Capture2.PNG

• This time everything ran fine, and they could remediate missing patches and run some successfully PAJ's before and after remediating the server.

I wonder if the issue is with the specific excluded packages, or if there is something wrong at catalog level.

BTW, the amanda packages are part of the catalog:

Capture3.PNG

and have been successfully downloaded when updating the catalog:

/blpatch/RedHat_5_x64/catalog_2000098/RHES5x86_64/amanda-devel-2.5.0p2-9.el5.i386.rpm

/blpatch/RedHat_5_x64/catalog_2000098/RHES5x86_64/amanda-server-2.5.0p2-9.el5.x86_64.rpm

/blpatch/RedHat_5_x64/catalog_2000098/RHES5x86_64/amanda-2.5.0p2-9.el5.x86_64.rpm

/blpatch/RedHat_5_x64/catalog_2000098/RHES5x86_64/amanda-client-2.5.0p2-9.el5.x86_64.rpm

/blpatch/RedHat_5_x64/catalog_2000098/RHES5x86_64/amanda-2.5.0p2-9.el5.i386.rpm

/blpatch/RedHat_5_x64/catalog_2000098/RHES5x86_64/amanda-devel-2.5.0p2-9.el5.x86_64.rpm

Now, and old issue seems to come back: the missing dependencies refer to amanda 2.8 while the ones in the catalog is 2.9

Any suggestions?

• 1. RedHat patch analysis error

ERROR::Missing Dependency: libamserver-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) is needed by package amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 (installed)

This yum error is genuine but nothing wrong with the Catalog

because one or more of the packages which are *included* and available for update are trying to update a librray which is requried by the *installed* pacakge amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64  

This is becuase the new update for this package has been excluded

So, when u do not exclude this package, the new version of the package does not mind the update of the library libamserver-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit).

• 2. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
            Gerardo Bartoccini

Thanks Rohit, let me clarify what is the requirement.

·        Our customer runs a patch analysis job with no excludes/includes.

·        The job provides a list of missing patches

·        The customer provides the list to their internal customers for approval

·        Internal customers “may” come back to them saying “please exclude package A or package B” which they do

·        Then they got the error

I understand yum expects the latest package to be installed in order to identify dependencies.

However, I may have a package installed on my system which I don’t want to upgrade/update for some reasons (for instance, product compatibility)

What’s the workaround for this?

• 3. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
              Bill Robinson

You really don’t want to exclude A or B from the deploy like that.  you should re-run analysis and exclude A or B and then use those results to do the deploy so dependencies are handled correctly.

• 4. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
                Gerardo Bartoccini

Correct. My fault. I was not clear enough. Let me clarify:

• Our customer runs a patch analysis job with no excludes/includes.
                • The job provides a list of missing patches
                • The customer provides the list to their internal customers for approval
                • Internal customers “may” come back to them saying “please exclude package A or package B”
                • They exclude package A or package B from the PAJ
                • They re-run the PAJ and got the error (only for some packages, maybe. But I should explain why this is happening)

In other words, what's the best practice to exclude amanda packages successfully?

• 5. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
                  Bill Robinson

Add them to the exclude list like you are doing.  what are the errors ?

• 6. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
                    Gerardo Bartoccini

See my first post

• 7. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
                      Soundappan Shanmugam

Hi ,

Better use the guide prepared by Lazar, It would be helpful

Attached the same

___

Cheers…

Soundappan Shanmugam

HP:  +91 9711156098

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
                        Bill Robinson

so did you get past the original error or does this still happen?  it looks like you just needed to fiddle w/ the exclude list a bit.

• 9. Re: RedHat patch analysis error
                          Gerardo Bartoccini

Thanks Bill. Customer is unavailable this week, so I plan to talk to them early next week.

• 10. Re: RedHat patch analysis error

Rohit has answered the question correctly (not that I'm doubting you ), but let me try to explain one more time what the error means, why you would see the error with some patches but not the others, and finally how to proceed to a "green check"

(1) What the error means?

- You have amanda-client-2.5.0p2-8.el5.x86_64 installed on the system, and you have newer version of this in the Catalog that you excluded.
                            - You have some RPM installed (we'll call it RPM_X) on the system that's responsible for this file: libamserver-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) which is also installed.
                            - You did not exclude the RPM_X from your analysis job, and your Catalog has a newer version of RPM_X.
                            - You excluded the RPM (amanda-client) that happens to be dependent on RPM_X
                            - During Analysis, yum finds a newer version for RPM_X, but since RPM_X is a dependency for amanda-client, then Yum needs to update amanda-client as well. Since amanda-client is explicitely excluded from analysis, Yum will not be updating amanda-client. Since amanda-client cannot be updated, it requires the presence of the older dependent file libamserver-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) to be on the system, so it cannot allow the RPM_X to be updated, causing you the error message.
                            This is what I tried to relay in the guide as an explanation for: Missing Dependency: [rpm1] = [version] is needed by package [rpm2-version.arch] (installed)
                            NOTE: (installed) and (repo) at the end of the message are totally different issues.

(2) Why is the issue only present with some excluded patches?

If you are lucky enough to exclude an RPM which has no dependencies, or it has dependencies but your Catalog does not have an update for dependency, then you will not see the issue.

(3) How to resolve this issue?

Since you are excluding amanda-client, then you also need to make sure that Yum does not try to update other dependency RPMs, so that the installed files like libamserver-2.5.0p2.so()(64bit) are left alone.
                            In this particular situation, you need to find the RPM_X name, and exclude that RPM from your analysis as well (many ways to trace RPM_X; I'll leave it up to you).
                            Warning: since you have now excluded one more RPM, do not be surprised if you see more dependency issues, where we try to update some RPM that dependent on RPM_X. In this case, the new RPM would also need to be excluded, and so on and on until you exclude the RPM that has no dependencies. I tried to relay this concept in the 'Troubleshooting' slide of that error message.

Hopefully this is clear...

Lazar

edit: by the way, the slides alone may not do the justice, please go over the full recording: ftp.bmc.com/pub/BLL1Training