7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2017 4:02 PM by Bill Robinson

Regarding Socks Proxy Usage

Hi,

We are in process of designing the Bladelogic Solution for a customer and we came across a VLAN behind firewall. Now Customer instead of opening ports 4750 accross the vlan issuggesting to use SockS Proxy.

Now I just wanted to understand how the patching and Provisioning would work via Socks Proxy. Also are there any known issues while using Sock Proxy. We are planning to use BL 8.1 SP4.

• 1. Re: Regarding Socks Proxy Usage
          Bill Robinson

All communication is over the agent port and w/ a proxy the communication will go first through the proxy, then to the target system.

Will you be doing provisioning in the new network?  If so, will it be bare metal?  You will need to let the targets access port 9831 on the appservers but there’s a couple ways to do this.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Regarding Socks Proxy Usage

What about known issues and bugs while using Socks Proxy. Does all the functionality of BLpackage Deploy, File Deploy, Compliance, Discovery Audit, Snapshot ,Extended Object etc work flwalessly while using Socks Proxy or there are some limitations to it.

Customer may want to know the risk if there are any.

• 3. Re: Regarding Socks Proxy Usage
              Bill Robinson

I believe for nsh jobs and EOs you must setup the appserver to use a nsh proxy so the flow is EO/script -> nsh proxy -> socks proxy -> target.  that’s the only thing you should need to do.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Regarding Socks Proxy Usage
                Atul Matkar

what is OS and Hardware requirement for socks proxy (Dante as well as wingate) ?

• 5. Re: Regarding Socks Proxy Usage
                  Jim Wilson

Atul Matkar wrote:

what is OS and Hardware requirement for socks proxy (Dante as well as wingate) ?

Please consult wit the vendors

Please don't double (triple!) post

• 6. Re: Regarding Socks Proxy Usage
                    Javier Herraiz Cruces

Hi Bill, Merry Christmas First of All.

I think I have the same problem. I am Trying to run a simple netstat, on a server, that is behind a Proxy Server. Here is my Issue:

• If I open an NSH Screen from my APP Server, and I run nexec $ServerName netstat, it Works perfectly.
                    • If I write the exact same command inside a NSH Script, I run it with a Job, Centralized, and with NO targets, , it keeps telling my "Remote Host is Unknown", it seems, that it is not capable to resolve the HostName on the NSH Script Job.

In which part of the configuration should we check, that everything is correct? I think I am missing some configuration....

Thanks in advanced!!!

JAVI

• 7. Re: Regarding Socks Proxy Usage
                      Bill Robinson

'If I open an NSH Screen from my APP Server, and I run nexec $ServerName netstat, it Works perfectly.'

-> do you mean a 'nsh here' from your console?  maybe going through a nsh proxy?  or do you mean you rdp'd or ssh'd into your appserver and started nsh (configured to use a nsh proxy) or something else  ?

'If I write the exact same command inside a NSH Script, I run it with a Job, Centralized, and with NO targets,'

-> so if you don't have any targets for the job, how does the nexec/script know what server to run the nexec against?  can the appserver resolve the target name or you depend on the socks proxy to do that?  is the nsh client on the appserver configured to use the nsh proxy ?