1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 7:00 AM by Mike Jones

Notification configurition in BSA

Monoj Padhy

Hi,

Could anyone guide me how to configure notification in BSA ?

I have set the parameter for the smtpserver and fromaddress using blasadmin utility.

set email smtpserver value

set email fromaddress value

Is their anything additional configuration need to be done ? Notification is not working fine.

Any idea would be great !!!

Regards,

blsad

• 1. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
          Bill Robinson

If you are trying to send notifications for jobs, you need to configure the option explicitly on each job.

If you are trying to send notification on audit trail events, you need to edit each authorization you want a notification for and configure the notification.

• 2. Notification configurition in BSA
            Monoj Padhy

Configure the option for each job means ?

Are to talking about the notification tab of each job or something else ?

In the notification tab i have specified the email address of the receipient.

• 3. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
              Bill Robinson

Yes, on the ‘notification’ tab of the job or of the job schedule you configure where to send the job notification and when to send it.

Is that working for you ?

• 4. Notification configurition in BSA
                Monoj Padhy

Yes, i have configure in 'notification’ tab where to send the job notification and when to send it, but its not working.

• 5. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                  Bill Robinson

Check your mailserver, do you see a connection from the appserver?

Did you restart the appserver after making the settings changes in blasadmin ?

• 6. Notification configurition in BSA
                    Monoj Padhy

yes, i have done all that you have stated.

I found the following in the appserver.log

[16 May 2012 21:09:55,003] [Job-Execution-2] [WARN] [BLAdmin:BLAdmins:] [ServerProperty] Failed to send notifications.

com.bladelogic.om.infra.mfw.util.BlException: SMTP job run status notification for job update server property failed due to: Unable to send email. Please check your mail configuration.

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.util.NotificationUtil.sendNotifications(NotificationUtil.java:121)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.JobExecutor.sendNotifications(JobExecutor.java:1258)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.JobExecutor.endJobExecution(JobExecutor.java:1395)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.model.job.executor.ServerBasedJobExecutor.endJobExecution(ServerBasedJobExecutor.java:354)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.JobExecutor.checkForJobExecutionEnd(JobExecutor.java:327)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.JobExecutor.processResults(JobExecutor.java:318)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.execution.JobExecutionThread.execute(JobExecutionThread.java:137)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.job.execution.JobExecutionThread.execute(JobExecutionThread.java:25)

at com.bladelogic.om.infra.app.service.thread.BlBlockingThread.run(BlBlockingThread.java:95)

• 7. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                      Bill Robinson

Can you show the mail settings in blasadmin ?

• 8. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                        Monoj Padhy

Pls find the screenshot for smtp configuration.

• 9. Re: Notification configurition in BSA

Have you configured the smtp server name? Following is the 'blasadmin' example for configuring SMTP Server with default/non-default port.

set email smtpserver hostname:<port>

Where 'port' is the port number of the SMTP Server, where it listens to.

• 10. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                            Monoj Padhy

Hi Prabhat,

smtp server is already configured using blasadmin

set email smtpserver smtpout.secureserver.net

I have also tried the command as you stated but no luck. when i tried it gives me the following error

bladmin:default>set email smtpserver smtpout.secureserver.net:25

[17 May 2012 17:07:14,631] [main] [ERROR] Unable to find host: smtpout.secureser

ver.net:25. Check to ensure this is a valid host and is reachable from this server.

Also the syntax for setting smtp server configuration does not contain any such option to specify the port no.

the available option are smtpserver and fromaddress.

pls correct me if i am going wrong.

• 11. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                              Bill Robinson

you restarted the appserver after changing the smtp settings right?

can you also check the mail server logs to see if the appserver tried to connect and was maybe rejected ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                                Monoj Padhy

Appserver tried to connect to mail server and in the mail server log i found the below error

554 Invalid HELO format

As Prabhat mentioned the below command for smtp server configuration but didnt worked for me.

set email smtpserver hostname:<port>

Could you please comment on this. Is their any way to specify port no of smtp server through blasadmin?

It seems logical to me for specifing port no on which smtp server listens, but i am little doubtful as the command did not worked for me.

I found only "set email smtpserver hostname" for configuring smtp server through blasadmin.

if i am correct then how appserver communicate with the smtp server without specifing any port no.

Kindly suggest !!!

• 13. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                                  Bill Robinson

You are using the fqdn for the server?

You should talk to your mail server admin about what might cause that error.  you should not need to use a custom port – that message means you are atleast connecting to the server, but the configuration of the mail server is preventing you from sending mail.

• 14. Re: Notification configurition in BSA
                                    Monoj Padhy

Thanks Bill for your valuable guideline and help.

As appserver is contacting to mail server so surely their must be something(some mail policy perhaps) that rejecting appserver to send mail.

I will talk to mail server admin regarding the same.

Though their is no need to specify port no still, is it possible to specify port no for smtp server ? If yes then how . I have no idea regarding this (Just for knowledge point of view)

Thanks

blsad

1 2 Previous Next